Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:00 pm
  • Before the season started I posted that this team had the "potential" to be better than the 2016 team that went to the CFP. Clearly they haven't been but when projected 1st rounder Trey Adams, freshman All-American Hunter Bryant, and our most experienced WR were all out before the season even started I knew this wasn't going to be the team I was expecting. With only one reliable WR at the start of the season and sometimes playing with 4th string offensive linemen the team struggled to eek out wins. Add to that some dumbfounding game-time decisions by the HC and opportunities to win close games were squandered.

    Adding to that, Jake Browning still was not back to his 2016 form and it seems that this might be owing to a much more invasive operation that involved bone scraping to his shoulder socket may have contributed to that. He is not the same QB he was in 2016.

    Having said that, it may just be speculation BUT with Trey Adams and Hunter Bryant finally healthy and the offensive line back to its preseason projection as the number one or two O-lines in the Pac we will get to see if those things truly contributed to their troubles.

    A win or a very competitive loss will reveal much about how good this team really is, or could have been.

    http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... l-underdog
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1065
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:42 pm
  • The Pac 12 totally sucked this year and the Huskies barely won it...

    Huskies are not a top 10 team, let alone a top 3 -- which is what they are playing in OSU.


    Overall it's just a crap draw -- Ohio State should have been a playoff team -- they're way better than Notre Dame and OU.

    With this being Meyer's last game, they are going to be hyped on top of it all... most of their damn team is coached up 5 star players... and their second stringers are all 3 stars.

    They're
    bigger
    stronger
    faster

    It's the same situation the Cougars run into with the Huskies, no matter the mojo they have going on, that talent deficiency is just too much to overcome. Even with OSU missing their best player, Huskies are probably going to get absolutely curb stomped.

    I'd be delighted if the Huskies can stay within 2 and a half touchdowns... say... 35 to 20.

    That's probably the best case scenario for them, but I worry it's going to be some 52 to 10 shit....
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2041
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:23 am
  • 35 points?

    52 points?

    Have you seen Washington's defense under Chris Petersen? The odds of Ohio State scoring more than 30 are pretty low. Ohio State better be able to run the football against UW's defense because they aren't going to be able to rely on throwing the football a bunch of times against a secondary full of future NFL starters.

    The drop-off in talent from Ohio State to UW is significantly less than the dropoff from UW to WSU. You can't go by star ratings alone. Pretend you're an NFL scout looking to draft the best players, and you'll see that Washington actually has quite a bit of talent on both sides of the ball.

    I'm not going to say Washington will win, but come it's like nobody is even giving them a chance. Purdue and Iowa proved Ohio State is beatable. And when you look at the type of team Washington can beat, Ohio State fits that description in terms of how they play and where their strengths are.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4652
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:33 pm
  • Osu almost lost to Maryland this year and got worke By Purdue. UW has a good shot.
    hburn21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1486
    Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:50 pm
    Location: Ft. Bragg, NC


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:04 pm
  • They have a shot, yes, but not a good one. I fully expect OSU to blow out UW.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3278
    Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:24 am


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:13 pm
  • Trrrroy wrote:They have a shot, yes, but not a good one. I fully expect OSU to blow out UW.


    I guess everybody expects that, Ohio St. has the #1 talent composite talent in the country, UDub has the #20 talent composite.

    It's always going to be difficult for Pac-12 teams to compete, with USC dominating the largest population base, they simply don't have enough population to draw from. The big schools back east have 3 times the population to draw from.

    Having said that, the game still has to be played on the field and people on this board who are given to braggart predictions often end up looking like damned fools.

    https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... Composite/
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1065
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:23 pm
  • if gaskin goes ballistic, huskies have a shot here. this would be a big win.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1484
    Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:34 pm


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:58 pm
  • Buckeyes defense has not been good this season. Huskies will score points. Ohio state bullied a poor Big 10.

    Can the play better defense than Michigan?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 14227
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:22 pm
  • Looking at Ohio’s schedule this last year they haven’t been anywhere close to dominate, outside of beating Michigan they struggled all year
    hburn21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1486
    Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:50 pm
    Location: Ft. Bragg, NC


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:28 pm
  • What did I say?

    I guess everyone had to see it firsthand before you catch on... the talent difference is so disparate, that even the Huskies so called "strengths" are nil.

    They cannot rush the ball... total wall.

    They cannot throw the ball.

    OSU

    Bigger
    Stronger
    Faster


    And yes, 5 star athletes at nearly every position makes a huge difference, and when your 3 or 4 star guy goes out and is replaced by a 1 or 2 star, it kills you...

    While OSU just puts in another 4 or 5 star.

    The way college football is set up right now, there are about 6 schools that will dominate every single year, and everyone else is excluded. It's worse than the NBA right now.... only certain teams can compete, everyone else is picking up scraps.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2041
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:47 pm
  • The best part of this game is that it will be Browning's last.

    I appreciate what he did off the field in helping build this team.

    But man, I will be glad to see a good QB wearing a Husky uniform again.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3446
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:48 pm
  • Browning doing Browning like things today.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3130
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:53 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:35 points?

    52 points?

    Have you seen Washington's defense under Chris Petersen? The odds of Ohio State scoring more than 30 are pretty low. Ohio State better be able to run the football against UW's defense because they aren't going to be able to rely on throwing the football a bunch of times against a secondary full of future NFL starters.

    The drop-off in talent from Ohio State to UW is significantly less than the dropoff from UW to WSU. You can't go by star ratings alone. Pretend you're an NFL scout looking to draft the best players, and you'll see that Washington actually has quite a bit of talent on both sides of the ball.

    I'm not going to say Washington will win, but come it's like nobody is even giving them a chance. Purdue and Iowa proved Ohio State is beatable. And when you look at the type of team Washington can beat, Ohio State fits that description in terms of how they play and where their strengths are.


    As you can now CLEARLY see, the talent drop-off from OSU to UW is just about exactly the same as UW to WSU...


    OSU can run it... if they want. Averaging 7 yards a run.

    They can pass it.... if they want. Averaging 8 yards a pass.

    UW? Can't really run... averaging 3 yards a run.

    Can't really pass? Averaging 4.4 yards a throw -- basically OSU will give them the short routes all day long... they don't care.

    Huskies haven't turned it over yet, thank god, which means that OSU is only on track for 42 points... but seriously, one little mistake and this thing is going to be 56 to 6 or some nasty thing.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2041
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:47 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Browning doing Browning like things today.

    As a UW fan I’m glad it’s his last game. It’s just too bad his ineffectiness is contributing heavily to a likely Rose Bowl loss.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24494
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:08 pm
  • The_Z_Man wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:35 points?

    52 points?

    Have you seen Washington's defense under Chris Petersen? The odds of Ohio State scoring more than 30 are pretty low. Ohio State better be able to run the football against UW's defense because they aren't going to be able to rely on throwing the football a bunch of times against a secondary full of future NFL starters.

    The drop-off in talent from Ohio State to UW is significantly less than the dropoff from UW to WSU. You can't go by star ratings alone. Pretend you're an NFL scout looking to draft the best players, and you'll see that Washington actually has quite a bit of talent on both sides of the ball.

    I'm not going to say Washington will win, but come it's like nobody is even giving them a chance. Purdue and Iowa proved Ohio State is beatable. And when you look at the type of team Washington can beat, Ohio State fits that description in terms of how they play and where their strengths are.


    As you can now CLEARLY see, the talent drop-off from OSU to UW is just about exactly the same as UW to WSU...


    OSU can run it... if they want. Averaging 7 yards a run.

    They can pass it.... if they want. Averaging 8 yards a pass.

    UW? Can't really run... averaging 3 yards a run.

    Can't really pass? Averaging 4.4 yards a throw -- basically OSU will give them the short routes all day long... they don't care.

    Huskies haven't turned it over yet, thank god, which means that OSU is only on track for 42 points... but seriously, one little mistake and this thing is going to be 56 to 6 or some nasty thing.


    Now that the game is over, it appears I was right about many things. UW's defense limited OSU's offense. They didn't score 30 or more. And the game would have looked a lot different if Rapp (one of the future NFL starters I referenced) wouldn't have decided to make a business decision and sit this game out when he still could have played .

    Dropoffs in talent? I dont even know why I tried to comment on that. I dont even know how to measure talent from team to team. But yes OSU had more talented....not in every area, but overall yes.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4652
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm




It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:31 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests