Justin Fields Transferring?

HawkGA

Reaction score
I recall reading an article earlier this year about two sensational Freshman QBs. One was the fellow in Clemson who took over as the starter this year and the other was Fields. But Fields is stuck behind Fromm.

I find it interesting . . . did Fields not realize Fromm was there and only a Freshman when Fields signed with Georgia? Sounds like a bad decision on his part. And now he's going to pay for it by having to lose a year of eligibility.

ESPN is listing FSU, Oklahoma, and Ohio State as likely destination. Let's hope wherever he goes, he does decent research on the current QB situation first. FSU is a hot mess. Both Ohio State and Oklahoma will be looking for new QBs but I'm not sure what their backup situation is. Oklahoma has a streak going with QBs, but that could be a bad thing as he'll constantly be compared to the record setters. But Ohio State has a new coach so that could be dicey too.

So, first the question, where will Fields go?

Second, can we all agree that it sucks the kids has to lose a year of eligibility?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... rn-georgia

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkGA":1rcdpafb said:
I recall reading an article earlier this year about two sensational Freshman QBs. One was the fellow in Clemson who took over as the starter this year and the other was Fields. But Fields is stuck behind Fromm.

I find it interesting . . . did Fields not realize Fromm was there and only a Freshman when Fields signed with Georgia? Sounds like a bad decision on his part. And now he's going to pay for it by having to lose a year of eligibility.

ESPN is listing FSU, Oklahoma, and Ohio State as likely destination. Let's hope wherever he goes, he does decent research on the current QB situation first. FSU is a hot mess. Both Ohio State and Oklahoma will be looking for new QBs but I'm not sure what their backup situation is. Oklahoma has a streak going with QBs, but that could be a bad thing as he'll constantly be compared to the record setters. But Ohio State has a new coach so that could be dicey too.

So, first the question, where will Fields go?

Second, can we all agree that it sucks the kids has to lose a year of eligibility?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... rn-georgia

I've heard that he's likely to get a waiver from the NCAA and not have to sit out a year due to some racial incidents at Georgia. I've also heard that its pretty much a done deal to Ohio State.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hopefully he's able to transfer without losing a year of eligibility. The NCAA really needs to fix that. I suspect the "racial" stuff is just cover for a reason for the waiver.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
But the rule doesn't punish the schools, it punishes the kids who already have a limited time to do their thing.

D

DomeHawk

HawkGA":2r34gj3d said:
But the rule doesn't punish the schools, it punishes the kids who already have a limited time to do their thing.

Exactly, it's called deterrent.

D

DomeHawk

DomeHawk":22y4e0j6 said:
HawkGA":22y4e0j6 said:

Exactly, it's called deterrent.

If you didn't have these kinds of rules there would be substantially more rule's infractions with boosters, sport's agents, and possibly the schools themselves offering large sums of money/perks to get players to transfer.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Maybe cost the school two scholarships instead of one. May not be perfect, but I'm sure a little creativity could be used to come up with a solution rather than costing a kid 25% of their college career.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HawkGA":1i49ts7u said:

There are provisions to petition the eligibility rule. However, i side with Dome here. Without it, the landscape of college sports would be chaos.

I do think, however, players should be given a chance to transfer without penalty if the head coach leaves or is fired.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Wow, really expected a more pro-student athlete view on this board. As I mentioned above, there are ways to keep transfers down without costing the student a year of eligibility. You could make them go a year without scholarship and pay their own way (except that would favor wealthier kids), punish the school in some way (make a transfer student count as double scholarship for a year), make the student sit out a year but not lose the year of eligibility. A little more creativity could go a long way.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that he won't lose a year of eligibility. That incident was something that no young man (or anyone) should have to face.

D

DomeHawk

As J and Si pointed out, there are ways to petition the NCAA for exceptional circumstances.

D

DomeHawk

HawkGA":1j1js87s said:
Wow, really expected a more pro-student athlete view on this board. As I mentioned above, there are ways to keep transfers down without costing the student a year of eligibility. You could make them go a year without scholarship and pay their own way (except that would favor wealthier kids), punish the school in some way (make a transfer student count as double scholarship for a year), make the student sit out a year but not lose the year of eligibility. A little more creativity could go a long way.

Has nothing to do with being pro student athlete, it's about protecting the integrity of collegiate athletics.

Some of the ideas you guys come up with reminds me of the phrase: "be careful what you wish for."

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
kobebryant":43l9deoe said:
I'm glad to hear that he won't lose a year of eligibility. That incident was something that no young man (or anyone) should have to face.

What incident was that exactly?

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2n38fqzt said:
As J and Si pointed out, there are ways to petition the NCAA for exceptional circumstances.

I hate exceptions. They are prime for abuse and favoritism and just a general lack of uniform application. I would much rather see a policy that could be applied uniformly and wasn't punitive to the student.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
This article covers the alleged racial incident. Obviously don't want to tread to far on this per forum rules, but if this is what qualified for an exception, the exception rule is a joke. Happened in October and the person who did it (a baseball player) was dismissed. What more was the school supposed to do? Make no mistake, the transfer is about one thing and one thing only: playing time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo. ... 44331.html