Kickers in the draft

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards bigger kickers that play in cold weather. Reading through the rankings, the top rated kickers are about 5'11" and play in warm climates.

So IMHO, a bigger kicker like Hauschka or SeaBass, is going to have more power. Plus if they play in colder climates, the air is denser, the ball is harder, and that's going to make for tough kicking.

Whereas a kicker like Blair Walsh played at Georgia, but Mason Crosby played at Colorado.

So who am i currently leaning towards? Pre Bowl Games (high pressure kicking), i like

Matt Gay, K, Utah
Height: 6-1. Weight: 220.
Projected Round (2019): 5-7.
12/22/18: Gay is 24-of-29 thus far in 2018 with a long of 55 yards.

8/30/18: Gay was very accurate for Utah in 2017, connecting on 88 percent of his field goals (30-of-34). He had a long field goal of 56 yards, which he made twice. Gay also had field goals of 53 and 50 yards. He missed twice in the 40-yard range.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019K.php#ixzz5b1fUr4Mu

Quinn Nordin*, K, Michigan
Height: 6-1. Weight: 206.
Projected Round (2020): 6-FA.
12/22/18: Nordin is 11-of-16 in 2018 with a long of 50 yards.

8/30/18: Nordin was very accurate from deep distances in 2017, hitting 4-of-5 in the 40-yard range and then 2-of-3 in the 50-yard-plus range with a long of 55 yards. He had some issues in the 30s, missing three of 10 attempts. For the season, he was 19-of-24 (79.2) percent.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019K.php#ixzz5b1g4oLAz

Threedee

Reaction score
Don't know if Jet Toner is in the draft, but I've wanted him to be a Seahawk ever since I first heard his name.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Matt Gay is really good, very consistent. I'd take a flyer on him.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
With (just a little) respect toward walterfootball.com, here is a list of pure stats for field goal kickers this year. Matt Gay is #25 on this list and all of the seniors ahead of him are from Southern climates, that may have some significance. I agree that a field goal kicker should be a position they consider with a late round pick or more likely as an UDFA. I think it may be a valid consideration of importance re: kickers size, however, if he kicked a lot at higher altitudes, that has some importance as well, allowing for longer field goals that can influence their overall kicking stats.

FCS - National field goal stats. (Click header for past years performances, I wanted Griffin Oakes last year who was near the top of these stats and he went undrafted and as far as I know, wasn't even an UDFA.)

LINK: http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/leader/nat ... ort01.html

:smilingalien:

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Walter football is a convenient source of information, but they make a lot of blunders in their picks and comments.

Does the list you linked have an option to show FG distances or other info on the kickers?

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Mel Kiper only lists 3 kickers.

John Barron 'll San Diego State.

Rodrigo Blankenship Georgia

Matt Gay Utah

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't have much in the way of stats to add to this discussion, but I want Rodrigo Blankenship badly.

With how fun this team has become, absolutely full of attitude... how could it not be destiny that our kicker be an absolute mascot?

I want him bad

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
fenderbender123":x25yr5s3 said:
Let's get Gay.

You’re already there fender.

Let's go get this guy!

[youtube]kRJyphIFEe4[/youtube]

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":35aqcawz said:
fenderbender123":35aqcawz said:
Let's get Gay.

You’re already there fender.

Let's go get this guy!

[youtube]kRJyphIFEe4[/youtube]
Holy turds! Right or Left...that's super cool.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Staying in the state of Utah, Utah State has a kicker named Dominik Eberle who I feel is every bit as good as Gay. I’ve been watching him all year and would love for the Hawks to pick him as an UDFA. I would love to see two USU Aggies on the team again as an Alumn myself.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
rjdriver":mlam2mdc said:
Staying in the state of Utah, Utah State has a kicker named Dominik Eberle who I feel is every bit as good as Gay. I’ve been watching him all year and would love for the Hawks to pick him as an UDFA. I would love to see two USU Aggies on the team again as an Alumn myself.

Dominik Eberle

Good prospect. 3 of 5 for 50+ field goals. Made all 3 in a home game. Missed at Wyoming and at Boise State.

40 - 49 He's 7 of 8.

Extra Points... 75 Attempted, 75 Made. Scored 141 Points in 2018.

Each year his accuracy improved.

2016 he only kicked 5 FG, made 3 for 60.0%

2017 he was 18 of 24 for 75%

2018 he was 22 o 28 for 78.6%

6'2" 195# from Germany, so should be pretty tough and may have some soccer experience.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/pl ... nik-eberle

Utah State sophomore Dominik Eberle was named a finalist for the 2017 Lou Groza Collegiate Place-Kicker Award,

Eberle is one of three finalists to land on the list, joining Daniel Carlson of Auburn and Matt Gay of Utah. He and Gay are just the second and third players from the Beehive State (Utah’s Louie Sakoda in 2008) to be named a Lou Groza finalist

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... Award.html

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
More on Eberle

2018 PRESEASON HONORS: Athlon Sports Second-Team All-American; Athlon Sports First-Team All-Mountain West.
HONORS: Phil Steele Third-Team All-American (2017); SB Nation Honorable Mention All-American (2017); First-Team All-Mountain West (2017); Phil Steele First-Team All-Mountain West (2017); Lou Groza Award Finalist (2017); Academic All-Mountain West (2017).

UTAH STATE CAREER RECORDS: Tied for first all-time at USU in extra point percentage (1.000) as he is a perfect 47-of-47... Ranks fourth all-time in school history in field goal percentage (.724) as he has made 21-of-29 attempts.

UTAH STATE SINGLE-SEASON RECORDS: Was a perfect 47-of-47 on extra points in 2017 and that conversion percentage is tied for first all-time at USU... His 47 extra points made in 2017 ranks third all-time at USU, while his 47 extra point attempts ranks fourth... Was 18-of-24 on field goal attempts in 2017, to rank third all-time in field goals made and tied for fourth in field goals attempted, while his 75.0 conversion percentage is tied for ninth... His 101 points scored in 2017 rank as the sixth-most in a single-season in school history, including the second-most by a kicker.

UTAH STATE SINGLE-GAME RECORDS: Set a school record for points scored by a kicker with 19 at San José State (9/23/17) as he was a perfect 4-of-4 (23, 52, 20, 27) on field goals and 7-for-7 on extra points... Those 19 points scored are the second-most by a kicker in Mountain West history and the most by a non-senior... His 52-yard field goal at SJSU is tied for the 10th-longest in school history.

UTAH STATE: A very good kicker who possesses a very strong leg.

https://utahstateaggies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=309

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Gay and Baron both playing in Shrine game. Probably the two best PK prospects.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks need to bring in SEVERAL place kickers to compete for Seabass's old job. Here is a "local" Sr. place kicker @ Eastern Washington (FCS); PK-Roland Alcobendas, 5-11/180, likely will go undrafted, but because he's a local, he wouldn't count against the total of players met with & worked out pre-draft. So, a free workout look see.

Alcobendas won the 2018 Fred Mitchell Award as the Nations top collegiate PK in non FBS schools. Alcobendes was 16 for 16 on field goals in 2018, also setting a school record for consecutive extra points made (85). Not exactly a "big" guy, but from Northern climes and appears to have very good accuracy on his kicks. A likely UDFA that can be brought in after the draft for the coming Seahawks multiple player - place kicker competition.
:smilingalien: