Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are the PAC-10 Playoff Chances Over Already

Discuss your thoughts about anything College Football or NFL draft. Recruiting, Projections, and Mock drafts, Etc. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Heard it mentioned on ESPN. Think it was Finebaum's show (saw it on youtube so not sure if it was last night or this morning).

With BYU and Hawaii for an out of conference schedule, I doubt the Huskies will be able to show a strong enough resume.

Stanford plays UCF (currently ranked 17th) and Notre Dame. I suspect Notre Dame won't look as good by the end of the season as they do now though. Props, though, for their out of conference schedule. Beat Northwestern yesterday so all of their nonconference games are quality.

Then, of course, there is WSU. Not a great out of conference schedule but coming through and winning the Apple Cup this year might put them over the top!
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Depends on how my loses the big boys (Alabama, Clemson, OU, OSU, Mich) have. I think an undefeated UW or Stanford would make it and if any other PAC 12 team that goes undefeated would make it with some help.
    dutchcoug
    NET Veteran

• Not at all.

Washington made the playoffs in 2016 with one loss and a cupcake out of conference schedule.

Last year Oklahoma made the playoffs with one loss despite no quality out of conference opponents and in a conference that wasn't very good.

An undefeated Pac 12 team absolutely gets into the playoffs. A one loss Pac 12 team that wins the conference has about a 70% chance of getting in.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• I do think it's a bit early to rule out the entire conference, but I wouldn't be surprised if the conference is left out again. But I would have said that before yesterday's result too.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Run the table and you’re in IMHO. 1 loss and the biases kick in.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• What about Utah?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• HawkGA wrote:...........Then, of course, there is WSU. Not a great out of conference schedule but coming through and winning the Apple Cup this year might put them over the top!

Bwa ha ha ha! (and I'm a Cougar fan)

Uncle Si wrote:What about Utah?

Huntley is not a conference winning level QB imo though the D looks damned good again, at least it did vs. BYU. I believe the Huskies are the Pac-12's best bet based on talent and favorable schedule.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Neither is Herbert as a 3 star qb. You cant win a championship with a 3 star qb it aint happening.
    theseahawkguy
    NET Practice Squad

• theseahawkguy wrote:Neither is Herbert as a 3 star qb. You cant win a championship with a 3 star qb it aint happening.

There are always outliers.

Moon attended two-year West Los Angeles College, and was a record-setting quarterback as a freshman in 1974, but only a handful of four-year colleges showed interest in signing him. Offensive coordinator d*ck Scesniak of the University of Washington in Seattle, however, was eager to sign the rifle-armed Moon. Adamant that he play quarterback, Moon considered himself to be perhaps a slightly above-average athlete who lacked either the size, speed, or strength to play other positions.

Then there are nobody wins with 3rd round picks as QB's yet Montana did well, Wilson has done well, and that guy in Massachusetts has had a little success.

System, heart, skill set, not stars make a Champion in anything.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Georgia St beats Tennessee and Wyoming beats Missouri. If any conference is looking like straight up trash this year, it's the SEC. Hopefully they get left out.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:What about Utah?

Good point, Utah is right there with the conference favorites.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• DomeHawk wrote:

What's their schedule difficulty like?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• fenderbender123 wrote:Georgia St beats Tennessee and Wyoming beats Missouri. If any conference is looking like straight up trash this year, it's the SEC. Hopefully they get left out.

This is nothing new. The SEC, the conference as a whole, is always drastically overrated. There are mediocre and bad teams in the SEC, just like every other conference, but for some reason many act like playing in that conference is like running a gauntlet. It's not.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:Georgia St beats Tennessee and Wyoming beats Missouri. If any conference is looking like straight up trash this year, it's the SEC. Hopefully they get left out.

This is nothing new. The SEC, the conference as a whole, is always drastically overrated. There are mediocre and bad teams in the SEC, just like every other conference, but for some reason many act like playing in that conference is like running a gauntlet. It's not.

In fairness, the 4th best team (?) from the SEC just beat the best team in the PAC-12.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:Georgia St beats Tennessee and Wyoming beats Missouri. If any conference is looking like straight up trash this year, it's the SEC. Hopefully they get left out.

In fairness, the 4th best team (?) from the SEC just beat the best team in the PAC-12.

I think it remains to be seen who the best team, or 4th best team, in any conference is.

But you're right. Auburn came from behind to score the winning TD against Oregon with 10 seconds left. Meanwhile, Tennessee lost to Georgia State, Missouri lost to Wyoming, Arizona lost to Hawaii, and UCLA lost to Cincinnati. What does all that mean? Not much, and it certainly doesn't refute what I said about the SEC being overrated and having bad/mediocre teams just like every other conference.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• HawkGA wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

Really? We are one game into the season and you know who the best team is in the Pac and the fourth best in the SEC?

We know that stuff at the end of the season, not at the start. Right now Auburn is 1-0 and Oregon is 0-1. That is all we know.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• So you don't think you could predict the hierarchy of just about any conference out there and be pretty close to right? I mean, maybe Oregon turns out not to be the best team in the PAC-12, but going in they have largely been the favorite. Auburn isn't sniffing best in the SEC, probably 3rd in their own division.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Personally think the only thing that can be learned from that game is how fragile Oregon still is on a big stage.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• I will say I don't understand the Herbert hype. I haven't seen him play but my general rule is that if I don't hear about a player until draft time, probably not a good prospect (theory developed based in Jeff George).
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:So you don't think you could predict the hierarchy of just about any conference out there and be pretty close to right? I mean, maybe Oregon turns out not to be the best team in the PAC-12, but going in they have largely been the favorite. Auburn isn't sniffing best in the SEC, probably 3rd in their own division.

How many times does the season turn out NOT as predicted. And, what you are claiming simply is not true. The so-called 4th best team in the SEC isn't better than the so-called best team in the Pac. For the vast majority of that game Oregon was the better team and I am convinced, as much as it pains me to say this, Oregon is a better football team than Auburn. They just found a way to lose at the end.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• HawkGA wrote:I will say I don't understand the Herbert hype. I haven't seen him play but my general rule is that if I don't hear about a player until draft time, probably not a good prospect (theory developed based in Jeff George).

He never has really done anything, in his only full season he threw for 59%, nothing really that productive.

The hype on Herbert is his physical metrics, NFL scouts love his size (6-6, 231), arm strength, and athleticism. He IS the prototypical NFL quarterback.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• The answer to the question posed by this thread is 'yes' (sadly)
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:The answer to the question posed by this thread is 'yes' (sadly)

Easy now don't forget about the Cougs.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• getnasty wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:The answer to the question posed by this thread is 'yes' (sadly)

They could be 10-0 going into the Apple Cup and the Dawgs could be 5-5 and the Cougs would still get beat by 2 TDs. Want to be wrong but until Leach proves he can actually beat Peterson/Lake, I'm resigned to a 2nd level bowl. Don't get me wrong, I love what he's done for the program. It's relevant and top-20 every year now. Stay as long as you want, please Mike. However, when another team has superior talent imo you can't go in with the "we're gonna play our game and dare you to stop us" card because that's what happens, you get stopped.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• DomeHawk wrote:

Utah won't even win the south. SC will.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    getnasty wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:The answer to the question posed by this thread is 'yes' (sadly)

They could be 10-0 going into the Apple Cup and the Dawgs could be 5-5 and the Cougs would still get beat by 2 TDs. Want to be wrong but until Leach proves he can actually beat Peterson/Lake, I'm resigned to a 2nd level bowl. Don't get me wrong, I love what he's done for the program. It's relevant and top-20 every year now. Stay as long as you want, please Mike. However, when another team has superior talent imo you can't go in with the "we're gonna play our game and dare you to stop us" card because that's what happens, you get stopped.

Couldn't agree more but hopefully the Cougs can turn the corner this year. The problem is they are who they are, i just don't see them turning into a phyical style running team when the Huskys come to town. They need to find a way to do what they do better agaisnt UW.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• I'm not suggesting the Cougs have even tiny shot, but at this point, the only real candidates are Utah, USC, and WSU unless Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma and LSU lose some real DUMB games. I think we all know Clemson and Alabama are locks unless they lose 2.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• I think USC has the best shot. Will have a game against Notre Dame at least and do have the general national stature to draw attention.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:I think USC has the best shot. Will have a game against Notre Dame at least and do have the general national stature to draw attention.

I thought you said that Oregon was the best team in the Pac?

Like I said in another thread, you can never count USC out with all those 5-star and 4-star players. I think they have the 4th best talent composite in college football. Most people had already counted them out with the loss of JT Daniels but that freshman QB looks pretty good.

Lots of parity in the Pac, several teams have the potential to come out on top.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tjdmhem
    NET Bench Warmer

• And USC is out of the running. Apparently Stanford sucks worse than expected too. Still hope for the Cougs though.
    Last edited by HawkGA on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Arizona State?
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Arizona State?

Fork em Devils..

Buy they'll 2-3 games minimum
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• HawkGA wrote:And USC is out of the running. Apparently Stanford sucks worse than expected too. Still hope for the Could though.

Aren't you a huge Tide fan?
    Seem to remember them as your avatar.
    I sure remember posting SEC teams records the
    year UW had to play them so all this early stuff
    means nothing.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

ASU is a program with a strong football tradition, they Haven't finished that good lately but they are always a dangerous team that is capable of upsetting ranked teams.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:And USC is out of the running. Apparently Stanford sucks worse than expected too. Still hope for the Could though.

Aren't you a huge Tide fan?
    Seem to remember them as your avatar.
    I sure remember posting SEC teams records the
    year UW had to play them so all this early stuff
    means nothing.

I don't think I've ever had it in an avatar, but yes, I'm an Alabama fan. I do have a soft spot for the PAC-12, though, having grown up in the Northwest and would cheer for a PAC-12 team over just about any other team (well, at least over teams in the Big 10, Big 12, and ACC).
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Uncle Si wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Arizona State?

Fork em Devils..

Agree but I threw them out since they're 3-0 at present. "So you're telling me there's a chance".
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Arizona State?

Fork em Devils..

Agree but I threw them out since they're 3-0 at present. "So you're telling me there's a chance".

I watched the game and the D was impressive.

QB was mediocre though.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• DomeHawk wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:Here's a bit of good news for the PAC12.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ap-top-25- ... 18935.html

Won't last, we'll just beat each other up.

Ultimately there has to be 25 teams in the top 25 though and I wouldn't look to the ACC to fill much more than 1 spot. Not sure the Big 12 will take up many spots either. That leaves a lot of room for the PAC-12 to get teams ranked. I don't think the 6 will last but I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year the PAC-12 is near the top in total number of ranked teams.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

Ultimately there has to be 25 teams in the top 25 though and I wouldn't look to the ACC to fill much more than 1 spot. Not sure the Big 12 will take up many spots either. That leaves a lot of room for the PAC-12 to get teams ranked. I don't think the 6 will last but I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year the PAC-12 is near the top in total number of ranked teams.

None will be in top 10 though....

Maybe Oregon, or atleast 10/19 game in Seattle
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

None will be in top 10 though....

Maybe Oregon, or atleast 10/19 game in Seattle

I believe Utah is already in the Top-10.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• In regards to end of year, per hawkGA post
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:In regards to end of year, per hawkGA post

Yeah I know, but if they keep winning....
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• Still not over. A one loss pac 12 team still has about a 70% chance. The pac 12 is not looking that bad compared to the other power conferences.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• A one-loss PAC-12 team is not making it into the playoffs. Fair or not, it's not happening. There would have to be a sea of 2 loss teams, if not 3 loss. Clemson isn't losing a game in the ACC so that's one of the four spots taken. I wouldn't be surprised if Ohio State and Oklahoma go undefeated. But even if each just lost one, they are still getting in ahead of a 1 loss PAC-12 team.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:A one-loss PAC-12 team is not making it into the playoffs. Fair or not, it's not happening. There would have to be a sea of 2 loss teams, if not 3 loss. Clemson isn't losing a game in the ACC so that's one of the four spots taken. I wouldn't be surprised if Ohio State and Oklahoma go undefeated. But even if each just lost one, they are still getting in ahead of a 1 loss PAC-12 team.

Agree with this, to a degree.

PAC doesn't have the credibility at the moment. However, if one of Oregon or Washington (more than likely Oregon, only losing to Auburn) win out, they will be in the conversation and get in over any 2 loss teams.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Never mind
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Next

It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT ]

Information