The Seahawks Are NOT Trading Down in the 1st This Year

Fade

Reaction score
So John Schneider in his recent radio interview, really emphasized that he wanted Duane Brown listed as his 2nd round pick on his draft board, to make himself feel better.

Parsing this, has me thinking Pete might have a guy in mind he really likes in the 1st and they aren't trading down. It would be such a Seahawks thing to do. Everyone and their mother expecting them to trade down and then they don't.

My question is, who would be that guy to the Seahawks that could realistically fall to them at 21, that they couldn't pass up?

James in PA

Reaction score
Per Bob Condotta:

“NFL announced today Shaun Alexander will announce the Seahawks' second-round pick and Kam Chancellor the third-round pick. One problem --- Seattle doesn't have a second-round pick. But maybe they know something we don't about Seattle's plans.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
Fade":qed4mzfa said:
So John Schneider in his recent radio interview, really emphasized that he wanted Duane Brown listed as his 2nd round pick on his draft board, to make himself feel better.

Parsing this, has me thinking Pete might have a guy in mind he really likes in the 1st and they aren't trading down. It would be such a Seahawks thing to do. Everyone and their mother expecting them to trade down and then they don't.

My question is, who would be that guy to the Seahawks that could realistically fall to them at 21, that they couldn't pass up?

This is a deep draft, there are only a couple guys that they may be stuck on and they are Safeties.

Nasir Adderley
Deionte Thompson
Taylor Rapp

Even then unless they feel Earl Thomas about a guy they will trade back if they have a chance and the value is there, they need bodies to stock depth if nothing else. The DT position is deep so I doubt it's one of them and unless a guy like Bosa at DE falls which I doubt will happen they will look to trade back.

If you believe anything this time a year said then you would also believe the IRS will give you back all your taxes paid.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
They are trading down in the first but not out. They will take a WR or McGary. My guess is they trade with the Patriots and get their 1st and late 2nd round pick. You're welcome.

massari

Reaction score
They'll bypass Jeffery Simmons to pick an Ifedi or Penny in hopes of adding a guy who'll have a high impact right away, meanwhile Simmons will be Fletcher Cox by the time that happens.

Wendell-Pierce-Shaking-My-Head.gif

D

DomeHawk

This draft is deep in DL's but most of the really good ones will be gone by the time they pick.

That's the bad news, the good news is that means there will be some really good players left.

The whole trading-down thing is predicated upon not having anyone there that they feel is a sure-thing.

There may be a prime CB or WR there but who knows? This will be rapidly developing fluid situation right up until their pick.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seen a couple Mocks where we trade back with the Patriots so they can grab a TE, seems feasible given our position and Gronk leaving as well as only a couple TE's that may fit their wants.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Teams usually handout about 15-20 1st round grades to prospects in any given draft.

That is why it makes sense to trade down late in the 1st, because there are no more 1st round graded players left on the board, (even though you're still technically drafting in the 1st round.)

This is where it gets interesting for Seattle. They could have a legit 1st rd prospect left on their board, and trading down will cost them that player, and they will have to take a 2nd round prospect, even though they are still drafting in the 1st.

That is why I think there is a good chance it could happen this time. Drafting at 21 puts them right there.

DB, WR (with the Doug news), DL, OL.

If there is a 1st round graded player left they kind of have to take him.

They could trade some of next year's picks to help fill out this year's draft. As they have 11 picks in 2020.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Fade":1veonlps said:
They could trade some of next year's picks to help fill out this year's draft. As they have 11 picks in 2020.

Wow, really? How'd they accumulate them? I don't recall hearing anything about trades netting them picks next year. Or are you counting expected comp picks?

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":n6ckiidw said:
Fade":n6ckiidw said:

Wow, really? How'd they accumulate them? I don't recall hearing anything about trades netting them picks next year. Or are you counting expected comp picks?
IIRC they are expecting 4 comp picks next year, so if they have their original complement of 7, that would make 11.

But I don't know for sure if they still control all 7 base picks.

Seafan

Reaction score
Many different scenarios can take place including the possible trade of Frank Clark.

If the Hawks don't trade at all and are sitting at #21 the pick could be a DL or a WR.

It would be awesome if the Hawks could get Clark on a reasonable deal but if it seems unlikely they really need to use this grand opportunity to pick an edge rusher in this deep and talented DL draft. Can they do it if they trade down? Maybe.

Would a WR at #21 be a better choice over a DL? Not likely in this draft.

Selecting Penny in the 1st last year may have seemed out of character for the Hawks but it really wasn't. They were hedging against their back field injury history. If RW had a problem staying healthy it would make sense to acquire a capable backup.

The Hawks are going after a DL with their first pick. That doesn't mean the Hawks won't draft a WR in this draft. The Hawks will find that guy as well.

The Hawks have positioned themselves well to take the best player available. They don't need to reach for anyone. Some feel the Hawks are desperate in the secondary. I don't believe Pete feels that way. Some would say the team has a glaring need for an edge rusher. The Hawks probably don't feel that way but would love the chance to significantly upgrade the talent and depth through this once in a generation draft. Do they love someone so much that they would select him at #21 and not pick again until late third? Maybe.

ivotuk

Reaction score

Seanhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1w02rojc said:
I'm going with DK Metcalf, 4.3 speed, Noah Fant, or Nasir Adderly. I know Nasir isn't ranked that high, but I think he's better than he's ranked.

I think they realize they screwed up picking Bruce Irvin and letting Fletcher Cox go, so I don't think they'll be making those kinds of mistakes again.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/nasir-add ... 2eac396ce9

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/noah-fant ... 7e36dbc0d7

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootba ... dk-metcalf

I don't think Fant is going to be an option. As an Iowa Hawkeye fan and a fan of Fant's, I just think he is too similar to Jimmy Graham in terms of playing style. My opinion is that the Hawks have went down that road and seen that is not the style they want at the tight end position.

getnasty

Reaction score
I wouldnt be suprised if a Burns, Sweat, Gary fall the Hawks pick them up at 21. If all the high end guys are gone then i think we will trade back and draft someone we didnt expect at that spot.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seattle will trade down.

Pretty much has to in order to add more than 4 picks.

They'll find a suitable trade partner.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
We don't have a glaring need so they could do anything this year. Safety is the closest thing to a need i'd argue CB as well Griffin has regressed.

D

DomeHawk

Northwest Seahawk":27qkbn2e said:
We don't have a glaring need so they could do anything this year. Safety is the closest thing to a need i'd argue CB as well Griffin has regressed.

We don't have a glaring need at WR?

We still don't have a true #1 WR and with Doug Baldwin still looking at multiple operations we are at least rapidly approaching "glaring need."

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... 88554.html

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2p2m67of said:
Northwest Seahawk":2p2m67of said:

We still don't have a true #1 WR and with Doug Baldwin still looking at multiple operations we are at least rapidly approaching "glaring need."

Yes WR is a need I do think they have to seriously address it.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1g5t2zia said:
DomeHawk":1g5t2zia said:
Northwest Seahawk":1g5t2zia said:

Yes WR is a need I do think they have to seriously address it.

Question is, would they draft WR at 21? I think they would if the right guy is there. But if it's Brian Burns or Metcalf?