Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

UW Taylor Rapp Declares

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:39 am
  • Seahawks get this kid!
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 856
    Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:12 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:37 pm
  • Lots of people saying he made a business decision to sit out the Rose Bowl, including former NFL players who were on the sidelines. Apparently he was able to play in the Pac 12 champ game through his minor injury just fine. Should we be worried if this sort of thing becomes common even in NY6 bowl games and possibly even in playoffs games in the future?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4645
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:19 pm
  • It should become common.

    If you are NFL material, you have no business taking the risk and potentially injuring yourself.

    The draft slot issue I could care less about but there are kids that have been injured in bowl games that were never right again. It isn't common, but if you are the 2% or whatever the percentage is - it assuredly sucks. The NCAA does a great job making tons of money on the backs of college kids but the Bowl games make money for literally everyone else but the kids themselves.

    They are not being paid enough - they have no obligation to put themselves at risk. Especially at safety, where you collide with another player (*sometimes running toward you at full speed) by running full speed into tackling him.

    Rapp did what was best for him. It wasn't as if we would have won with him anyway.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3446
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:31 pm
  • Only a matter of time then before they start sitting out the conference championship games, too...I mean, if the post season is pointless to play in, then logically speaking so is the conference championship game that gets them there. Oh, and the couple games before that too. Shit, just play enough to be seen by NFL scouts and hey you're done. So cool!!!

    Players will soon start to sit out of the playoffs as well. Then college football will slowly start to die as it turns into nothing more than a league full of exhibition games played solely for the purpose of giving players practice to try and make it into the NFL.

    Everything is about money these days to so many people. Who cares about honoring your commitment to the school, the coaches, and your teammates when it might result in only making 5 million dollars for being drafted instead of 7 million? Even though 5 million dollars is more than enough to set you up for the rest of your life after your playing days are over....
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4645
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:34 pm
  • The risk injuring yourself and losing out on Millions is just too much to swallow.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2873
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:45 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Only a matter of time then before they start sitting out the conference championship games, too...I mean, if the post season is pointless to play in, then logically speaking so is the conference championship game that gets them there. Oh, and the couple games before that too. Shit, just play enough to be seen by NFL scouts and hey you're done. So cool!!!

    Players will soon start to sit out of the playoffs as well. Then college football will slowly start to die as it turns into nothing more than a league full of exhibition games played solely for the purpose of giving players practice to try and make it into the NFL.

    Everything is about money these days to so many people. Who cares about honoring your commitment to the school, the coaches, and your teammates when it might result in only making 5 million dollars for being drafted instead of 7 million? Even though 5 million dollars is more than enough to set you up for the rest of your life after your playing days are over....


    Earl Thomas has made, what? 55 million?
    When asked, he says he needs to take care of his family?
    What exactly does that mean? Extended family? Cousins?
    His kids? His grand kids? His great grand kids?

    Then when I see him driving a Lambo............. I laugh. You want to live like Bill Gates money, AND take care of your "family". Pick one I guess.
    Unless you are a complete moron and don't know how to invest $55 MILLION, I don't know what to tell you.
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1328
    Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:45 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:The risk injuring yourself and losing out on Millions is just too much to swallow.


    I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean....can you elaborate?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4645
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:24 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:The risk injuring yourself and losing out on Millions is just too much to swallow.


    I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean....can you elaborate?



    Is it really too difficult to figure out?

    Player A who is projected to be a 1st rounder suits up for his final game (Rose Bowl) and blows out a knee. Think he is still getting picked in the 1st round?

    Jaylon Smith tore his ACL-MCL at the Fiesta Bowl in '16 and seems to just now be finally healthy this season. He was rumored to be a top 5 pick, then Dallas reached on him with the 34th overall pick in the 2nd. That's quite a disparity with guaranteed money.

    Sit the games out.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2873
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:29 pm
  • ZorntoLargent wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:Only a matter of time then before they start sitting out the conference championship games, too...I mean, if the post season is pointless to play in, then logically speaking so is the conference championship game that gets them there. Oh, and the couple games before that too. Shit, just play enough to be seen by NFL scouts and hey you're done. So cool!!!

    Players will soon start to sit out of the playoffs as well. Then college football will slowly start to die as it turns into nothing more than a league full of exhibition games played solely for the purpose of giving players practice to try and make it into the NFL.

    Everything is about money these days to so many people. Who cares about honoring your commitment to the school, the coaches, and your teammates when it might result in only making 5 million dollars for being drafted instead of 7 million? Even though 5 million dollars is more than enough to set you up for the rest of your life after your playing days are over....


    Earl Thomas has made, what? 55 million?
    When asked, he says he needs to take care of his family?
    What exactly does that mean? Extended family? Cousins?
    His kids? His grand kids? His great grand kids?

    Then when I see him driving a Lambo............. I laugh. You want to live like Bill Gates money, AND take care of your "family". Pick one I guess.
    Unless you are a complete moron and don't know how to invest $55 MILLION, I don't know what to tell you.


    Yeah that's ridiculous, too. Behavior like this will kill entertainment sports in the long run. Every player should understand that and put it on themselves to do the right thing in the name of the game. I mean, shit, the game is the whole reason they have these opportunities. They should feel like they owe it to the game to do what's best for keeping it entertaining. The behavior is similar to how Hollywood executives want to keep milking these superhero franchises for all they're worth just to make more money now, even though eventually it's going to destroy a lot of franchises and the genre itself. But who cares, right? As long as you get your money now. Society at large in America has a lot of room for improvement in terms of culture and values.

    Back to Rapp though....let's take Kevin King for comparison. Dude played with just one arm during the post-season of his senior year. He didn't take himself out of the game, not even when it became unwinnable. Wish more players were like him. What a badass. What a hero. What a good football player. What a good teammate.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4645
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:35 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:The risk injuring yourself and losing out on Millions is just too much to swallow.


    I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean....can you elaborate?



    Is it really too difficult to figure out?

    Player A who is projected to be a 1st rounder suits up for his final game (Rose Bowl) and blows out a knee. Think he is still getting picked in the 1st round?

    Jaylon Smith tore his ACL-MCL at the Fiesta Bowl in '16 and seems to just now be finally healthy this season. He was rumored to be a top 5 pick, then Dallas reached on him with the 34th overall pick in the 2nd. That's quite a disparity with guaranteed money.

    Sit the games out.


    Well when you use terrible grammar and are very vague, yes your post can be difficult to figure out.

    I totally understand why players do this. Do you not understand why this might piss off fans like myself? It screws us over, plain and simple. The people who are the REASON why these kids have a scholarship, receive fame, and can make millions in the NFL is the fans. So players can go ahead and bite the hand that feeds them I suppose if that's the kind of people they are. The long-term results won't be pretty, though. Sad.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4645
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:54 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    ZorntoLargent wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:Only a matter of time then before they start sitting out the conference championship games, too...I mean, if the post season is pointless to play in, then logically speaking so is the conference championship game that gets them there. Oh, and the couple games before that too. Shit, just play enough to be seen by NFL scouts and hey you're done. So cool!!!

    Players will soon start to sit out of the playoffs as well. Then college football will slowly start to die as it turns into nothing more than a league full of exhibition games played solely for the purpose of giving players practice to try and make it into the NFL.

    Everything is about money these days to so many people. Who cares about honoring your commitment to the school, the coaches, and your teammates when it might result in only making 5 million dollars for being drafted instead of 7 million? Even though 5 million dollars is more than enough to set you up for the rest of your life after your playing days are over....


    Earl Thomas has made, what? 55 million?
    When asked, he says he needs to take care of his family?
    What exactly does that mean? Extended family? Cousins?
    His kids? His grand kids? His great grand kids?

    Then when I see him driving a Lambo............. I laugh. You want to live like Bill Gates money, AND take care of your "family". Pick one I guess.
    Unless you are a complete moron and don't know how to invest $55 MILLION, I don't know what to tell you.


    Every player should understand that and put it on themselves to do the right thing in the name of the game. They should feel like they owe it to the game to do what's best for keeping it entertaining. .



    My grammar is fine, I didn't know I was required to write run on sentences like yourself to prove my point.

    The schools make MILLIONS and MILLIONS off of these kids and they get an education in return. I'm not saying a free education is something to scoff at, but when comparing the two next to each other it sure looks like quite the deal for the universities.

    These kids don't owe anyone anything. Get in, play well, get out, and get those dollars.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2873
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:26 pm
  • I guess what I'm saying is that I don't feel like they should feel they need to "owe" it, but rather that they should at least hopefully *want* to do it for the sake of maintaining a good experience for the fans and helping their team mates and coaches win the game.

    And if I really wanted to, I could have made that sentence twice as long.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4645
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:47 pm
  • Just for the heck of it, you should look at all the organizations that are NOT the NCAA or the Universities that are making money on the bowl games.

    When you get them, (or find a good collection of them), go ahead and add up their revenue - it will be tens of millions of dollars, if not substantially more.

    Now, ask yourself, why, everyone associated with these Bowl games is making money hand over fist but the kids getting the 'opportunity' to play in the bowl games are not?

    Now ask yourself just how much that player, sitting out for his own safety, owes those organizations you mentioned it. Balance it out by the fact that most of the players sitting out are star players with NFL futures that have already made tons of money for their schools just in merch licensing and crossover sales alone. Those kids not only sell jerseys with their name on it, but they often add a % to fan merch sold because of the wins or great plays they generated throughout the year.

    By year end, if anyone owes anyone anything - the schools have more than been repaid vs their contributions.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3446
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:27 pm
  • Okay that's all good and fine. Doesn't really go against what I'm saying though.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4645
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:49 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:most of the players sitting out are star players with NFL futures that have already made tons of money for their schools just in merch licensing and crossover sales alone. Those kids not only sell jerseys with their name on it, but they often add a % to fan merch sold because of the wins or great plays they generated throughout the year..



    Exactly
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2873
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:59 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:The risk injuring yourself and losing out on Millions is just too much to swallow.


    I think the interesting question is where the cutoff is. And I have no idea. but if I'm likely to be a 7th rounder? Do I play? What about a 3rd or 4th rounder? At what point do I still need to play to try to elevate my stock?

    I don't have a problem with the players doing it, but I think the decision-making process is an interesting one. And why just bowl games? We saw it, sort of, this year with Bosa quitting the team during the season. He was already injured so a little different, but still . . . if I'm on, say a 7-5 team (or whatever), does it really benefit me to play the last week of the season?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105642
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:08 pm
  • I think that if a player sits he should have to pay back his scholarship and investment by the school. Yes the Schools make millions but they also invest millions into their programs.

    So player a leaves after his junior year, he has a full ride and also depends on how the conference counts scholarships now handicaps the school for the next year. He sits but doesn't get drafted but hires a agent, owes a big time school 4 years of scholarships and housing etc costs. The school was going to have a ad campaign around this guy for the next recruiting class as well. The kid gets a bill for 3 million dollars from the school.


    Kid got everything handed to him but bites the hand that feeds him when he could pay off the best for the school, are we suppose to feel sorry for him?


    Do this a few times and maybe they start second guessing things and these so called experts that rate where kids will go may lose their market.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25838
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:35 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:The risk injuring yourself and losing out on Millions is just too much to swallow.


    I think the interesting question is where the cutoff is. And I have no idea. but if I'm likely to be a 7th rounder? Do I play? What about a 3rd or 4th rounder? At what point do I still need to play to try to elevate my stock?

    I don't have a problem with the players doing it, but I think the decision-making process is an interesting one. And why just bowl games? We saw it, sort of, this year with Bosa quitting the team during the season. He was already injured so a little different, but still . . . if I'm on, say a 7-5 team (or whatever), does it really benefit me to play the last week of the season?



    If I was a player and I knew it was highly possible I would not be drafted, then absolutely I would play in any bowl game. You need to get s many eyeballs on you and get your name on as many scouts note pads you can. At that point, you can only go up from there.

    Now if I was a sure fire top 5 pick, then why risk it? I would not sit out of the national championship game, but I would have no issue with sitting out of a game with no Championship ramifications.

    All of these kids come from different backgrounds, some come from wealth, some a piss broke. Everyone has different priorities and needs.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2873
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:06 pm
  • Paying back the scholarship is an interesting idea. Kind of similar to how some Academy folks can get out of their commitment but they have to pay the government a crap-ton of money. I have a hard time, though, feeling too badly for the schools considering how much money is made off of these kids to begin with. Maybe have ESPN payback the scholarship money.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105642
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:34 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Lots of people saying he made a business decision to sit out the Rose Bowl, including former NFL players who were on the sidelines. Apparently he was able to play in the Pac 12 champ game through his minor injury just fine. Should we be worried if this sort of thing becomes common even in NY6 bowl games and possibly even in playoffs games in the future?


    I was at the game, my older son knows some of these UW players that he went to camps and all-star games with. When Rapp told reporters at the game he hadn't made a decision he wasn't being honest, he had already made his decision and we had heard from both players and a key Husky player's parents whom are family friends of ours. I didn't want to say anything when we first flew back because I didn't want to add to rumors. Now it seems that it is common knowledge. It was said that he had an injury but was well enough to play but didn't want to exacerbate the injury before the combine or pro day. We were sitting near these parents during the game and we talked about how disappointed we were with him when Byron Murphy who had more to lose chose to play. I don't want to say that it cost us the game but at least two of those TD's were in his spot.

    I get it if you are a top-10 choice or are playing a position that is particularly exposed to injury like QB or RB but a safety delivers more blows than they receive.

    Disappointed in him.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1056
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:28 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:Lots of people saying he made a business decision to sit out the Rose Bowl, including former NFL players who were on the sidelines. Apparently he was able to play in the Pac 12 champ game through his minor injury just fine. Should we be worried if this sort of thing becomes common even in NY6 bowl games and possibly even in playoffs games in the future?


    I was at the game, my older son knows some of these UW players that he went to camps and all-star games with. When Rapp told reporters at the game he hadn't made a decision he wasn't being honest, he had already made his decision and we had heard from both players and a key Husky player's parents whom are family friends of ours. I didn't want to say anything when we first flew back because I didn't want to add to rumors. Now it seems that it is common knowledge. It was said that he had an injury but was well enough to play but didn't want to exacerbate the injury before the combine or pro day. We were sitting near these parents during the game and we talked about how disappointed we were with him when Byron Murphy who had more to lose chose to play. I don't want to say that it cost us the game but at least two of those TD's were in his spot.

    I get it if you are a top-10 choice or are playing a position that is particularly exposed to injury like QB or RB but a safety delivers more blows than they receive.

    Disappointed in him.

    :2thumbs:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4146
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:13 pm
  • He quit on his team in the biggest game of the season. No way I would want him on the Hawks roster.
    HawksnDawgs35
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 53
    Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:26 am


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:05 pm
  • People talk about all these boo hoo's that you risk by playing one game
    so you can't feed the family..Bullshit-how many players besides Jaylon
    Smith do you hear of that happening?Even he was smart enough to take
    a 3 million poilicy against his draft position in case he got hurt and yes he
    collected on it.Anyone can do this for higher amounts..All those players in
    years past ..NFL Hof's played in ALL their games.Better ones than you see
    today.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4146
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:45 pm
  • I dont mind if a player decides to opt out of a bowl game. College football is a business and thats a business decision. Team and staff have a chance to adjust.

    However, opting out mid gane is unfair to everyone involved.

    Still... this shouldn't be a negative mark on the player. He didnt handle it well but the ncaa is forcing these awkward situations on these kids.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 14198
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:58 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    However, opting out mid gane is unfair to everyone involved.



    Wait, who did that? That's messed up.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105642
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:35 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    However, opting out mid gane is unfair to everyone involved.



    Wait, who did that? That's messed up.


    Thats the insinuation being made in this thread sbout Rapp
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 14198
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:56 pm

Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:28 pm
  • HawksnDawgs35 wrote:He quit on his team in the biggest game of the season. No way I would want him on the Hawks roster.


    Christian McCaffrey did the same thing, would you want him on our roster?
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2177
    Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:32 am
  • I thought I read that Rapp played the first 2 snaps.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4645
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:14 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:Rapp did not play at all. He warmed up and decided he couldn’t go. Not sure where the quitting halfway thru the game is coming from.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seattl ... p/%3famp=1


    Noone said half way through.

    I used the term "mid game"
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 14198
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:20 am
  • Each school has 85 players on scholarship. Ohio St. and UW had a total of two players who decided to sit out.

    2 players out of 170 scholarship players is less then 1 percent.

    Is this really that big of a deal?
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 795
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:55 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:07 pm
  • truehawksfan wrote:Each school has 85 players on scholarship. Ohio St. and UW had a total of two players who decided to sit out.

    2 players out of 170 scholarship players is less then 1 percent.

    Is this really that big of a deal?



    I think its the reasons and what it says about college football, the bowl games and the massive hypocrisy between the governing bodies and the players
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 14198
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:21 pm
  • We argue about the player risking the one opportunity to have any financial security in life but that's not entirely true. If you are a top player you have to ability to obtain an insurance policy that will set you up quite well if you are injured. This idea that you will walk away with nothing is simply not true.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1056
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:26 pm
  • truehawksfan wrote:Each school has 85 players on scholarship. Ohio St. and UW had a total of two players who decided to sit out.

    2 players out of 170 scholarship players is less then 1 percent.

    Is this really that big of a deal?


    Not to really take a side one way or the other, but 2 out of 170 is more than 1 percent. 2 out of 200 would be 1 percent.

    Carry on.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105642
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:28 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    However, opting out mid gane is unfair to everyone involved.



    Wait, who did that? That's messed up.


    Thats the insinuation being made in this thread sbout Rapp


    Interesting. Guess I didn't read enough about this particular case. I don't have a problem with athletes sitting out. But I do think they should give notice. Let the team plan for the absence. Deciding day of is kind of crappy.

    I'm even okay, and would encourage players to go through practice and prep but have an agreement with the coach that they won't actually play. But communication is key here. Surprised are not okay.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105642
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:52 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    However, opting out mid gane is unfair to everyone involved.



    Wait, who did that? That's messed up.


    Thats the insinuation being made in this thread sbout Rapp


    Interesting. Guess I didn't read enough about this particular case. I don't have a problem with athletes sitting out. But I do think they should give notice. Let the team plan for the absence. Deciding day of is kind of crappy.

    I'm even okay, and would encourage players to go through practice and prep but have an agreement with the coach that they won't actually play. But communication is key here. Surprised are not okay.


    You make a good point. The whole dishonesty of the thing.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1056
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:22 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Only a matter of time then before they start sitting out the conference championship games, too...I mean, if the post season is pointless to play in, then logically speaking so is the conference championship game that gets them there. Oh, and the couple games before that too. Shit, just play enough to be seen by NFL scouts and hey you're done. So cool!!!

    Players will soon start to sit out of the playoffs as well. Then college football will slowly start to die as it turns into nothing more than a league full of exhibition games played solely for the purpose of giving players practice to try and make it into the NFL.

    Everything is about money these days to so many people. Who cares about honoring your commitment to the school, the coaches, and your teammates when it might result in only making 5 million dollars for being drafted instead of 7 million? Even though 5 million dollars is more than enough to set you up for the rest of your life after your playing days are over....


    Risk 2 million dollars for a school making 50 million already?

    Pretty naive ride on the high horse there fender
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 14198
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:14 pm
  • So, is 2 players or .0117 percent (2/200 = 2 percent.... 2/170 = .0117 percent) on scholarship that big of a deal? Oh well, I guess I should have rounded up which would be .012 percent....carry on.

    And, what should be the penalty if a head coach leaves the school with years remaining on his contract? He can leave without penalty leaving behind players he recruited.

    And, I saw fans wearing Taylor Rapp jerseys....who gets paid for that?
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 795
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:55 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:21 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:Only a matter of time then before they start sitting out the conference championship games, too...I mean, if the post season is pointless to play in, then logically speaking so is the conference championship game that gets them there. Oh, and the couple games before that too. Shit, just play enough to be seen by NFL scouts and hey you're done. So cool!!!

    Players will soon start to sit out of the playoffs as well. Then college football will slowly start to die as it turns into nothing more than a league full of exhibition games played solely for the purpose of giving players practice to try and make it into the NFL.

    Everything is about money these days to so many people. Who cares about honoring your commitment to the school, the coaches, and your teammates when it might result in only making 5 million dollars for being drafted instead of 7 million? Even though 5 million dollars is more than enough to set you up for the rest of your life after your playing days are over....


    Risk 2 million dollars for a school making 50 million already?

    Pretty naive ride on the high horse there fender


    You're just now responding to that post?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4645
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:58 pm
  • The ultimate response of fans should be... stop showing up for bowl games, stop watching them.

    The players don't play.. the fans don't watch, then the University and the leagues take a financial hit. the NFL suffers as well... and only then will they come up with a better solution for the players.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2027
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 pm
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:
    HawksnDawgs35 wrote:He quit on his team in the biggest game of the season. No way I would want him on the Hawks roster.


    Christian McCaffrey did the same thing, would you want him on our roster?


    Nope! You make a commitment to your teammates and coach's only to quit on them when they need you most.

    Dave Hoffman and Shane Pahukoa were at the Rose Bowl practices and said Rapp didn't look hurt/injured.

    Rapp isn't even a projected 1st rounder. Byron Murphy most likely is and he played the whole game.


    As a Husky fan Rapp is dead to me.
    HawksnDawgs35
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 53
    Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:26 am


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:58 am
  • I don't see the issue. He played football for Washington for the duration of the time that he was on scholarship. The semester was over, it was January, and he wasn't going to be compensated with any 'extra' school in exchange for playing in that game. I commend college students for realizing when it is time to move on to the professional world.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2305
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:45 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:27 pm
  • Not playing alongside your teammates and coaches while also disappointing millions of fans is not my idea of being a professional.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4645
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:40 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Not playing alongside your teammates and coaches while also disappointing millions of fans is not my idea of being a professional.


    Millions?

    Anyways... hes not professional. Hes moving on to it. Being professional would include a pay check
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 14198
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:49 pm
  • if not billions
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4645
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:02 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Not playing alongside your teammates and coaches while also disappointing millions of fans is not my idea of being a professional.


    College athletes aren't considered professionals, but if you view them as such, you would agree that they should be paid.

    Would you show up to a physically demanding job a month after they stop compensating you?
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2305
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:45 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:07 pm
  • An ex-roommate of mine played football for Auburn as an OL. He got hurt and he was absolutely screwed by his school.

    Another friend of mine had a kid that played for UW. He was sort of a tweener but ended up starting as a safety, then eventually bulking up to LB (but he put too much weight on for his frame and ended up getting hurt). He couldn't even go to his own doctor! The team decided his health and he ended up playing hurt for a while. He is still messed up from that.

    If Rapp got on the field, played 2 plays thinking he was fine and then bowed out? I have no issues. It wasn't like Browner was going to win a Bowl game anyway.

    But even if he just decided it wasn't worth it? Well, it wasn't worth it.

    The idea that he should have to pay back a scholarship after playing X # of years, contributing to wins, contributing to merch and ticket sales, and putting the team in the position to play in the game in the first place - that is laughable.

    He more than paid back the UW for the money they spent on him, including the cost of the scholarships (likely in classes he didn't get the choice of picking).

    The bowls make money for everyone but the kids playing them. That alone should be the reason for the star players to sit out.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3446
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: UW Taylor Rapp Declares
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:39 pm
  • I don't like to see it...so I could conjur up reasons why all day.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4645
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm




It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests