2019 East-West Shrine Game: Ten NFL draft prospects to watch

ivotuk

Reaction score
Justin Hollins, LB, Oregon:

Long and lean at 6-foot-5, Hollins looks the part of a Sam linebacker. While not elite in his pass-rush ability, he will get after the quarterback with a secondary rush.

He also sets the edge effectively in the run game and is able to shed to wrap up ball carriers coming into his area.
Proving to scouts he possesses the agility to handle coverage responsibilities will earn him the respect he deserves.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... s-to-watch

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
ivotuk":2u2tqzdi said:

Long and lean at 6-foot-5, Hollins looks the part of a Sam linebacker. While not elite in his pass-rush ability, he will get after the quarterback with a secondary rush.

He also sets the edge effectively in the run game and is able to shed to wrap up ball carriers coming into his area.
Proving to scouts he possesses the agility to handle coverage responsibilities will earn him the respect he deserves.

For the defensive schemes and packages Carroll likes to employ, the Seahawks linebackers need to excel in pass coverage. This allows Seattle to only rush four.

The Seahawks scouts need to find another sideline to sideline guy with coverage instincts, because he will get matched up with tight ends and running backs that can catch that ball.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Watching Barton and Greenidge (LT Utah/Villanova). Although hard to determine what Solari's preferred prototype for OL prospects are. May take a draft or two to dial that one in.

Shrine game very often spotlights a lot of mid/late day three talents. Many of whom pop on the NFL rosters. Some so much they shine at the Shrine and Senior bowls.

Check the DBs too. While this isn't a good year for DBs in general (read as top of the draft), it's particularly deep/good in the day three category. Much deeper than last years class. There are probably as many as 6 reliable day three replacements for Coleman in this class.

Not that I'm wanting to chase Coleman out of town. I consider him a quality and priority sign. But getting his 2020 successor should be a top priority given the intersection of opportunity and quality on hand.

Blace Brown is one I'm watching. Also Jamal Peters (Tony Pauline reports Seattle has shown repeated interest in him).

At safety, watching Chris Johnson (North Alabama).

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":k2i88006 said:
Watching Barton and Greenidge (LT Utah/Villanova). Although hard to determine what Solari's preferred prototype for OL prospects are. May take a draft or two to dial that one in.

Shrine game very often spotlights a lot of mid/late day three talents. Many of whom pop on the NFL rosters. Some so much they shine at the Shrine and Senior bowls.

Check the DBs too. While this isn't a good year for DBs in general (read as top of the draft), it's particularly deep/good in the day three category. Much deeper than last years class. There are probably as many as 6 reliable day three replacements for Coleman in this class.

Not that I'm wanting to chase Coleman out of town. I consider him a quality and priority sign. But getting his 2020 successor should be a top priority given the intersection of opportunity and quality on hand.

Blace Brown is one I'm watching. Also Jamal Peters (Tony Pauline reports Seattle has shown repeated interest in him).

Need some help at pass rush.

Any notable players (day 3 prospects) gaining any interest???

I'd like Seattle to replace Tedric Thompson and find another starter at corner. Griffin just isn't there yet.

Hopefully, OL will be the least of the Seahawks concerns next year....

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1a6mvj2r said:

Don't know much of Jamal Peters background, what's the scoop on him?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Here are my 10 that I'll be watching. All are likely mid-to-late round picks.

LB-Ulysees Gilbert lll, Akron, 6-01/230, (maybe he has the 40 speed needed at LB for the Seahawks?)
LB-Khalil Hodge, Buffalo, 6-1/235 (speed check & can he get off blocks & win assignments?)
LB-Joe Dineen, Jr, Kansas, 6-2/235 (speed check & can he get off blocks & win assignments?)
LB-Justin Hollins, Oregon, 6-5/242 (Does he have potential to be a Wagner replacement one day at MLB?)
CB-Derrick Baity, Jr, Kentucky, 6-3/188 (Has the length, needs to add weight, how does he cover? Speed?)

CB-Jamal Peters, Mississippi St, 6-2/220 (Has the length, can he play? Why do the Seahawks like him?)
CB-Donnie Lewis, Tulane, 6-0/195 (Near the top of 2018 passes defended list, steady & experienced.)
DL-Jordan Brailford, Oklahoma, 6-3/250 (Potential later round DL option?)
DE-Daniel Wise, Kansas, 6-3/290 (Potential later round DL option?)
OG-Dugas O'Shea, Louisiana Tech, 6-5/330 (has desired size, does he get leverage & push?)
:smilingalien:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1wxfx5rj said:
Here are my 10 that I'll be watching. All are likely mid-to-late round picks.

LB-Ulysees Gilbert lll, Akron, 6-01/230, (maybe he has the 40 speed needed at LB for the Seahawks?)
LB-Khalil Hodge, Buffalo, 6-1/235 (speed check & can he get off blocks & win assignments?)
LB-Joe Dineen, Jr, Kansas, 6-2/235 (speed check & can he get off blocks & win assignments?)
LB-Justin Hollins, Oregon, 6-5/242 (Does he have potential to be a Wagner replacement one day at MLB?)
CB-Derrick Baity, Jr, Kentucky, 6-3/188 (Has the length, needs to add weight, how does he cover? Speed?)

CB-Jamal Peters, Mississippi St, 6-2/220 (Has the length, can he play? Why do the Seahawks like him?)
CB-Donnie Lewis, Tulane, 6-0/195 (Near the top of 2018 passes defended list, steady & experienced.)
DL-Jordan Brailford, Oklahoma, 6-3/250 (Potential later round DL option?)
DE-Daniel Wise, Kansas, 6-3/290 (Potential later round DL option?)
OG-Dugas O'Shea, Louisiana Tech, 6-5/330 (has desired size, does he get leverage & push?)
:smilingalien:

From Shrine game measurements -- Length available only

Poor Seahawk related measurements:

Derrick Baity (3102 arms, 7604 wing)
Donnie Lewis (3002 arms, 7402 wing)
Jimmy Moreland (2904, 7302)
Rashad Fenton (3001, 7205)
Chris Johnson (3100, 7405)
Isaiah Wharton (3104, 7600)
Blace Brown (3106, 7505)
Jackson Barton (3306, 8006)

Players with solid length measurements:

Daniel Wise (3304 arms, 8000 wing)
Tim Harris (3202, 7603)
Michael Jackson (3203, 7607)
Malik Carney (3304, 7904)
Drew Lewis (3200, 7701)
Justin Hollins (3300, 7905)
Olisaemeka Udoh (3506, 8504)
Ethan Greenidge (3501, 8404)
Martez Ivey (3506, 8500)
Tyree St. Louis (3402, 8404)
Paul Adams (3501, 8404)
Brian Wallace (3600, 8405)
Ryan Pope (3502, 8405)

Players reported connected to Seattle thus far:

Khalil Hodge
Jamal Peters

It's important to note these measurements can fluctuate. But players in the shrine game are generally day 3/UDFA prospects to begin with. Seattle pretty much wants unique players in this range. Poona is a great example as a guy who was really very short in stature, but his strength and arm length is almost freakish. Two traits that allow him to turn his short profile to a significant advantage in leverage.

One thing that really stands out. There are a ton of really long project OTs in this class. Literally you only usually see maybe two or three 35" arm prospects in the day 2/3 pool in any given class. There are like 6 just in this game alone. It's worth taking a further look at some of these OTs that have elite NFL length. Looks like the project pool in 2019 for offensive tackles is extremely flush.

Might be nice to have Brown/Fant/Jones and 2019 project on roster. That would lessen the potential blow of losing Ifedi after this final contract season. Also prepares team for potential loss of Fant a year after that (2020) or shedding Brown contract in 2021 (age 36 and 11m cap savings).

Also it's worth mentioning that we really don't know exactly what Solari's prototype OL prospect looks like. I kind of went with generalized groupthink type benchmarks that most teams seem to abide. One thing that does seem kind of consistent with Solari is that he kind of likes big strong maulers. Seems like athletic 310 lb. OTs aren't his thing. More like 330+ with good length and strength. But again, it's impossible to know how much input he had both at SF and at NYG.

CPHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1ponktoh said:

He had 6 tackles and 2 sacks in the first half.

D

DomeHawk

TheLegendOfBoom":mda6f1bb said:
ivotuk":mda6f1bb said:

For the defensive schemes and packages Carroll likes to employ, the Seahawks linebackers need to excel in pass coverage. This allows Seattle to only rush four.

The Seahawks scouts need to find another sideline to sideline guy with coverage instincts, because he will get matched up with tight ends and running backs that can catch that ball.

The Seahawk's defense is in nickel most of the time, rarely would you see a third LB in pass coverage, it's a safety.