Kyler Murray wants $15 million to commit to baseball

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
:34853_doh:

Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2019, 6:05 PM EST

“I’m all about loyalty,” Dwight Schrute once said. “In fact, I feel like part of what I’m being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly. . . . I’m going wherever they value loyalty the most.”

Kyler Murray is Dwight Schrute.

According to Mike Leslie of WFAA, Murray wants a $15 million contract from the A’s. Otherwise, Murray will enter the NFL draft.

That’s a risky position for Murray. If the A’s say yes, he gets the money. If the A’s say no, does that really close the door on the A’s changing their mind later? That’s the dilemma any NFL team that drafts Murray would face.

If $15 million is Murray’s financial goal, that would peg his NFL floor in the range of pick No. 11 or 12, based on the 2018 contracts given to first-round picks. If a team takes Murray below that spot, will the A’s step up and match or beat the slotted contract value that Murray would get from his NFL team?

But what if Murray goes higher than 11 or 12? Would the A’s match the value of Murray’s rookie deal?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... TpcmqohwkQ

mrt144

Reaction score
That MLB is bending over backwards to snag him for their own reasons is all you need to know about the situation. He has the leverage, himself, and should do whats best for himself.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think he’s getting too much ego stroking advice and may find himself having to dial back his lofty expectations.

He isn’t RW and he sure isn’t Michael Vick or Lamar Jackson. Time will tell for him.

Need to see him play in the Senior Bowl or some other game that allows a fair assessment.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Good for the kid if he can get what he can get. I don't think he's a pro QB but if he gets drafted high enough and gets good enough guarantees on his rookie deal, then it doesn't matter if he flames out or not.

** for the record, I didn't expect Mayfield to be very good either so, so far at least, my opinion doesn't count for much. Or maybe by the law of averages I'm bound to be right eventually.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
HawkGA":12tgil9g said:
Good for the kid if he can get what he can get. I don't think he's a pro QB but if he gets drafted high enough and gets good enough guarantees on his rookie deal, then it doesn't matter if he flames out or not.

** for the record, I didn't expect Mayfield to be very good either so, so far at least, my opinion doesn't count for much. Or maybe by the law of averages I'm bound to be right eventually.

Ahh Blind squirrel??? :stirthepot:

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Hope the Seahawks draft him. Let him sit behind Russ for a year. Have Russ play out his contract this year and then turn it over to Murray. You would then have him on a great contract for 3 or 4 more years giving you cap freedom to build a great team.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
There's no way Seahawks are drafting Murray. I get that maybe he's so good that Seattle would draft him at #21 despite have a top 5 QB on the roster, but if that's the case he's going to be very attractive to a team without a QB. He'll go way before their pick.

If he falls to #21, it's probably a sign there's some doubt to his game translating to the next level. Even if he's an under the radar superstar that only Seattle gambles correctly on, he's sitting behind an elite QB with no sign of getting significant snaps. You spend a 1st on the guy, you are lucky to get that back in a trade four years later, which is equivalent to a 4th rounder in this draft. Plus you throw in the circus it brings having a 1st rd pick on the bench for 4 years and possible contempt from Murray for putting him that position. Yeah no thanks.

Seahawks are always in a win now mode. They need to draft talent that can make an immediate impact. Not riding the bench as an unknown.

More on topic, I'm glad Murray decided to play football and I'm not surprised. There's no other position in sports as enjoyable as playing QB (high school days coming out). If he can make 15 million guaranteed drafted in the first round, he should take it, pay back the A's and thank them for the loan.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2zgxurbc said:
Hope the Seahawks draft him. Let him sit behind Russ for a year. Have Russ play out his contract this year and then turn it over to Murray. You would then have him on a great contract for 3 or 4 more years giving you cap freedom to build a great team.
You’d have zero shot at making the playoffs for at least 4 years.
Murray is nowhere close to an automatic. Russ is a proven commodity.

Pass on Murray, let him be another team’s project.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":17u18nej said:
ImTheScientist":17u18nej said:
You’d have zero shot at making the playoffs for at least 4 years.
Murray is nowhere close to an automatic. Russ is a proven commodity.

Pass on Murray, let him be another team’s project.

With absolute knowledge like that someone should hire you! :sarcasm_on:

With ~30mil extra you don't think we could have a deeper team with more talent?

naholmes

Reaction score
Last year’s 21st pick Billy Price got $9M guaranteed so well below the $15M target even with a significant cap increase. I think Murray needs to be a top 12 pick to play football. Maybe Jacksonville or Miami take the chance on him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Kyler Murray doesn't impress me. I believe he's NFL career will mirror Johnny Manziel's. Basically out of football in few years. I don't believe he is physically built for the NFL.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":5xu0ibpo said:
HawkGA":5xu0ibpo said:

Ahh Blind squirrel??? :stirthepot:

:irishdrinkers: