Bowl Game Changes Beginning In 2020

HawkGA

Reaction score
Are those listed in order of quality/prestige? I didn't realize the Las Vegas Bowl was "better" than the Holiday Bowl. For some reason I always thought the Holiday Bowl was much better than 4th.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkGA":3pzq2ph5 said:
Are those listed in order of quality/prestige? I didn't realize the Las Vegas Bowl was "better" than the Holiday Bowl. For some reason I always thought the Holiday Bowl was much better than 4th.

Holiday was usually the 2nd pac12 team until this past season when the Alamo Bowl moved above it in the pecking order.

According to the article:

The Las Vegas Bowl
In 2020, the Las Vegas Bowl moves from UNLV’s Sam Boyd Stadium to the new Las Vegas NFL stadium. In the course of the six-year deal, the SEC and Big Ten will each make three appearances against the Pac-12 in the Las Vegas Bowl. It’s expected to be either the third or fourth Pac-12 team after the Rose and Alamo Bowls are filled. It’s unknown what selection the SEC and Big Ten would send from their respective conference.

This will mark the first Pac-12 and SEC non-playoff bowl matchup since the 1989 Freedom Bowl. The Pac-12 currently plays bowl games against each of the Power 5 conferences except for the SEC. The two conferences have played in only nine non-College Football Playoff/New Year’s 6 bowls.

I'll tell you one thing, if they're going to be taking one of the better pac12 teams they better change the date of the game. The past two years the Las Vegas Bowl has been played on the last weekend before the early national signing day, which is a huge disadvantage to the teams playing in it since that weekend would usually be a huge recruiting, visitors weekend.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I hope they get a good SEC team. But they won't. There are a lot of bowls the SEC is locked into that carry more prestige (though I'd love to Vegas, personally!).

Consider, too, that the top 2 or 3 SEC schools will be in the New Year's 6 bowl games. Then you've got the Citrus Bowl.

So right off the bat you're down to potentially the fourth ranked team, and that assumes the Las Vegas Bowl gets that team. But they really enter the mix of a bunch of other bowls. This link lists them (and kind of orders them).

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/01 ... -2018-2019

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
RE: The Las Vegas Bowl. When it's the SEC's year you're probably looking at the #3 Pac 12 team playing the #7 SEC team.