NCAA's Transfer Portal

D

DomeHawk

Good article on who might be transferring from what school and where they might be going.

In my opinion there is an inherent danger in this in that you have players at a position waiting for their turn and then someone transfers in taking your spot. How much does this play into player morale and trust? More importantly, how does this affect recruiting when you are telling a recruit they are the next guy when you have shown a predisposition to abandoning the next-up?

https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-tran ... 127866941/

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Youre not abandoning the next.

Youre either good enough or the program looks for a replacement.

Its D1 football. Its supposed to be competitive.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":2m3esucu said:

That's your opinion as a fan living vicariously through player's exploits. My question is directed towards how it affects the overall morale of the players and I think it does in a negative way.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":33vzhag1 said:
Uncle Si":33vzhag1 said:

That's your opinion as a fan living vicariously through player's exploits. My question is directed towards how it affects the overall morale of the players and I think it does in a negative way.

I dont live vicariously through the lives of athletes, especially college ones.

The passive aggressive condescension is noted, however.

Your opinion that it does may not align with the messages these coaches deliver to their teams. Having played a sport at D1, there is an entirely different perspective to the experience each year you are there.

You come in "attack the guy in front of you, take his spot"

By year 3 "better step it up, new class is strong"

Its a good discussion, understanding and lesson for the players.. particularly at football where a player can recreate themselves at another position if competition is brought in.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":8z0btmec said:
DomeHawk":8z0btmec said:
Uncle Si":8z0btmec said:

I dont live vicariously through the lives of athletes, especially college ones.

The passive aggressive condescension is noted, however.

Your opinion that it does may not align with the messages these coaches deliver to their teams. Having played a sport at D1, there is an entirely different perspective to the experience each year you are there.

You come in "attack the guy in front of you, take his spot"

By year 3 "better step it up, new class is strong"

Its a good discussion, understanding and lesson for the players.. particularly at football where a player can recreate themselves at another position if competition is brought in.

I played D1 also and in my day you entered a portal and were expected to compete but you competed with those within your group, they didn't bring in players from the outside.

Granted, things have changed, but I am merely referring to a school that makes a practice of something that can be self-defeating.

Don't be so thin-skinned the vicarious nature of fans is meant in general, not you specifically.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Portal thing im not familiar with...

We had 1st team and reserve. If you were 1st team the expectation was your replacement was either on the bench, un the reserves or being recruited.

I do agree with you about a programs proclivity for bringi g in transfers. I think its fair to expect a program to take advantage of an opportunity... but if they make a habit of the process it can negatively impact current team members.

What about juco kids?

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":10ry9rz5 said:

Poor choice of words, I'm hungover today.

Juco thing isn't used much by established programs that want a player in their system from the beginning. Mainly reserved for schools that can't recruit well, see: Cougs - Oregon St., etc.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2ljx45co said:
Uncle Si":2ljx45co said:

Juco thing isn't used much by established programs that want a player in their system from the beginning. Mainly reserved for schools that can't recruit well, see: Cougs - Oregon St., etc.

Wasnt sure if it meant you stayed in your class group. I know of soccer programs that do that. Seniors against seniors. Juniors v juniors, etc

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":1quv7qy2 said:
DomeHawk":1quv7qy2 said:
Uncle Si":1quv7qy2 said:

Wasnt sure if it meant you stayed in your class group. I know of soccer programs that do that. Seniors against seniors. Juniors v juniors, etc

Position.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Makes sense...

I know football players often change positions in college.

I did as well (central defense to right back) when a 6'3" juco transfer came in.