If you were Murray

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
If you were Murray
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:58 pm
  • Do you play football or baseball?

He's got 4.66 mil basically guaranteed but I think I saw that Mayfield got a guaranteed contract considerably more than that (in the 30s, maybe?). I haven't really looked to see where he is projected to go so I don't know what he could realistically expect.

My initial reaction is to say he should go baseball but after seeing Mayfield's numbers, if he's anywhere in the first, I would think football would be more lucrative.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Re: If you were Murray
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:53 pm
  • I think baseball is closer to a sure thing for him. I know Seahawks fans are the last people who should be ridiculing a QB for being small, but Murray is a lot more Seneca Wallace than Russell Wilson. I'd be concerned about how well his body will hold up.

Also, if he picks baseball, his brain is less likely to be mush by the time he turns 50.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:42 pm
  • If it were me, baseball. I'd prefer to make my millions without 325lb beasts trying to crush me.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:03 pm
  • Baseball, it's arguably harder to make the bigs, but overall I think the money ends up being better if you make it. MLB players are making insane salaries these days, and tend to have longer careers.

That doesn't account for talent levels, of course.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:33 pm
  • Oakland is giving him $5m. Oklahoma isn't giving him anything.

He had fun this year, but easy decision, go play baseball.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:02 pm
  • drrew wrote:Oakland is giving him $5m. Oklahoma isn't giving him anything.

He had fun this year, but easy decision, go play baseball.

Well, presumably it would mean pro football, not staying in college.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:03 pm
  • sutz wrote:Baseball, it's arguably harder to make the bigs, but overall I think the money ends up being better if you make it. MLB players are making insane salaries these days, and tend to have longer careers.

That doesn't account for talent levels, of course.

It's the making the bigs part that I think makes this intriguing. I know pretty much nil about MLB but from the article I was reading, there's still a long road to go to actually get into the bigs and make that better money. Where as going the football route, he'd potentially make a pretty good bank from day one.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:53 pm
  • Baseball players get a lot more and there contracts are guaranteed if I remember right. Bryce Harper might sign a deal worth 40 million a year.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Baseball players get a lot more and there contracts are guaranteed if I remember right. Bryce Harper might sign a deal worth 40 million a year.

That's insane for a guy who didn't even bat .250 last year. He'll probably get it too.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:22 pm
  • I'm not sure, but I think he already signed with the team that drafted him and they're allowing him to play this year only. You can play minor league baseball and college football at the same time as I believe Russell did for a year or 2
    OrangeGravy
    NET Rookie

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:05 pm
  • With the rules set up to protect QB's and the money, they get paid. I think he should go the football route. As opposed to a WR like Jeff Samardzija who was a pitcher. Jeff S's career in football would be over by now, but he will still be able to hang out on MLB roster for another 5 years.

So in summary

If you play QB play NFL.

If you play any other position play baseball.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:54 am
  • OrangeGravy wrote:I'm not sure, but I think he already signed with the team that drafted him and they're allowing him to play this year only. You can play minor league baseball and college football at the same time as I believe Russell did for a year or 2

This is likely what happened..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:02 pm
  • I don't know what his baseball prospects are like.

It's probably not in question that he'll be on an NFL roster before he's on an MLB roster. The NFL and MLB both have similar rookie payscale constructs, in that their earning power is similarly limited for the first several years at the major level.

If he's likely to make a 5-7 year stint in the big leagues, then MLB is the way to go. There is statistically a very small likelihood that he retains a starting job as a QB after his rookie deal expires. He's not a prototype sized QB who is also white who can make a living as a 10 year journeyman backup. So that avenue is not open to him.

Ultimately it rests with which sport can he become a legitimate pro at. If the NFL, he has to be long term starter quality. Second and third contract worthy.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:38 am
  • He's 5'-9". He's making money playing baseball. It's a safer sport and he won't be drafted by the NFL. If he were a first round NFL pick he'd have a decision to make. He has no decision.
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:41 pm
  • I was not impressed last night. He's fast but he also three several balls in the dirt at a hint of pressure and slid prematurely a couple of times.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:11 pm
  • The A's control what he plays and when he plays until his baseball contract
    is up..He is done with football period until then.He can be drafted if a team
    wants to wait for him for 4-5 years.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information