Jake Browning, Rose Bowl Underdog

D

DomeHawk

Before the season started I posted that this team had the "potential" to be better than the 2016 team that went to the CFP. Clearly they haven't been but when projected 1st rounder Trey Adams, freshman All-American Hunter Bryant, and our most experienced WR were all out before the season even started I knew this wasn't going to be the team I was expecting. With only one reliable WR at the start of the season and sometimes playing with 4th string offensive linemen the team struggled to eek out wins. Add to that some dumbfounding game-time decisions by the HC and opportunities to win close games were squandered.

Adding to that, Jake Browning still was not back to his 2016 form and it seems that this might be owing to a much more invasive operation that involved bone scraping to his shoulder socket may have contributed to that. He is not the same QB he was in 2016.

Having said that, it may just be speculation BUT with Trey Adams and Hunter Bryant finally healthy and the offensive line back to its preseason projection as the number one or two O-lines in the Pac we will get to see if those things truly contributed to their troubles.

A win or a very competitive loss will reveal much about how good this team really is, or could have been.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... l-underdog

fenderbender123

Reaction score
35 points?

52 points?

Have you seen Washington's defense under Chris Petersen? The odds of Ohio State scoring more than 30 are pretty low. Ohio State better be able to run the football against UW's defense because they aren't going to be able to rely on throwing the football a bunch of times against a secondary full of future NFL starters.

The drop-off in talent from Ohio State to UW is significantly less than the dropoff from UW to WSU. You can't go by star ratings alone. Pretend you're an NFL scout looking to draft the best players, and you'll see that Washington actually has quite a bit of talent on both sides of the ball.

I'm not going to say Washington will win, but come it's like nobody is even giving them a chance. Purdue and Iowa proved Ohio State is beatable. And when you look at the type of team Washington can beat, Ohio State fits that description in terms of how they play and where their strengths are.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
They have a shot, yes, but not a good one. I fully expect OSU to blow out UW.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Trrrroy":3c1setcv said:
They have a shot, yes, but not a good one. I fully expect OSU to blow out UW.

I guess everybody expects that, Ohio St. has the #1 talent composite talent in the country, UDub has the #20 talent composite.

It's always going to be difficult for Pac-12 teams to compete, with USC dominating the largest population base, they simply don't have enough population to draw from. The big schools back east have 3 times the population to draw from.

Having said that, the game still has to be played on the field and people on this board who are given to braggart predictions often end up looking like damned fools.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... Composite/

mrblitz

Reaction score
if gaskin goes ballistic, huskies have a shot here. this would be a big win.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Buckeyes defense has not been good this season. Huskies will score points. Ohio state bullied a poor Big 10.

Can the play better defense than Michigan?

hburn21

Reaction score
Looking at Ohio’s schedule this last year they haven’t been anywhere close to dominate, outside of beating Michigan they struggled all year

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The best part of this game is that it will be Browning's last.

I appreciate what he did off the field in helping build this team.

But man, I will be glad to see a good QB wearing a Husky uniform again.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
getnasty":3omb8zf7 said:
Browning doing Browning like things today.
As a UW fan I’m glad it’s his last game. It’s just too bad his ineffectiness is contributing heavily to a likely Rose Bowl loss.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":hcacj7cb said:
fenderbender123":hcacj7cb said:
35 points?

52 points?

Have you seen Washington's defense under Chris Petersen? The odds of Ohio State scoring more than 30 are pretty low. Ohio State better be able to run the football against UW's defense because they aren't going to be able to rely on throwing the football a bunch of times against a secondary full of future NFL starters.

The drop-off in talent from Ohio State to UW is significantly less than the dropoff from UW to WSU. You can't go by star ratings alone. Pretend you're an NFL scout looking to draft the best players, and you'll see that Washington actually has quite a bit of talent on both sides of the ball.

I'm not going to say Washington will win, but come it's like nobody is even giving them a chance. Purdue and Iowa proved Ohio State is beatable. And when you look at the type of team Washington can beat, Ohio State fits that description in terms of how they play and where their strengths are.

As you can now CLEARLY see, the talent drop-off from OSU to UW is just about exactly the same as UW to WSU...

OSU can run it... if they want. Averaging 7 yards a run.

They can pass it.... if they want. Averaging 8 yards a pass.

UW? Can't really run... averaging 3 yards a run.

Can't really pass? Averaging 4.4 yards a throw -- basically OSU will give them the short routes all day long... they don't care.

Huskies haven't turned it over yet, thank god, which means that OSU is only on track for 42 points... but seriously, one little mistake and this thing is going to be 56 to 6 or some nasty thing.

Now that the game is over, it appears I was right about many things. UW's defense limited OSU's offense. They didn't score 30 or more. And the game would have looked a lot different if Rapp (one of the future NFL starters I referenced) wouldn't have decided to make a business decision and sit this game out when he still could have played .

Dropoffs in talent? I dont even know why I tried to comment on that. I dont even know how to measure talent from team to team. But yes OSU had more talented....not in every area, but overall yes.