Irv Smith Jr, TE, Alabama

naholmes

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I love Dissly and I hope he returns to form after injury and I know the Seahawks can utilize multiple TEs in their run heavy scheme. I was watching what Alabama did with Irv Smith during the championship game and he is all over the field lining up on the line, slot, out wide, fullback and h back. He looks like a really strong blocker against the run and pass yet runs routes and has YAC like a WR. He fills multiple roles for the Seahawks and is an ideal trade back target if they whiff on DL (or just like Smith better).

[youtube]IhlClGJzrFo[/youtube]

xgeoff

Reaction score
Would love for us to pick this guy up. I like Dissly as well, but they are two different types of TE's. Dissly is a block first, catch second guy. However, props to him for how great he looked in the passing game. I mean really impressive. And Smith is more of a receiving TE.

We need to be creative with our personnel.

Smith could be the second TE in a 2 TE set or he could be the TE in passing situations. Either way I think he could be a useful weapon if used properly.

Frankly if I were the Coach of an NFL team, I would just accumulate the best players and let the scheme flow from there. If I have 4 stud WR's, I go 4-wide most of the time. If I have three stud S's, I go Nickel package most of the time.

For our team, 2 talented TE's could be fantastic.