Rose Bowl Thread

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Rose Bowl Thread
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:20 pm
  • justafan wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:
    OrangeGravy wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:With all the NFL talent on these Husky teams, I sometimes wonder what it would be like if Browning was not this tremendous weak link.

Considering how terrible the offense is playing, the defense is doing decently well. That last defensive stand wasn't a winner but their backs were up against the wall.

Edit: And it isn't Petersen, he did just fine in bowl games that he didn't have Browning as his QB. Though I will concede he might have a predilection for these 'low-talent try-hard' type of guys. He had a better version of this at Boise State but I worry we are going to see a parade of these guys under Petersen. It might be the trade-off in having a team good at the other stuff.

Don't let DomeHawk hear you say that! He got after me for calling Browning the Poor man's Kellen Moore in his Browning thread.

DomeHawk is an irrational Browning homer. It's best to just ignore him.

I dont think many fans read this forum much.Too much crying and whining.

Or truth-telling
    OpHawk
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:22 pm
  • With the new redshirt rule where playing in fewer than four games no longer costs a year of eligibility, Washington should just empty the bench and get a look at some of the freshmen on the team. It's not like it will make a difference in the outcome of this game.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:22 pm
  • Oregon state scored 31 on the Buckeyes this season (ofcourse they gave up 77).
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:23 pm
  • Are you guys having a go at a poster thats not even here to defend himself?

I know this is a big moment for non-Husky fans... but discuss the game (topic) and leave the name calling and shit posting to the shack.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:32 pm
  • Its a weird moment.

As a Husky fan, you grow up to covet Rose Bowls.

Rose Bowls are magical, you almost prefer them over higher ranked bowls just because of the history and connection to Husky teams in the past.

But Browning does not win big games and certainly almost never bowl games. In truth, he more often loses them for his team. In this game, Gaskin started ripping off big chunks in the 2nd half and it was not until we tried to give Browning a possession that the offense was ultimately shutdown.

So reaching a Bowl game and more specifically reaching a ROSE BOWL didn't really matter. Because we were not winning and even the casual Husky fan knew this.

So I didn't go into this game with any expectation or even hope they could even be competitive in it. I did hope for better defense. But I get the problem with that if there is no support from your offense.

Regardless, end of this game is the end of Browning's play holding this team back. So even a big loss in this bowl game will be a win, because we can trade up for a good QB.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:33 pm
  • The Pac-12 has become such a joke. They fall behind further every year.

The west coast needs to stop raising a population of coddled nancy's so that one day the homegrown kids can compete with other parts of the country that raise men.

Course, that's not gonna happen.
    OpHawk
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:37 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Regardless of how this game shakes out, Husky fans win because Browning will finally be gone.

He did his job. When he came in, we were a dumpster fire. Under his watch, this team went to Bowl games. They were never close for years before him.

But these were some supremely talented teams recently and Browning has literally been the weakest link on the team.

He never won big games as the lead horse. He lost plenty for us. But before he got here we were awful.

Now we are good but he is awful.

Though, he recruited hard for this team so maybe we are good because of that. As a QB on the field though, he has been a guy I will be glad to see move on.

I am also tired of these UW QBs named, "Jake."

Next up, "Jacob" Eason.

Can UW recruit and play some QBs not named Jake?!! Jeez!!!

They have a Colson....... but the rest were/are Jake or Jacob’s.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:37 pm
  • So the dip in talent this year is the fault of parents, specifically west coast parents?

The state of that post...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:44 pm
  • I think a lot of it has to do with recruiting. And Nick Saban put a stop to satellite camps. So it’s hard for recruits to get up to states like Washington and Oregon. Saban has the honey hole down in the southeast and then stops the idea of decent recruits checking out other schools.
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:46 pm
  • Washington reached the red zone! Success!!
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:47 pm
  • Browning has sucked but this is on the oc. Play calling jad been silly. Barely running gaskin, only throw to Bryant in the 4th quarter. Crappy swing passes for little gain. Peterson needs to fire him
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:48 pm
  • Weird take.

Plenty of former UW players that played on Browning's teams are in the NFL now.

It isn't lack of talent.

Betting we see a number of these players in the NFL. Browning will not be one of them.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:49 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Browning has sucked but this is on the oc. Play calling jad been silly. Barely running gaskin, only throw to Bryant in the 4th quarter. Crappy swing passes for little gain. Peterson needs to fire him

The last two years of play calling have been suspect. But this one you are nailed on. Running was the beat way to get at osu this year.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Buckeyes / Huskies Rose Bowl
  • Geez Huskies, come on already. :34853_doh:
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Uncle Si wrote:So the dip in talent this year is the fault of parents, specifically west coast parents?

It's been a precipitous dip for over a decade now. Not sure how one might come to the conclusion this was a one-year drop.

But yeah, I do believe the war on masculinity and the implementation of concepts like "safe-spaces" in our universities has a negative effect on our youth competing at a national level.

Kids raised elsewhere are hardier, tougher, more resilient IMO.
    OpHawk
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:51 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:So the dip in talent this year is the fault of parents, specifically west coast parents?

Yeah, that post was a little nutty.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:52 pm
  • OpHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:So the dip in talent this year is the fault of parents, specifically west coast parents?

It's been a precipitous dip for over a decade now. Not sure how one might come to the conclusion this was a one-year drop.

But yeah, I do believe the war on masculinity and the implementation of concepts like "safe-spaces" in our universities has a negative effect on our youth competing at a national level.

Youre wrong... but its really not the time nor place to discuss it.

Maybe drive around a bit before making ridiculous generalizations
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:52 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Weird take.

Plenty of former UW players that played on Browning's teams are in the NFL now.

It isn't lack of talent.

Betting we see a number of these players in the NFL. Browning will not be one of them.

I was talking the Pac12 as a whole and the steady decline over the last 5 or so years.
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:54 pm
  • OpHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:So the dip in talent this year is the fault of parents, specifically west coast parents?

The discussion is over
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:54 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Browning has sucked but this is on the oc. Play calling jad been silly. Barely running gaskin, only throw to Bryant in the 4th quarter. Crappy swing passes for little gain. Peterson needs to fire him

The last two years of play calling have been suspect. But this one you are nailed on. Running was the beat way to get at osu this year.

Yep UW got away from their bread and butter on offense.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:57 pm
  • So Browning is a crappier Kellen Moore, but a crappier version that does not win bowl games, because people need safe spaces?

Because the defense has been sending people to the NFL.

Those safe spaces (???) don't seem to keep our defensive players from hitting opposing players so hard their teeth get knocked out.

Gaskin is solid. Our WRs are solid. The problem is not the lack of talent or 'less masculine players'

The problem is a QB that is not productive in big games.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:57 pm
  • Well.. browning with a chance to make things entertaining
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:58 pm
  • Lets move on from the recruting and child rearing conversation
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:00 pm
  • OpHawk wrote:

So much I can say but I cannot without it getting a bit or a lot political, so I won’t.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:02 pm
  • Browning hasn't been great this game, but his receivers definitely aren't helping him with multiple drops today.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:03 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Well.. browning with a chance to make things entertaining

So much for that
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Browning is playing like poo but the UW receivers are not helping him with dropped passes.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Soooo many drop passes. Its killing UW right now.
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:04 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Browning hasn't been great this game, but his receivers definitely aren't helping him with multiple drops today.

Beat me to it. 8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:06 pm
  • They might not drop them if they were not consistently above, behind or nowhere near them.

Browning has been Browning in this game. Again, glad this is his last game in a Husky uniform. Nothing makes me happier.

The receivers are not playing as well as they should but their QB is making it much much harder on them.

And again, why Browning is even touching the ball when Gaskin is doing so well is another question. We are calling a lot more plays for Browning to throw than makes sense right now.

But 9 minutes until Browning is gone. That is good news.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:08 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    OpHawk wrote:

Well it's my opinion that this is playing a role in the Pac-12 being the laughing stock of the Power 5 for some time now. Draw your own ridiculous conclusions I guess.
    OpHawk
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:09 pm
  • Its the 4th quarter and theyre down 18.

Throwing the vall makes sense now.

Gaskins and Ahmed shouldve been a1 and a2 in 1st half though
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:10 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Regardless of how this game shakes out, Husky fans win because Browning will finally be gone.

He did his job. When he came in, we were a dumpster fire. Under his watch, this team went to Bowl games. They were never close for years before him.

But these were some supremely talented teams recently and Browning has literally been the weakest link on the team.

He never won big games as the lead horse. He lost plenty for us. But before he got here we were awful.

Now we are good but he is awful.

Though, he recruited hard for this team so maybe we are good because of that. As a QB on the field though, he has been a guy I will be glad to see move on.

I am also tired of these UW QBs named, "Jake."

Next up, "Jacob" Eason.

Can UW recruit and play some QBs not named Jake?!! Jeez!!!

I hear they are recruiting Jake from State Farm. :twisted:
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:14 pm
  • They gotta score quickly. Hope the UW defense can hold for a quick 3 and out to preserve time.
    Last edited by raisethe3 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:14 pm
  • OpHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    OpHawk wrote:

Well it's my opinion that this is playing a role in the Pac-12 being the laughing stock of the Power 5 for some time now. Draw your own ridiculous conclusions I guess.

Whats ridiculous is how generalized and ignorant it is...

I mean unless you go from school to school, community to community across this country and watch kids be raised.

Not to mention it just grossly ignores the recent success of teams like USC and oregon fairly recently... as if those kids 4- 6 years ago were raised differently?

Its a poor take.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:16 pm
  • One minute drive at end of 1st half is suddenly looming large
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:17 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:One minute drive at end of 1st half is suddenly looming large

I still don't understand why Petersen didn't just call three straight runs and kill the clock.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:20 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:One minute drive at end of 1st half is suddenly looming large

I still don't understand why Petersen didn't just call three straight runs and kill the clock.

Was an awful half of play calling
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:21 pm
  • The defense has had a great half.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:23 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:The defense has had a great half.

They have. The whole team was a bit slow getting rolling.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:24 pm
  • They decide not to go for it?!
    Last edited by raisethe3 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:24 pm
  • Did Petersen just wave the white flag?
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:25 pm
  • What

The

Hell
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• 4 minutes to No More Browning!
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• WAIT WAIT... what? he punted it..?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:26 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:4 minutes to No More Browning!

If only there was a browning thread
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:26 pm
  • Ill be interested how peterson answers that punt decision in post game

One score game i get it... but it wasnt
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:27 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Ill be interested how peterson answers that punt decision in post game

Not just that, but he used a time out to make that decision.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:29 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    OpHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    OpHawk wrote:

Whats ridiculous is how generalized and ignorant it is...

I mean unless you go from school to school, community to community across this country and watch kids be raised.

Not to mention it just grossly ignores the recent success of teams like USC and oregon fairly recently... as if those kids 4- 6 years ago were raised differently?

Its a poor take.

School to school and community to community nationwide to suggest that west coast social norms are softer? I don't think so. I've spent a great deal of time around young men from all corners of this country.

USC and Oregon besides being extreme outliers, their success becoming more distant by the day, have also successfully recruited NATIONALLY during their years at the top of a still then weak Pac-12/10
    OpHawk
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:30 pm
  • Is Peterson or someone on the huskies coaching staff in bed so to speak with some of the Ohio State staff??

That is honestly how inexplicable that decision was
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information