Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Today's (December 29) Bowl Games

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Today's (December 29) Bowl Games
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:16 pm
  • Florida is reminding Michigan why Michigan wouldn't want to play in the SEC.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Re: Today's (December 29) Bowl Games
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:59 pm
  • South Carolina loses 28-0 to Virginia. When do they get kicked out of the SEC for losing?
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:02 pm
  • The only big games South Carolina winds are against Georgia early in the season.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:42 pm
  • Someone beat Alabama please. Anyone.
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:58 pm
  • They need to stop letting teams other then Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and Ohio state in the playoffs. These games aren’t even competitive.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:20 pm
  • So they should stop letting the best teams in? Yep, that sounds like a PAC-12 fan.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:47 pm
  • Gosh damn I cannot stand nick saban. Such a whiner
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:12 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:So they should stop letting the best teams in? Yep, that sounds like a PAC-12 fan.

Think you misread my post, actually I’m saying they SHOULD put the 4 best teams in, not the 4 teams with the best records.Even if they’re all from the sec and have a couple losses. Sure Notre Dame was undefeated, but is there anybody who actually thought they were one of the 4 best teams?
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:41 pm
  • I don't think it would've mattered who they put in against Alabama and Clemson, the Tide and Tigers would've still won handily.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:25 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:So they should stop letting the best teams in? Yep, that sounds like a PAC-12 fan.

Think you misread my post, actually I’m saying they SHOULD put the 4 best teams in, not the 4 teams with the best records.Even if they’re all from the sec and have a couple losses. Sure Notre Dame was undefeated, but is there anybody who actually thought they were one of the 4 best teams?

Weird thing is, I read it the same way as HawkGA read it. Maybe it needs a comma somewhere? Or grammar correcting?

Anybody else read that post as "keeping those 4 teams out?"
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:52 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:So they should stop letting the best teams in? Yep, that sounds like a PAC-12 fan.

Weird thing is, I read it the same way as HawkGA read it. Maybe it needs a comma somewhere? Or grammar correcting?

Somebody get iRo in here for an edit!

I don't know that Notre Dame is one of the 4 best, but I'm not sure who I would replace them with. Georgia is darn good, but 2 losses and having just lost to Alabama on a neutral field, I don't think they should have gotten in. Ohio State? Meh. Maybe. Ultimately, I don't have a problem with Notre Dame getting in because I just don't know a clear cut better alternative.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:52 pm
  • The Power 5 should band together to keep Notre Dame out of the New Years Six until they join a conference.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:46 am
  • washington might have been closer to alabama than oklahoma turned out to be. as an aside, that (freshman?) wideout on oklahoma -- rambo? looks like a future pro. just a hunch... oh and about half a dozen players from the alabama defense...
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:16 am
  • HawkGA wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:

Somebody get iRo in here for an edit!

I don't know that Notre Dame is one of the 4 best, but I'm not sure who I would replace them with. Georgia is darn good, but 2 losses and having just lost to Alabama on a neutral field, I don't think they should have gotten in. Ohio State? Meh. Maybe. Ultimately, I don't have a problem with Notre Dame getting in because I just don't know a clear cut better alternative.

I read it really fast and glossed over the intent. I just now read it again and it reads only those 4 should be there as they are the best teams. I read it slower and got the true meaning. All the words matter in this instance.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:34 am
  • I can’t see how anyone can say they enjoyed watching those games. NCAAF is the most unbalanced and non competitive league in all of sport I think with the NBA a close second. The model is clearly broken. Not sure how long a league can go on with allowing a handful of schools to choose from the very best players.

This actually reminds me of stacked little league teams that play down a couple levels to warm up for their “real season”. It is pretty much antithetical to the concept of sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:35 am
  • Create a real playoff and I’ll watch Bowl Games. Until then, PAC-12 Championship is the last game of the season for this guy.
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:41 am
  • Milehighhawk wrote:I can’t see how anyone can say they enjoyed watching those games. NCAAF is the most unbalanced and non competitive league in all of sport I think with the NBA a close second. The model is clearly broken. Not sure how long a league can go on with allowing a handful of schools to choose from the very best players.

This actually reminds me of stacked little league teams that play down a couple levels to warm up for their “real season”. It is pretty much antithetical to the concept of sport.

Huh? Every school gets to go out and recruit the players they choose to recruit. It's up to the coaches to sell these kids on their program. I will agree that schools have different recruiting budgets and maybe the NCAA should put a limit on those budgets to even the playing field a little. I think that for the elite players, their decision comes down to which school will best prepare them to play on Sundays. Right now, it's hard to argue against Alabama and Clemson.
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:32 am
  • To prevent these continuously awful semifinal games, they need to expand to 8 teams in the playoff. I stated this premise before, but one of the reasons is teams like ND and OU would be eliminated in the 1st round and quality teams like Georgia and OH St would likely win so you would truly have the best 4 teams and much better matchups in the semis and final.

ND may have been undefeated but their talent level is nowhere near Georgia's. You expand to 8, the best will prevail.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:39 am
  • West TX Hawk wrote:To prevent these continuously awful semifinal games, they need to expand to 8 teams in the playoff. I stated this premise before, but one of the reasons is teams like ND and OU would be eliminated in the 1st round and quality teams like Georgia and OH St would likely win so you would truly have the best 4 teams and much better matchups in the semis and final.

ND may have been undefeated but their talent level is nowhere near Georgia's. You expand to 8, the best will prevail.

There was an excellent thread someone made with a college football playoff system that made a ton of sense. Basically every D-1 conference champion in a bracket. Seemed legit to me.
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:02 pm
  • I dont think letting 4 more teams that have a slim chance of beating Alabama or Clemson is going to solve anything.

Every week is a playoff for teams wanting to be Champs. After watching how the season unfolded you knew who the 3 best teams were. After the SEC Championship game you knew who was NO 1. The 4th and 5th best teams were just lambs being led to a slaughter.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:38 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:
    Milehighhawk wrote:I can’t see how anyone can say they enjoyed watching those games. NCAAF is the most unbalanced and non competitive league in all of sport I think with the NBA a close second. The model is clearly broken. Not sure how long a league can go on with allowing a handful of schools to choose from the very best players.

Huh? Every school gets to go out and recruit the players they choose to recruit. It's up to the coaches to sell these kids on their program. I will agree that schools have different recruiting budgets and maybe the NCAA should put a limit on those budgets to even the playing field a little. I think that for the elite players, their decision comes down to which school will best prepare them to play on Sundays. Right now, it's hard to argue against Alabama and Clemson.

The point is that it isn’t a remotely even playin field when it comes to attracting players. This is proven year after year looking at class rankings. It is a broken talent acquisition system that right now has no end in sight. The NFL is far from perfect but this situation was part of the genesis of the Salary Cap system. There are pretty much zero meaningful controls in the NCAA. Scholarship caps are meaningless.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:25 pm
  • It's not fair that Harvard gets all the smartest and most ambitious high school students while Eastern Washington has to settle for average students. Not sure how much longer this can go on before the entire collegiate education system collapses.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:28 pm
  • So question...since Oklahoma got beat by Alabama just as bad as Washington did in 2016, and since Notre Dame got beat by Clemson even worse, are people going to say "Well, these teams had their chance in the playoffs and were absolutely embarrassed. They don't deserve to be invited back." ???

Or is that just something people wanted to say about Washington just because?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:33 pm
  • justafan wrote:I dont think letting 4 more teams that have a slim chance of beating Alabama or Clemson is going to solve anything.

Every week is a playoff for teams wanting to be Champs. After watching how the season unfolded you knew who the 3 best teams were. After the SEC Championship game you knew who was NO 1. The 4th and 5th best teams were just lambs being led to a slaughter.

Not sure if Georgia agrees with that right now.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:00 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:It's not fair that Harvard gets all the smartest and most ambitious high school students while Eastern Washington has to settle for average students. Not sure how much longer this can go on before the entire collegiate education system collapses.

I know your schtick is running around being an assclown unchecked but clearly false equivalence.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:17 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:So they should stop letting the best teams in? Yep, that sounds like a PAC-12 fan.

At least most Pac-12 fans at least have a real connection to their school or school's community

Anyone can just pick a dominant program and then feign superiority over something they have absolutely nothing to do with.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:58 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:

At least most Pac-12 fans at least have a real connection to their school or school's community

Anyone can just pick a dominant program and then feign superiority over something they have absolutely nothing to do with.

Do you often make assumptions without knowing what you are talking about?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:00 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:So question...since Oklahoma got beat by Alabama just as bad as Washington did in 2016, and since Notre Dame got beat by Clemson even worse, are people going to say "Well, these teams had their chance in the playoffs and were absolutely embarrassed. They don't deserve to be invited back." ???

Or is that just something people wanted to say about Washington just because?

I think there is a real chance of that happening for Notre Dame. But it's Notre Dame, so unfortunately, no.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:14 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

Do you often make assumptions without knowing what you are talking about?

Read your post. Who is making the assumptions?
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:15 pm
  • Milehighhawk wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:It's not fair that Harvard gets all the smartest and most ambitious high school students while Eastern Washington has to settle for average students. Not sure how much longer this can go on before the entire collegiate education system collapses.

I know your schtick is running around being an assclown unchecked but clearly false equivalence.

Oh. I thought football players were students. Which is what another poster's point was, yet you didn't call them an assclown. That's okay though. I'm used to it.

Also, everything is a false equivalence There are no 2 things that are exactly alike.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:51 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    justafan wrote:I dont think letting 4 more teams that have a slim chance of beating Alabama or Clemson is going to solve anything.

Georgia had its chance to go to the playoff.I saw the SEC championship as the National Championship. I think most people who watch college ball would say georgia was probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the nation. I wouldnt have had a problem with them being put in the playoffs even after the loss.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:01 pm
  • justafan wrote:
    getnasty wrote:
    justafan wrote:I dont think letting 4 more teams that have a slim chance of beating Alabama or Clemson is going to solve anything.

Georgia had its chance to go to the playoff.I saw the SEC championship as the National Championship. I think most people who watch college ball would say georgia was probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the nation. I wouldnt have had a problem with them being put in the playoffs even after the loss.

Georgia lost twice..How do you deserve anything after that?
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:58 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    justafan wrote:
    getnasty wrote:

Georgia lost twice..How do you deserve anything after that?

Just my opinion.They gave Alabama all they wanted and actually could have won that game.The other loss was to LSU. Notre dame is soft they never would have made it to the SEC Chanpionship game and was way overated. Oklahoma had no D ,AT ALL. OSU got smoked by Purdue. they threw away a golden opportunity.

IMO Georgia was 3rd, I would have been ok with OSU over OK or ND even with the worse loss of any of the contenders.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:49 pm
  • Does that loss to Texas change your thinking any?
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:36 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:Does that loss to Texas change your thinking any?

Almost proves more than ever the need for an 8 team playoff..
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:39 pm
  • No not really.We already know OK and ND arent in the same class as Alabama and Clemson.Georgia proved they can stand toe to toe with Alabama and probably should have beat them. I would lean towards a 4 team playoff versus a 8 team because right now. I dont see the reason for letting in teams like Michigan, UCF or the Huskies play against Alabama or Clemson. As much as that hurts to say. Upsets could happen but the talent levels are so much higher in the SEC,OSU and Clemson than on the west coast or some other ares.If you cant make the top 4 you dont belong IMO. I dont mind discussing who we thought were the 3rd and 4th teams but its almost been a moot point the last few years.

I will say Texas came out looking great and UGA looked like a team who already packed it in. They knew losing to Alabama was the end of it. It did bother me that a #5 played a number #15 team. A 5 should have played a higher ranked team. Texas was local so that game was a gift. Hats off to them for beating a good team tho.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:16 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information