Building a better pass rush

Chawker

Reaction score
If we are going to get back to a superbowl winning caliber team, we have to be able to press home our attack with four defensive lineman. This is our biggest area for improvement,Which I'm sure you'll all will agree with me.

We will have Clark and Reed the rest need work, And with only four draft picks.

Would it be feasible to draft a DT with our first selection?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Maybe Malik McDowell comes back this season!

I would assume some DL help will be drafted. I would not expect any of that help to have a big impact in the coming season. Best hope for improved DL play will be from improved play from Rasheem Green, Poona Ford, and and Jacob Martin.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Yes it's feasible.

The class is loaded. There will be a lot of Kawaan Short kind of day two prospects in this class. Moving back will not exclude us from the opportunity to add there.

Although even with Short, it took a year plus before he became an impact player.

With only 4 picks now, it's hard to tell which way they'll go with their top pick. Martin was a late round pick that seemed to blossom at the end. The Rasheem Green pick was generally expected to be a redshirt year kind of prospect.

From a depth perspective, it seems very likely Seattle keeps both. So we'd be looking at moving on from Stephens, Jefferson, Jones, Jackson or Jordan.

Seems Jackson and Jefferson may be safer, being and exclusive RFA and RFA respectively. Their cost for depth is low. Jones is still under his rookie deal. He's really cheap. But also a healthy scratch many times in the year. What Seattle thinks of him in 2019 is anyone's guess. Release him and we could be duplicating the Alex Collins mistake. He's possibly safe as the tail end of the rotation guy.

Generally, Seattle takes two from the deep talent pool of a draft. With only 4 picks, not sure that will come to pass. Have to figure a DB and an OL player will get picked. Probably an offensive skill position player. TE makes sense given the depth of the talent pool there -- particularly with 'Y' type prospects that we tend to like.

I'd think that the position taken in our first pick is going to be either DL/OL or possibly QB. QB is a bit of an outlier. But it's very hard not to consider based on the amount of interest Seattle has shown in QBs during the 2017 and 2018 drafts. Seattle has again scouted QBs this season pretty hard. It's a bad overall class -- so they may opt for QB out of the gate and bank on DL depth reaching R3.

I could also see them interested in Kaleb McGary. I expect he'll test quite well at the combine. But there are others as well. This draft class has a lot of length in it's day two and three prospects. Lots of developmental guys. They won't be too hard pressed to add to the position group with a day two pick.

knownone

Reaction score
I think we’ll try to find another Edge rusher in free agency maybe Bruce Irvin or Clay Matthews; someone cheap who can provide decent pressure if none of the young guys take the next step.

A DT is definitely a possibility. If someone like Ed Oliver were to fall into the 20s you’d have to at least consider taking them.