Mock draft: Two rounds, multiple trades January 8th, 2019 |

ivotuk

Reaction score
Mock draft: Two rounds, multiple trades -- January 8th, 2019 | Written by Rob Staton

#21 Green Bay trades with Seattle to select David Edwards (T, Wisconsin)
The Seahawks traded with the Packers a year ago and history repeats here. Green Bay needs some new blood on the O-line.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/

Rob also talks some about the players from Clemson and Alabama and links to a Tony Pauline article on the eligible players. Those 2 teams have a LOT of talent!

CPHawk

Reaction score
SF with Bosa and Buckner on the DL together would be brutal.

D

DomeHawk

Byron Murphy won't last until #20 and there is no way N'keal Murphy is going as the last player in the 2nd round.

Dumb mock draft.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1lzdkiuv said:
Byron Murphy won't last until #20 and there is no way N'keal Murphy is going as the last player in the 2nd round.

Dumb mock draft.
You seem mighty sure of yourself.

What makes you think Murphy will go first round???

He will go second round like past recent UW DBs.

D

DomeHawk

TheLegendOfBoom":5p2fafpl said:
DomeHawk":5p2fafpl said:

Dumb mock draft.

Really? In 2015 two (2) UW DB's were drafted in the 1st round.

And the reason I think it is because every single mock draft has him going in the 1st round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NFL_Draft

Seanhawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":ux3km6yy said:
TheLegendOfBoom":ux3km6yy said:
DomeHawk":ux3km6yy said:

Dumb mock draft.

And the reason I think it is because every single mock draft has him going in the 1st round.

So what makes those mocks less dumb than all the ones you're looking at? They are all just dumb entertainment, only now, before the combine and free agency, they're all just less educated entertainment.

drrew

Reaction score
Murphy is absolutely going round one unless he measures smaller than expected.

Greedy Williams is the generally accepted CB1, but Murphy is right in the discussion for CB2.

In regards to Harry, I think there's some concern he's going to run slow. If you watch is '18 highlights, he never seemed to get much separation. He's big enough that he made a ton of contested catches, but he needs to create more space.

D

DomeHawk

drrew":2ssfne56 said:
Murphy is absolutely going round one unless he measures smaller than expected.

Greedy Williams is the generally accepted CB1, but Murphy is right in the discussion for CB2.

In regards to Harry, I think there's some concern he's going to run slow. If you watch is '18 highlights, he never seemed to get much separation. He's big enough that he made a ton of contested catches, but he needs to create more space.

Harry runs a 4.5 and has been timed at 4.4. he's plenty fast enough. In addition to that, the scouts aren't nearly as worried about 40-times for the bigger receivers. Obviously, you want someone in open space but contested catches are just as important in today's NFL.

He is generally regarded as the best WR in the Pac-12 conference and one of the best in the country, I just can't see him going as the last player picked in the 2nd round.

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dspro ... &genpos=wr

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 991949002/

Seanhawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":38k0qa71 said:
Seanhawk":38k0qa71 said:
DomeHawk":38k0qa71 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":38k0qa71 said:

So what makes those mocks less dumb than all the ones you're looking at? They are all just dumb entertainment, only now, before the combine and free agency, they're all just less educated entertainment.

That is such a general "state the obvious" post that I can't even respond to it except to say that the season is over and that is ALL we have to post about.

Get it?

Oh, I get it. I enjoy mock drafts as much as anyone and I am always looking for updated ones. The point I was attempting to make is that for a guy talking in such absolutes about the draft, I was thinking you must have some kind of inside info. I just found it funny your sources were other mock drafts.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1bjugn3y said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1bjugn3y said:
DomeHawk":1bjugn3y said:

Dumb mock draft.

Budda Baker, Kevin King, Sidney Jones, 2017 (most recent), all second round.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3vblabuf said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3vblabuf said:
DomeHawk":3vblabuf said:

Dumb mock draft.

What are you talking about??? In 2015, the only first round DB was Marcus Peters. Not two. Only one.

drrew

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":28s4ob6q said:
What are you talking about??? In 2015, the only first round DB was Marcus Peters. Not two. Only one.

Shaq Thompson was a S/LB tweener - I'm sure that's his second guy.

chris98251

Reaction score
UW is going to be represented will in this years draft probably 5 players at least and a lot of UDFA's.

Trey Adams, senior left tackle
Taylor Rapp, junior safety
Byron Murphy, redshirt sophomore cornerback
Kaleb McGary, senior right tackle
Greg Gaines, senior defensive tackle
Myles Gaskin, senior running back
JoJo McIntosh, senior safety
Jordan Miller, senior cornerback
Drew Sample, senior tight end
Jake Browning, senior quarterback

Also: Tevis Bartlett, senior linebacker; Jaylen Johnson, senior defensive lineman; Ben Burr-Kirven, senior linebacker; Chico McClatcher, junior receiver; Shane Bowman, senior defensive lineman; Austin Joyner, junior defensive back; Myles Bryant, junior defensive back.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
chris98251":v19i3ai4 said:
UW is going to be represented will in this years draft probably 5 players at least and a lot of UDFA's.

Also: Tevis Bartlett, senior linebacker; Jaylen Johnson, senior defensive lineman; Ben Burr-Kirven, senior linebacker; Chico McClatcher, junior receiver; Shane Bowman, senior defensive lineman; Austin Joyner, junior defensive back; Myles Bryant, junior defensive back.
You sure Trey Adams is coming out?? I believe he mention he will stay at UW with that new rule injured year thing.
Rapp, Murphy, Gaskin, Miller, should be drafted, maybe even Gaines, but the rest I'm not sure.

chris98251

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":eb4d9qip said:
chris98251":eb4d9qip said:

You sure Trey Adams is coming out?? I believe he mention he will stay at UW with that new rule injured year thing.
Rapp, Murphy, Gaskin, Miller, should be drafted, maybe even Gaines, but the rest I'm not sure.

Not sure to be honest was looking at the draft site that projected the players and that stuff is always lagging until just before the heat is turned up and draft order is a lock etc.

drrew

Reaction score
Trey Adams is not coming out.

Myles Bryant announced he's returning for one more year.

Austin Joyner has retired from football.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1589dyk3 said:
DomeHawk":1589dyk3 said:

Dumb mock draft.

Speaking of being sure of oneself ...

I too expect Murphy to go in the first round. Reasons why as follows:

1. Generally very weak CB class. Williams is generally considered CB1, but it's not a strong endorsement. He, like DeAndre Baker, benefited from strong preseason hype. Williams undershot it based on an insane 2017. Baker kind of dropped off the map. Williams has size (6'3"), but very poor tackle stats -- and tape shows why. Also despite one year wonder interception stats -- his PDs last year and this year are kind of poor. To me he's a paper tiger. Good size but bad tackler. Good length but doesn't disrupt much.

2. CB is a heavily coveted position group in the NFL. I'd say it falls fourth in line behind QB, Pass rusher, LT. Except every team needs about twice as many corners as pass rushers and only one of QB or LT. So they get drafted early and often.

3. Playmaking defensive backs generally go very very highly. Corners that can get picks and PDs are like defensive tackles that can rush the passer. They are a difference making breed. And Murphy is strong in that department.

(Note, keep an eye on Joejuan WIlliams CB/Vanderbilt. Good junior year with strong pass defense. Strong tackler. 6'3" at 208. Could be a guy Seattle targets)

4. Washington pedigree. Huskies are becoming a much more known commodity. The players that have been drafted out of this program have all pretty much outperformed their draft position. There is a grown expectation that Husky DBs are going to be starter quality right out of the gates. It usually takes a body of work before earning a reputation that can alter/inflate successive prospects' draft status. Washington has achieved that status as it pertains to our secondary pools.

I expect Murphy to go in the top 20. I still earnestly feel like he could be a poor man's Earl Thomas at FS if he tests fast enough which is not a given. He is a unique cat -- strong at playing the ball, yet extremely physical as a tackler. He's the kind of hitter that can and has lay a Thomas on Gronk type hit. He demonstrates a strong instinct like Earl does. He often diagnoses plays rapidly and is already running full stride to where the ball is going to be delivered before it's out of the QB's hands.

Those kinds of traits are coveted in this league and in general short supply in this class.

D

DomeHawk

drrew":3nof7qwa said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3nof7qwa said:

Shaq Thompson was a S/LB tweener - I'm sure that's his second guy.

And that is the same position(s) he plays for the Panthers. He is their "big nickel" guy, a position played by a strong safety type.

D

DomeHawk

TheLegendOfBoom":tfa8agw0 said:
DomeHawk":tfa8agw0 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":tfa8agw0 said:
DomeHawk":tfa8agw0 said:

Dumb mock draft.

Budda Baker, Kevin King, Sidney Jones, 2017 (most recent), all second round.

Sidney Jones was universally regarded as a 1st rounder until he got hurt. Your example of "recent" comprises one single year, that's what is called extrapolating or, "cherry picking," a stat to make a poor argument.

D

DomeHawk

Attyla the Hawk":2t2bvug2 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2t2bvug2 said:
DomeHawk":2t2bvug2 said:

Dumb mock draft.

Speaking of being sure of oneself ...

I too expect Murphy to go in the first round. Reasons why as follows:

1. Generally very weak CB class. Williams is generally considered CB1, but it's not a strong endorsement. He, like DeAndre Baker, benefited from strong preseason hype. Williams undershot it based on an insane 2017. Baker kind of dropped off the map. Williams has size (6'3"), but very poor tackle stats -- and tape shows why. Also despite one year wonder interception stats -- his PDs last year and this year are kind of poor. To me he's a paper tiger. Good size but bad tackler. Good length but doesn't disrupt much.

2. CB is a heavily coveted position group in the NFL. I'd say it falls fourth in line behind QB, Pass rusher, LT. Except every team needs about twice as many corners as pass rushers and only one of QB or LT. So they get drafted early and often.

3. Playmaking defensive backs generally go very very highly. Corners that can get picks and PDs are like defensive tackles that can rush the passer. They are a difference making breed. And Murphy is strong in that department.

(Note, keep an eye on Joejuan WIlliams CB/Vanderbilt. Good junior year with strong pass defense. Strong tackler. 6'3" at 208. Could be a guy Seattle targets)

4. Washington pedigree. Huskies are becoming a much more known commodity. The players that have been drafted out of this program have all pretty much outperformed their draft position. There is a grown expectation that Husky DBs are going to be starter quality right out of the gates. It usually takes a body of work before earning a reputation that can alter/inflate successive prospects' draft status. Washington has achieved that status as it pertains to our secondary pools.

I expect Murphy to go in the top 20. I still earnestly feel like he could be a poor man's Earl Thomas at FS if he tests fast enough which is not a given. He is a unique cat -- strong at playing the ball, yet extremely physical as a tackler. He's the kind of hitter that can and has lay a Thomas on Gronk type hit. He demonstrates a strong instinct like Earl does. He often diagnoses plays rapidly and is already running full stride to where the ball is going to be delivered before it's out of the QB's hands.

Those kinds of traits are coveted in this league and in general short supply in this class.

^^^^Excellent analysis, I'm impressed.