How many trade backs do we make?

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I would rather see them put some talent on the field that coaches have to plan for then getting an extra couple picks that amount to nothing.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
Adding more picks to mitigate the bust possibility is what every team should try to do. All teams have had top 5 players bust for various reasons. I would rather add more picks and hit on one than put all of my eggs in one basket.

As examples:
Number 1 overall in the 1992 draft Steve Emtman.
Number 2 overall 1998 draft Ryan Leaf
Number 1 overall 2007 draft JaMarcus Russell
Number 4 overall 2009 draft Aaron Curry
Number 6 overall 2008 draft Vernon Gholston

So let's trade back enough to land at 8 or so picks and get it done. I assume 3 trade backs is what it will take.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I say they shock us and only trade down once. BUT, they use a couple of their 2020 picks to gain another 3rd rounder this year.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Wizofwest":1fqs4q0s said:
Adding more picks to mitigate the bust possibility is what every team should try to do. All teams have had top 5 players bust for various reasons. I would rather add more picks and hit on one than put all of my eggs in one basket.

As examples:
Number 1 overall in the 1992 draft Steve Emtman.
Number 2 overall 1998 draft Ryan Leaf
Number 1 overall 2007 draft JaMarcus Russell
Number 4 overall 2009 draft Aaron Curry
Number 6 overall 2008 draft Vernon Gholston

So let's trade back enough to land at 8 or so picks and get it done. I assume 3 trade backs is what it will take.

Number 2 overall 1993 draft Rick Mirer
Number 2 overall 1976 draft Steve Niehaus

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1opw7sot said:
I would rather see them put some talent on the field that coaches have to plan for then getting an extra couple picks that amount to nothing.

No pick is guaranteed. Just because a guy is a high pick does not make him a guy that opposing teams need to game plan for. The more picks you have the greater your chances of getting difference makers.

Rat

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":354ng3d0 said:
Northwest Seahawk":354ng3d0 said:

No pick is guaranteed. Just because a guy is a high pick does not make him a guy that opposing teams need to game plan for. The more picks you have the greater your chances of getting difference makers.

Statistically, you also have a greater chance of getting difference makers the earlier you pick.

That's not to say I'm dead-set against trading down, or that I think we should actually trade up, but I don't want to trade down just for the sake of trading down either. It depends who is there when we're on the clock.