Change I would like to see in Bowl selection

HawkGA

Reaction score
Just quit with the conference tie-ins, at least for the NY6 Bowls. They lead to much crappier matchups than we need. We could have Georgia and Ohio State play each other. Instead, Georgia play Texas and Ohio State plays Washington. Those are two crappy games when we could have teams matched up based on ranking and provide better games.

D

DomeHawk

HawkGA":1v27ikxp said:
Just quit with the conference tie-ins, at least for the NY6 Bowls. They lead to much crappier matchups than we need. We could have Georgia and Ohio State play each other. Instead, Georgia play Texas and Ohio State plays Washington. Those are two crappy games when we could have teams matched up based on ranking and provide better games.

The conference tie-ins are the last vestiges the traditional bowl games. For those of us who treasure tradition it is all we have left of college football pageantry that is morphing into professional football.

drrew

Reaction score
The Rose Bowl actually means something because it's the Big10 vs Pac12.

Remove the conference tie in, and it's just another game.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Mike Leach said it best. Playoff. There’s literally ONE level of football that can’t figure it out.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1levmp69 said:
HawkGA":1levmp69 said:

The conference tie-ins are the last vestiges the traditional bowl games. For those of us who treasure tradition it is all we have left of college football pageantry that is morphing into professional football.

I had a friend (Big-10 fan) make basically the same argument. And I just don't see it. Are you telling me Husky fans wouldn't be excited to go to the Sugar Bowl or the Orange Bowl?

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
drrew":2tj5smt4 said:
The Rose Bowl actually means something because it's the Big10 vs Pac12.

Remove the conference tie in, and it's just another game.

Just another game, but a game with better matchups.

Chapow

Reaction score
HawkGA":2f46ct72 said:
DomeHawk":2f46ct72 said:
HawkGA":2f46ct72 said:

I had a friend (Big-10 fan) make basically the same argument. And I just don't see it. Are you telling me Husky fans wouldn't be excited to go to the Sugar Bowl or the Orange Bowl?

Sure, but the Rose Bowl just means more to us because of history and tradition.

If you can't understand that I don't know what to tell you.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Well, that's fine if the supposed tradition gets certain fan bases' rocks off, but if you're wanting to hit a national audience, getting better matchups is a better idea.

Chapow

Reaction score
Yeah, that's it. It's about "getting my rocks off". :34853_doh:

But sure. Lets go ahead and completely disregard history and tradition going forward and go with whatever match ups you think would be better.

D

DomeHawk

HawkGA":lbw8s1x7 said:
Well, that's fine if the supposed tradition gets certain fan bases' rocks off, but if you're wanting to hit a national audience, getting better matchups is a better idea.

And what makes you think Ohio St - UW matchup will be a crappy game?

drrew

Reaction score
HawkGA":3xm4jgyr said:

Most fans in SEC country are never going to get interested in Pac 12 football, regardless of what level the play is at, so who cares about trying to hit a 'national audience'?

College football only means something because of tradition. Otherwise, just scrap it all, and create an NFL farm system.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1gbg71wh said:
HawkGA":1gbg71wh said:

And what makes you think Ohio St - UW matchup will be a crappy game?

Well, it has the Huskies, for one. :)

But it's also the other matchups that come about as a result. Georgia-Texas has the names of big schools but won't actually be as good of a game as, say, Georgia-Ohio State.

justafan

Reaction score
I am sure alot of you guys in the south especially the older fans still have a special attachment to the Sugar Bowl and New Orleans tradition. That bowl wasnt anything special to me usually but still had some good matchups. Its the same to all Huskey and Pac 12 fans who grew up watching it.It was what west coast teams played for. Winning it is huge for our teams. Now it seems to have lost its importance to many fans. Especially after Oregon finally won one a few years ago.

Latest posts