Are the PAC-10 Playoff Chances Over Already

HawkGA

Reaction score
Heard it mentioned on ESPN. Think it was Finebaum's show (saw it on youtube so not sure if it was last night or this morning).

With BYU and Hawaii for an out of conference schedule, I doubt the Huskies will be able to show a strong enough resume.

Stanford plays UCF (currently ranked 17th) and Notre Dame. I suspect Notre Dame won't look as good by the end of the season as they do now though. Props, though, for their out of conference schedule. Beat Northwestern yesterday so all of their nonconference games are quality.

Then, of course, there is WSU. Not a great out of conference schedule but coming through and winning the Apple Cup this year might put them over the top!

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Depends on how my loses the big boys (Alabama, Clemson, OU, OSU, Mich) have. I think an undefeated UW or Stanford would make it and if any other PAC 12 team that goes undefeated would make it with some help.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Not at all.

Washington made the playoffs in 2016 with one loss and a cupcake out of conference schedule.

Last year Oklahoma made the playoffs with one loss despite no quality out of conference opponents and in a conference that wasn't very good.

An undefeated Pac 12 team absolutely gets into the playoffs. A one loss Pac 12 team that wins the conference has about a 70% chance of getting in.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I do think it's a bit early to rule out the entire conference, but I wouldn't be surprised if the conference is left out again. But I would have said that before yesterday's result too.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkGA":iipmlo7s said:
...........Then, of course, there is WSU. Not a great out of conference schedule but coming through and winning the Apple Cup this year might put them over the top!
Bwa ha ha ha! (and I'm a Cougar fan)

Uncle Si":iipmlo7s said:
What about Utah?
Huntley is not a conference winning level QB imo though the D looks damned good again, at least it did vs. BYU. I believe the Huskies are the Pac-12's best bet based on talent and favorable schedule.

theseahawkguy

Reaction score
Neither is Herbert as a 3 star qb. You cant win a championship with a 3 star qb it aint happening.

chris98251

Reaction score
theseahawkguy":3h0bxhft said:
Neither is Herbert as a 3 star qb. You cant win a championship with a 3 star qb it aint happening.

There are always outliers.

Moon attended two-year West Los Angeles College, and was a record-setting quarterback as a freshman in 1974, but only a handful of four-year colleges showed interest in signing him. Offensive coordinator Dick Scesniak of the University of Washington in Seattle, however, was eager to sign the rifle-armed Moon. Adamant that he play quarterback, Moon considered himself to be perhaps a slightly above-average athlete who lacked either the size, speed, or strength to play other positions.

Then there are nobody wins with 3rd round picks as QB's yet Montana did well, Wilson has done well, and that guy in Massachusetts has had a little success.

System, heart, skill set, not stars make a Champion in anything.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Georgia St beats Tennessee and Wyoming beats Missouri. If any conference is looking like straight up trash this year, it's the SEC. Hopefully they get left out.

Chapow

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3huq1kld said:
Georgia St beats Tennessee and Wyoming beats Missouri. If any conference is looking like straight up trash this year, it's the SEC. Hopefully they get left out.

This is nothing new. The SEC, the conference as a whole, is always drastically overrated. There are mediocre and bad teams in the SEC, just like every other conference, but for some reason many act like playing in that conference is like running a gauntlet. It's not.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Chapow":2qchkd2g said:
fenderbender123":2qchkd2g said:

This is nothing new. The SEC, the conference as a whole, is always drastically overrated. There are mediocre and bad teams in the SEC, just like every other conference, but for some reason many act like playing in that conference is like running a gauntlet. It's not.

In fairness, the 4th best team (?) from the SEC just beat the best team in the PAC-12.

Chapow

Reaction score
HawkGA":1yxxaewm said:
Chapow":1yxxaewm said:
fenderbender123":1yxxaewm said:

In fairness, the 4th best team (?) from the SEC just beat the best team in the PAC-12.

I think it remains to be seen who the best team, or 4th best team, in any conference is.

But you're right. Auburn came from behind to score the winning TD against Oregon with 10 seconds left. Meanwhile, Tennessee lost to Georgia State, Missouri lost to Wyoming, Arizona lost to Hawaii, and UCLA lost to Cincinnati. What does all that mean? Not much, and it certainly doesn't refute what I said about the SEC being overrated and having bad/mediocre teams just like every other conference.

D

DomeHawk

HawkGA":1e2bv93q said:
Chapow":1e2bv93q said:
fenderbender123":1e2bv93q said:

Really? We are one game into the season and you know who the best team is in the Pac and the fourth best in the SEC?

We know that stuff at the end of the season, not at the start. Right now Auburn is 1-0 and Oregon is 0-1. That is all we know.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
So you don't think you could predict the hierarchy of just about any conference out there and be pretty close to right? I mean, maybe Oregon turns out not to be the best team in the PAC-12, but going in they have largely been the favorite. Auburn isn't sniffing best in the SEC, probably 3rd in their own division.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Personally think the only thing that can be learned from that game is how fragile Oregon still is on a big stage.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I will say I don't understand the Herbert hype. I haven't seen him play but my general rule is that if I don't hear about a player until draft time, probably not a good prospect (theory developed based in Jeff George).