The Big WR

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Are you on the "we need a Big WR" bandwagon? Here are some prospect that are project in the next 3 rounds.

we have some options
DK Metcalf 6'3 228lb
AJ Brown 6'1 228lb
JJ Arcega-Whiteside 6'2 225lb
Miles Boykin 6'4 220lb
Riley Ridley 6'1 199lb
Hakeen Butler 6'5 227lb
Travis Fulgham 6'3 215lb
Kelvin Harmon 6'3 221lb
Emanuel Hall 6'2 201lb
Jalen Hurd 6'5 226lb

Chawker

Reaction score
We could grab D. Sills in the forth round 6'3 " 203 if thats big enough for you. He scores alot. Great red zone connection .

sutz

Reaction score
As long as they find one who's not some diva that thinks he should get every throw and thinks blocking is beneath him.

It's probably why they don't draft receivers high, though.

:twisted:

MrThortan

Reaction score
Only two WRs were taken in the first round. Not sure how deep this draft is at the position, but there should be a lot of good options left. Not against spending our 2nd on the right guy. Give Russell a shiny new target to go along with his contract. Expect them to draft one eventually, just a question of which pick.

toffee

Reaction score
Wenhawk":6bwikrup said:
Are you on the "we need a Big WR" bandwagon? Here are some prospect that are project in the next 3 rounds.

we have some options
DK Metcalf 6'3 228lb
AJ Brown 6'1 228lb
JJ Arcega-Whiteside 6'2 225lb
Miles Boykin 6'4 220lb
Riley Ridley 6'1 199lb
Hakeen Butler 6'5 227lb
Travis Fulgham 6'3 215lb
Kelvin Harmon 6'3 221lb
Emanuel Hall 6'2 201lb
Jalen Hurd 6'5 226lb

metcalf was #2 wr at ole miss, aj was #1
butler reportedly drop a lot of passes

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I love them. But I don't want one for as long as Russell is our QB.

He doesn't pull the trigger on passes that big receivers need to be productive. Russell is a space thrower. Throw to the open area and let the guy go get it. He will throw into tight windows, but he's not very good at throwing to the elevated target. He excels throwing to lateral space and into the bucket. Not to a shoulder.

It's not a knock on Russell. He does what he does great. And you can win championships that way. But it's just not his strength. Unless a big receiver also has the short area quickness and agility of a Baldwin or Lockett.

justafan

Reaction score
With this offense I would rather have a WR than can run the scramble drill all day without quitting or getting tired.Smaller WRs seem to work better here. Quickness is more important IMO.

chris98251

Reaction score
Campbell is Golden Tate polished already and is quicker and much better route runner, he cuts on a dime which in our offense now is ideal.

Any big WR we get needs to be 6'3 or taller and 225 or bigger and know how to use his body, catch with his hands and track a ball with his back to the QB for the deep ball to have success oh not a body catcher.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
We don't need a big WR, we need a good WR. I think measurables are over-rated at times. Plenty of small guys that excel (Lockett, Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill) and plenty of big guys that excel (Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, AJ Green) and plenty of medium guys that excel (Beckham, Hopkins, Thielen).

chris98251

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2kknus1m said:
We don't need a big WR, we need a good WR. I think measurables are over-rated at times. Plenty of small guys that excel (Lockett, Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill) and plenty of big guys that excel (Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, AJ Green) and plenty of medium guys that excel (Beckham, Hopkins, Thielen).

Yeah but the diversity of situations and having length for different routes makes them valuable .

MrThortan

Reaction score
and... we got D.K. Metcalf. There was a small run on wide receivers and am surprised he was there for them to pick.

Rat

Reaction score
MrThortan":u8mcb10m said:
and... we got D.K. Metcalf. There was a small run on wide receivers and am surprised he was there for them to pick.

Well, we had to trade up for him. He wasn't "there for them to pick".

TAB420

Reaction score
I don't know? He was there and we picked him. Kind of hard to argue that...lol

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I am pretty happy with The KD pick. The elusive big WR has evaded Pete forever. Sidney Rice was about at close as we have had to multi year production from a big target.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1zml5kyl said:
Any big WR we get needs to be 6'3 or taller and 225 or bigger and know how to use his body, catch with his hands and track a ball with his back to the QB for the deep ball to have success oh not a body catcher.

This is exactly who Metcalf is. He doesn't have great agility. Won't be great at curl/hitches. DK has above average hands. Doesn't seem to track the ball great when it's coming directly at him. But over the shoulder, he sees it very well. And has exceptional catch radius over the shoulder.

Bucket throws he is exceptional at. Russell is exceptional at that. Honestly, I think Wilson is going to have to learn to try to overthrow Metcalf. He's going to be faster/better than Lockett on the deep ball. Metcalf is going to force Wilson to adjust instead of the other way around.

Another underrated/appreciated part of Metcalf's game. He is great at boxing out defenders in the end zone. He's like Karl Malone when he used to post up. Just is great at putting a defender on a hip and presenting a huge opening to deliver a pass. Probably just as good at the post up as Jimmy Graham. Doesn't have Graham's height. But in terms of being able to effortlessly and naturally shield a defender away from a ball -- he has that in spades.

Intriguing pick. I wonder what effect the slide to the late 2nd will have on him. Will he come in pissed off to be great and humble him to work at his deficiencies?

chris98251

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":14c2dqky said:
chris98251":14c2dqky said:

This is exactly who Metcalf is. He doesn't have great agility. Won't be great at curl/hitches. DK has above average hands. Doesn't seem to track the ball great when it's coming directly at him. But over the shoulder, he sees it very well. And has exceptional catch radius over the shoulder.

Bucket throws he is exceptional at. Russell is exceptional at that. Honestly, I think Wilson is going to have to learn to try to overthrow Metcalf. He's going to be faster/better than Lockett on the deep ball. Metcalf is going to force Wilson to adjust instead of the other way around.

Another underrated/appreciated part of Metcalf's game. He is great at boxing out defenders in the end zone. He's like Karl Malone when he used to post up. Just is great at putting a defender on a hip and presenting a huge opening to deliver a pass. Probably just as good at the post up as Jimmy Graham. Doesn't have Graham's height. But in terms of being able to effortlessly and naturally shield a defender away from a ball -- he has that in spades.

Intriguing pick. I wonder what effect the slide to the late 2nd will have on him. Will he come in pissed off to be great and humble him to work at his deficiencies?

He is still learning how to play the position, he was an Elite athlete against his competition, now that window is closed a lot more and he will have to add dimensions to his game, being a redshirt sophomore much like Thomas was he has growth yet to add physically and to his game.

He could be a Super Star in two years or Super Bust depending on his head and how he receives coaching.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
big body physical target that fell in our lap with value let alone adding a chip on his shoulder with getting passed over... give me that guy all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1vg9755k said:
chris98251":1vg9755k said:

a

One thing too is how violent he is out of his breaks. I don’t care about his agility because it’s not his game. He can bulldoze press and then beat you deep. A fantastic deep threat receiver for a fantastic deep ball passer.

So far this draft has felt themed towards violence. Metcalf, Blair and Collier are all violent physical players. There’s some risk with Blair and Metcalf for injury but Penny had great medical grades (per Schneider) and still got hurt (so I don’t care).

My pipe dream is coming out of this draft with Butler and a Metcalf but I doubt that it happens. Penny Hart would also be fun.