If you were Murray

HawkGA

Reaction score
Do you play football or baseball?

He's got 4.66 mil basically guaranteed but I think I saw that Mayfield got a guaranteed contract considerably more than that (in the 30s, maybe?). I haven't really looked to see where he is projected to go so I don't know what he could realistically expect.

My initial reaction is to say he should go baseball but after seeing Mayfield's numbers, if he's anywhere in the first, I would think football would be more lucrative.

Rat

Reaction score
I think baseball is closer to a sure thing for him. I know Seahawks fans are the last people who should be ridiculing a QB for being small, but Murray is a lot more Seneca Wallace than Russell Wilson. I'd be concerned about how well his body will hold up.

Also, if he picks baseball, his brain is less likely to be mush by the time he turns 50.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
If it were me, baseball. I'd prefer to make my millions without 325lb beasts trying to crush me.

sutz

Reaction score
Baseball, it's arguably harder to make the bigs, but overall I think the money ends up being better if you make it. MLB players are making insane salaries these days, and tend to have longer careers.

That doesn't account for talent levels, of course.

drrew

Reaction score
Oakland is giving him $5m. Oklahoma isn't giving him anything.

He had fun this year, but easy decision, go play baseball.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
drrew":h66lz0fd said:
Oakland is giving him $5m. Oklahoma isn't giving him anything.

He had fun this year, but easy decision, go play baseball.

Well, presumably it would mean pro football, not staying in college.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":1yvcte4n said:
Baseball, it's arguably harder to make the bigs, but overall I think the money ends up being better if you make it. MLB players are making insane salaries these days, and tend to have longer careers.

That doesn't account for talent levels, of course.

It's the making the bigs part that I think makes this intriguing. I know pretty much nil about MLB but from the article I was reading, there's still a long road to go to actually get into the bigs and make that better money. Where as going the football route, he'd potentially make a pretty good bank from day one.

getnasty

Reaction score
Baseball players get a lot more and there contracts are guaranteed if I remember right. Bryce Harper might sign a deal worth 40 million a year.

Rat

Reaction score
getnasty":k74kl0r0 said:
Baseball players get a lot more and there contracts are guaranteed if I remember right. Bryce Harper might sign a deal worth 40 million a year.

That's insane for a guy who didn't even bat .250 last year. He'll probably get it too.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think he already signed with the team that drafted him and they're allowing him to play this year only. You can play minor league baseball and college football at the same time as I believe Russell did for a year or 2

sdog1981

Reaction score
With the rules set up to protect QB's and the money, they get paid. I think he should go the football route. As opposed to a WR like Jeff Samardzija who was a pitcher. Jeff S's career in football would be over by now, but he will still be able to hang out on MLB roster for another 5 years.

So in summary

If you play QB play NFL.

If you play any other position play baseball.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":12u66lel said:
I'm not sure, but I think he already signed with the team that drafted him and they're allowing him to play this year only. You can play minor league baseball and college football at the same time as I believe Russell did for a year or 2
This is likely what happened..

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't know what his baseball prospects are like.

It's probably not in question that he'll be on an NFL roster before he's on an MLB roster. The NFL and MLB both have similar rookie payscale constructs, in that their earning power is similarly limited for the first several years at the major level.

If he's likely to make a 5-7 year stint in the big leagues, then MLB is the way to go. There is statistically a very small likelihood that he retains a starting job as a QB after his rookie deal expires. He's not a prototype sized QB who is also white who can make a living as a 10 year journeyman backup. So that avenue is not open to him.

Ultimately it rests with which sport can he become a legitimate pro at. If the NFL, he has to be long term starter quality. Second and third contract worthy.

Seafan

Reaction score
He's 5'-9". He's making money playing baseball. It's a safer sport and he won't be drafted by the NFL. If he were a first round NFL pick he'd have a decision to make. He has no decision.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I was not impressed last night. He's fast but he also three several balls in the dirt at a hint of pressure and slid prematurely a couple of times.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The A's control what he plays and when he plays until his baseball contract
is up..He is done with football period until then.He can be drafted if a team
wants to wait for him for 4-5 years.

Latest posts