WR-Andy Isabella, UMass, 5-10/195, a true deep threat.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Currently overlooked by the powers that be is a slot WR with game breaking speed and excellent stats. He doesn't get ANY respect, perhaps because the talking heads haven't looked at season stat sheets yet. I suspect after the combine, this kid will be ranked in the top 100-to-150 pick area, possibly even higher when the "analysts" wake up.

--WR-Andy Isabella, UMass, 5-10/195 - currently #258-overall at drafttek.com!!!
2018: 12-games, 102/1698/16.65-YPC, 13-TD’s
(that's an incredible average of 8.5 rec/game, 141.5-yds/game.)
2-95+yd/games, 4-100+yd/games, 1-200+yd/game & 1-300+yd/game, NOTE: Isabella is #1 in FCS in reception yards, #5 in FCS with 13 receiving TD’s currently.

Per PFF: (PFF’s College All-America First Team (@ Wide Receiver)
No FBS receiver was better at hauling in deep passes this season, leading the nation in receiving grade on throws targeted at least 20 yards downfield. Isabella hauled in a staggering 705 yards on deep shots, on just 14 receptions, good enough for an average of 50.4 yards per reception. That’s over half the field on a single reception! Isabella led the nation with nine receiving touchdowns on deep passes. On all passes, Isabella’s 4.16 yards per route run was the top mark in the nation among receivers with at least 200 snaps in route this season, a figure that ranks fifth all-time at PFF, behind Rashard Higgins (2014) – 4.54, Amari Cooper (2014) – 4.25, DaVante Parker (2014) – 4.25, Michael Gallup (2016) – 4.34.

Per Matt Miller’s all sleeper team notes:
Andy Isabella is one of my favorite players in the 2019 draft class. The senior from UMass leads the nation in receiving yards (1,698) and has played well against the best competition in the country. When lining up against the Georgia Bulldogs, he went off for 15 catches, 219 yards and two touchdowns, which should eliminate any talk that he runs up stats against weaker competition. With excellent speed that scouts estimate is in the *low 4.3's* in the 40-yard dash, the 5'10", 190-pound Isabella isn't just a possession receiver. He has legitimate deep speed and has the jacked body type to run through press coverage and handle physical cornerbacks.
See: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/280 ... eam#slide0

I think RW would really apprecuate having Lockett and Isabella on the field at the same time, adding ADB & Moore in 3 and 4 wide receiver sets. With the running game clicking, deep passes over the top fits this kids talents, bombs away.

Edge, DL & OLB may be priorities, but depending on how the draft sorts out a WR in the mid-rounds MAY be possible.
:smilingalien:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sounds like a fighter. Maybe another Cooper Kupp, ignored because of level of competition, which is like saying an NFL win against the lowly division rival 49ers is meaningless.

Hope we get him

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
12/12/18 - A quick 2018 Stat comparison between WR-Marquise Brown & WR-Andy Isabella.

--WR-Marquise Brown, 13-games, 75/1318/17.57-YPC/10-TD's, 5.8-rec/game, 101.4-yds/game
5-100+yd/games, 1-200+yd/game. Many are starting to see Brown as a top 50 pick in the coming draft.
Known as a deep threat & speed demon. Played against some tougher competition & produced well, however IMO, his very slight body (160+) may have injury and lack of availability as his biggest future concern.

--WR-Andy Isabella, 12-games, 102/1698/16.65-YPC/13-TD's, 8.5-rec/game, 141.6-yds/game (in 12-games)
2-95+yd/games, 4-100+yd/games, 1-200+yd/games, 1-300+yd/games. (+ he has +/- 25-30-lbs. on Brown.)
NOTE: In High school, Isabella posted the top 60-yard dash time in the nation according to MileSplit.com, finishing in 6.72 seconds at a Northeast Ohio Indoor Track Conference event at Spire Institute on Jan. 28, 2015. Isabella is also a speed demon deep threat with great production and both are slot WR's.

I think Isabella would be a very nice "consolation prize" for any teams that coveted Brown, likely a couple of rounds later in the draft. A possible Seahawk ADB future heir in a year or three IF there in rd-3/4=? Again, I think RW would love that pick IF it came to be. Go Hawks.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Isabella has "Future Patriot" written all over him. This team truly needs a dominant big bodied receiver. I know Moore is listed at 6'2" 220, but he doesn't look it or play like it. Don't get me wrong, I like Moore, that's just not his game. I first heard about Isabella earlier this year. He seems explosive, but also seems like a one trick pony.

Seafan

Reaction score
His height is in question. Some places list him at 5'-8". Like someone said he sounds like a Patriot.

His a 7th rounder or free agent. He sounds like he'd be a good slot to replace Doug.

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Marquise Brown, at around 160-lbs, would likely place him in the top few in the NFL at that weight & that is certainly more of a concern than an inch or two in height. 160-lb. players are basically injuries waiting to happen. I think Isabella is a little more than a one trick pony, comparing stat lines with Brown, it's obvious that speed is important to both as WR's, but Isabella (who is in the Patriots backyard) has the better body of work & will only drop because of analysts overlooking him and a perceived lack of higher competition. I'd expect Isabella to be a high value pick for any team in rounds 3/4/5. I would almost guarantee that Isabella is in the upper portion of that range on the Patriots draft board as they know a little bit historically about slot receivers there. Personally, I'd take Isabella and his lower draft position over Brown and his Rd 1 or 2 draft position...any day. I do believe WR will be a very viable option after their first 2 picks (DT & EDGE, hopefully). A late round or UDFA - speedy safety - may also be a much bigger need than many think.

I'm touting Isabella as a replacement for ADB a year or 2 down the road. Baldwin is likely on the down side of his career + speed kills & RW loves the deep balls. A heavy run game aided by deep passes to a speed demon WR seems to be the teams preferred tactic these days, so they should draft players that help with that.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hope you don't mind me adding some other receivers to this post.

Viewed generally as a Day 2 prospect, Butler wins downfield with size, catch radius, and strong hands away from his frame.

Standing at 6-foot-6 with vines for arms, Butler regularly embarrassed Big 12 defensive backs this season deep. His long speed is a question mark for some scouts — will he be able to separate downfield in the NFL? —

but he was listed on Bruce Feldman’s Freaks list this season for his 11’1 broad jump and 37″ vertical jump.

Butler’s explosiveness does translate into his route stems, and his strength (340 lb bench) shows up with his surprising YAC ability for a bigger-bodied receiver.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/28/ ... for-draft/

ivotuk

Reaction score
NFL Draft 2019: Here's what D. . Metcalf's neck injury means for him and the WR class

The biggest athletic freak in the 2019 wide receiver draft class..

Ole Miss' D.K. Metcalf hurt his neck ..head coach Matt Luke announced Monday the 6-foot-4, 230-pound wideout would miss the remainder of the year...

Butler fits somewhere in a thick, talented group of big receivers at the top of the Draft.

Ole Miss’ D.K. Metcalf, Arizona State’s N’Keal Harry, Stanford’s JJ Arcega-Whiteside, NC State’s Kelvin Harmon, and Texas’ Collin Johnson are all potential Top-75 picks at WR who tip the scales over 215 pounds and above 6-foot-3.

Butler has the advantage of 2017 tape from the slot and 2018 tape aligned outside; looser hips than most bigger receivers; and a great production profile.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... ver-class/

ivotuk

Reaction score
Athleticism/Size – There are few wide receivers in the 2019 NFL Draft with a better combination of physical profile and raw athleticism than Jalen Hurd. At 6’4 and 229 pounds with length in his arms, he is built similarly to Mike Evans of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A former high school all-american and productive SEC running back, Hurd easily possesses NFL athleticism and will likely prove so at the Senior Bowl and NFL Scouting Combine.

BEST TRAIT – Athleticism / YAC

WORST TRAIT – Stalk blocking technique

RED FLAGS – Was arrested at Tennessee for underage consumption of alcohol

Blocking – A lot of high effort in this regard, showing proper burst and energy. There are a lot of raw tools to work with in this area, but it is also an aspect to his game that needs refinement. Too often, Hurd doesn’t break down and buzz his feet while working into blocks. 

Separation Quickness – Necessary athleticism and smooth cuts in order to separate. At his best at horizontal cuts and working to use his size and length over the middle

YAC - Thrives in space, setting up blocks and gliding past them.

Speed to turn the edge and get up the sideline in a hurry. Has the field vision to avoid potential tacklers and pick up yards in small spaces. Contact balance from his days as a running back is strong.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/29/ ... alen-hurd/

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I agree with you on the potential "tall" WR's in this draft and I really like the physical #'s of Hurd, he should be a late round target that doesn't cost a day 1 or 2 pick for some lucky team, hopefully, the Seahawks.

I could easily see Hurd having the potential to replace 6'-3" WR-Jeron Brown, and hope the Seahawks can find a way to draft him late. I'm a little torn between the tall WR pick (Hurd) and a speed merchant WR pick (Isabella) and IMO, if they can't get both Hurd & Isabella, then they at least should draft Isabella (rd-3/4) as I think he would fit the current team and system better and be a big asset for RW in future years. If the Seahawks can get both, they'd be set at WR for years to come at that position IMO.

If Hurd checks the boxes for the "mental part" of the game & "love of the game of football", he very well could be in the cross-hairs for a late round Seahawk draft pick this year.

From one of my previous post re: WR-Jalen Hurd;
The WR "sleeper" in this bunch may very well be the 6-4/217 Baylor WR-Jalen Hurd, who sat out this last year after he switched positions (RB to WR) & schools (Tennessee & Baylor). The Baylor staff worked him out pretty extensively.
Hurd squatted more than 500 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash consistently in the 4.4-second range, posted a 40-inch vertical jump and ran 20-yard shuttles of 3.8 and 3.9 seconds. For some context, as cited by Hayes, the best vertical jump at this year’s NFL Combine was 41.5 inches and the recent best at the combine in the 20-yard shuttle was 3.81.

Those are some pretty damn good #'s, so, I'm looking forward to the combine to see if they are real #'s, if he hits anywhere near those #'s, he surely is a big time sleeper according to his current rankings & a likely Seahawk target.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
While Isabella is a good WR, he's not the type of receiver that the Seahawks are seeking. IMO, they have plenty of WRs with his size and skills. The type of WR they are currently missing is Sidney Rice type of WR. Tall, possession WR, that can also stretch the field. N'Keal Harry, David Sills V, JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Hakeem Butler are some of those types.

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
IF, they draft Isabella, he would most likely be the fastest player on the team, even faster than Lockett. The Seahawks do have several WR's on their roster that are 6'-2" + that don't currently get used very much. Size and catch radius are important for separation, however, speed (ala Lockett) may also establish separation for a speedy WR with + moves. Wait until the combine to dismiss Isabella, he's going to show some excellent speed & agility #'s that go along with his fantastic production. I say fantastic production because in 2018 he averaged over 141.5-yds per game, way, way far ahead of the #2 WR in yards per game. Isabella is indeed the #1 WR & #1 deep threat in the FCS & is being really overlooked by many.

Note: Isabella seems to be ranked in the #125-overall area by some sites and he'll likely raise up 25-50 spots after he kills the combine, making him a very late round 2 to mid-round 4 type pick. Smaller Slot WR's usually don't go in round 1 and not many go in round 2. With the Seahawks DL, EDGE, LB & CB needs, I can't see them taking a WR before round 3 (or round 4). The above mentioned Jalen Hurd should be an additional target if they can end up with a round 6/7 pick. That would allow the Seahawks to develop their raw but "tall" WR, filling that perceived need. -IMO.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
This class has a lot of sneaky good WRs in it. Too bad we don't have a 2nd this year (although glad we spent it for Brown).

chris98251

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":xc1j6bac said:
This class has a lot of sneaky good WRs in it. Too bad we don't have a 2nd this year (although glad we spent it for Brown).

Yet is missing, we are not going to sit at 21.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2ftx98b6 said:
Attyla the Hawk":2ftx98b6 said:

Yet is missing, we are not going to sit at 21.

Very true. But we won't have two 2nd round picks. Which is what it would take.

Seattle is pretty formulaic in the way they approach drafts. While they do generally trade back, they also avail themselves of the depth of each individual draft. RBs last year. OL in 2016. WR in 2014. In each of these drafts deep in each of these position groups, they moved back and spent their first available pick on them.

The only times they failed to do so was 2017 (DBs), where it is pretty easy to surmise based on the collection of quotes/evidence that we wanted Kevin King but simply traded back too many times. Or 2015 when the depth of OL talent had been depleted before our first available pick at the end of R2.

Otherwise, if a draft has a deep group, it's a safe bet that we'll move back and get one at the tail end of the 'precipice' of talent.

This draft it's about DL. It's a need all teams covet highly. It's one that Seattle currently doesn't have the minimum complement to leverage Clark or Reed's ability. I expect us to trade back (possibly too far) to come away with a player that on draft day leaves us muttering Penny/Ifedi/McDowell 2.0. But also expect it to be a pass rusher.

About the only positions I could see us breaking that mold would be a free safety or OT.

If we're talking about likelihood based on who looks available, I think it'll be DE, OL, TE, WR in that order. This draft has been touted as the DL class, but the underclassmen declares has made this TE group the best since 2010 (Gresham, Gronk, Pitta, Graham, Hernandez, Moeaki, Dickson). Seattle still has potential need there, and can get out of Dickson's contract if needed for roughly 3m in cap savings. I'd expect 6 or so TEs in the top 100 picks. If we do trade back and mistakenly go too far back to get a DE we want, I would think it a strong possibility we recalibrate our board and go back even further to get more picks and start at TE.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think a lot depends on Dissleys recovery, Swoopes is still here as well and this should be his step up year, I liked the limited times I seen him as a willing blocker and good hands.

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Just to clarify previous posts. An interesting Isabella receiving stat that kind of shows his big play & deep threat abilities. In 2018, Isabella played in just 12-games and averaged 8.5 catches & 141.5 yards per game. The 141.5 yards per game was 24 yards per game more than the 2-nd place in FBS WR-Antoine Wesley of Texas Tech. Also of note, the highly touted WR-Marquise "Hollywood" Brown played 14 games and averaged 94.1-yards game, a difference of 47.4-yards per game on average. (that's a lot!)

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/10 ... 5155387392
Gif; Andy Isabella, nice catch, better finish X 2.

naholmes

Reaction score
I like both Isabella but without a 2nd and 3rd I think he’s is out of our price range unless he drops greatly because of size concerns (small stature and hands). A guy who might be available in the 4th is Anthony Johnson who has good size at 6’3” and well rounded skill set but coming off a disappointing 2018 compared to 2017. Sills and Mclaurin are interesting too. All these guys are playing in the senior bowl.

naholmes

Reaction score
Keelan Doss looked really solid in the game and the announcers said he was one of the best route runners in practice. Good size at 6’2” and looks like a good athlete that will excel at the combine. Still he’s from UC Davis and might fall to the late rounds even though he had his best games against strong opponents.

Latest posts