Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quick rankings question

Discuss your thoughts about anything College Football or NFL draft. Recruiting, Projections, and Mock drafts, Etc. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Quick rankings question
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:30 pm
  • Any reason I'm seeing 'bama as 1 and 3 in other places. Also Penn state 4 and 5. A mistake or something else going on?
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Quick rankings question
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:34 pm
  • There are three different rankings. CFP, AP, and Coaches.

CFP has Bama ranked 3rd, AP has them 2nd, and Coaches have them 1st.

Likewise, CFP has Penn State 4th, while AP and Coaches have them 5th.
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:44 pm
  • JGreen79 wrote:There are three different rankings. CFP, AP, and Coaches.

Looking like Bama won't be ranked that high next week. Down 20 at the half to LSU
    Penn St. definitely won't be up there next week :D
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:49 pm
  • I assume they'll cancel the college football playoff if Bama's not going to be part of it, right? I mean, they've been in it every single year.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:20 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:I assume they'll cancel the college football playoff if Bama's not going to be part of it, right? I mean, they've been in it every single year.

Sure would be nice to see one without them.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:58 pm
  • Close loss insures Alabama is in..Can't have the precious
    SEC without 2 teams in it.
    UK..The playoff ranking is only one that counts.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:08 pm
  • They'll have to take Alabama over a 1 loss Utah, Oregon, or Oklahoma if there gonna get in.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:28 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:Close loss insures Alabama is in..Can't have the precious
    SEC without 2 teams in it.........

getnasty wrote:They'll have to take Alabama over a 1 loss Utah, Oregon, or Oklahoma if there gonna get in.

And if Alabama wins out and so does Oregon and Oklahoma. they'll justify it by saying "but Alabama beat Auburn and Oregon lost to them and Oklahoma lost to a lower tier team". Who cares if Oregon was missing 4 WRs due to injury in that game. Who cares if Oregon and Oklahoma won a conference championship game and Alabama didn't even play in one. Who cares if Alabama's out of conference schedule was a joke (as usual). All that matters is get those SEC schools in since the SEC and ESPN are running the whole thing.

They do that and I promise I won't turn on one second of their contrived final four. Not getting my TV ratings. Eff the SEC. Eff ESPN.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:48 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Close loss insures Alabama is in..Can't have the precious

getnasty wrote:They'll have to take Alabama over a 1 loss Utah, Oregon, or Oklahoma if there gonna get in.

And if Alabama wins out and so does Oregon and Oklahoma. they'll justify it by saying "but Alabama beat Auburn and Oregon lost to them and Oklahoma lost to a lower tier team". Who cares if Oregon was missing 4 WRs due to injury in that game. Who cares if Oregon and Oklahoma won a conference championship game and Alabama didn't even play in one. Who cares if Alabama's out of conference schedule was a joke (as usual). All that matters is get those SEC schools in since the SEC and ESPN are running the whole thing.

They do that and I promise I won't turn on one second of their contrived final four. Not getting my TV ratings. Eff the SEC. Eff ESPN.

Yeah, Alabama will need to lose another game, or LSU two...

Issue is, and here is the reality: Alabama would $h!t any of the teams competing with them for the 4th spot. And it will be like that for years.

The purpose if the playoff is to get the best 4 teams in, and they've already demonstrated they don't much care about the coach rankings.

For me, the playoff needs to expand to 6. Teams at 7-12 could still argue they are a top 6, but find it hard to believe they think they can beat a top 4.

Example this year is Minnesota. What a great win for them and the campus. But OSU will put 60 on them in the Big 10 championship
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:09 am
    IndyHawk wrote:Close loss insures Alabama is in..Can't have the precious

Alabama played a weak (though still Power 5 who just had a top pick QB) opponent in Duke this year, but they have consistently scheduled a quality non-conference opponent for the last several seasons. If there is an issue with the SEC schedule, it's that they should play one more conference game (the ACC, I believe, has the same problem). It's not that they don't play a difficult non-conference schedule. Most good teams generally schedule one good non-conference and then cupcakes. To pretend Alabama is somehow different in that regard is dishonest.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:22 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:

Yeah, Alabama will need to lose another game, or LSU two...

Issue is, and here is the reality: Alabama would $h!t any of the teams competing with them for the 4th spot. And it will be like that for years.

The purpose if the playoff is to get the best 4 teams in, and they've already demonstrated they don't much care about the coach rankings.

For me, the playoff needs to expand to 6. Teams at 7-12 could still argue they are a top 6, but find it hard to believe they think they can beat a top 4.

Example this year is Minnesota. What a great win for them and the campus. But OSU will put 60 on them in the Big 10 championship

I am surprised Oklahoma is ranked below Oregon and Utah. If I were just making a guess, not looking at the current rankings, I would have thought Oklahoma would be the team Bama would need to beat out to get in the playoff. The PAC-12 would seem like a foregone conclusion that they'll be on the outside looking in.

Oklahoma could well lose again, possibly in their conference championship. Obviously there will be at least one more loss between Oregon and Utah. So I don't think it is too much of a stretch to think Bama could get voted in. It could come down to Bama, Oregon, and MN. MN would have the best win and would make for an interesting story but I'm not sure I see a selection committee picking a flash in the pan team. Oregon could get held back by their Auburn loss, especially if Bama trounces Auburn.

As to expanding to 6, I don't like it. The simple fact is there looks to be 3 teams deserving of playing for the national championship. The controversy arises because to make a playoff work, you need 4 teams (well, I guess you could give Team 1 a bye and let 2 and 3 battle it out, but that seems like an unfair advantage for Team 1). But let's be honest, none of those three teams I just talked about (or 4, I guess, if Utah beats Oregon) really deserves to be in the conversation with Ohio State, LSU, and Clemson this season. This conversation wouldn't change if we moved to 6 teams, we'd just argue instead about the 6th, 7th, and 8th teams.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:30 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Who cares if Alabama's out of conference schedule was a joke (as usual).

Not sure if you're a Huskies fan or not, but their non-conference opponents were Eastern Washington, Hawaii, and BYU. Not exactly a stellar non-conference schedule.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:08 am

For information....CFP is College Football Playoff poll
    AP is Associated Press which is a poll by Sportswriters related to the Associated Press
    Coaches poll is of course all the coaches in the Football Bowl Series

Hope this helps.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:48 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Who cares if Alabama's out of conference schedule was a joke (as usual).

Not sure if you're a Huskies fan or not, but their non-conference opponents were Eastern Washington, Hawaii, and BYU. Not exactly a stellar non-conference schedule.

Cougar fan first, Husky fan second and you're right about that schedule, it was abysmal. Therein lies the problem with not having an 8 team playoff, each conference champ from the power 5 conferences and 3 wildcards. That way the almighty SEC gets their 2 in and teams aren't afraid to schedule tough early season games out of conference.
    Furthermore, the number of conference games for each conference should be standardized.
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:51 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:.......Issue is, and here is the reality: Alabama would $h!t any of the teams competing with them for the 4th spot. And it will be like that for years........

It pains me to say this, but I disagree. I actually believe Oregon can play with them...... Sr. QB, good run game, etc. I could see a game with a score similar to LSU v. Bama yesterday.

Maybe it's just my Pac-12 homerism here and hell, maybe Utah beats them with that defense but to me thery look good and most importantly, they appear to have the SPEED of an SEC team.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:42 pm
    Uncle Si wrote:.......Issue is, and here is the reality: Alabama would $h!t any of the teams competing with them for the 4th spot. And it will be like that for years........

It pains me to say this, but I disagree. I actually believe Oregon can play with them...... Sr. QB, good run game, etc. I could see a game with a score similar to LSU v. Bama yesterday.

Maybe it's just my Pac-12 homerism here and hell, maybe Utah beats them with that defense but to me thery look good and most importantly, they appear to have the SPEED of an SEC team.

Oregon just BARELY beat unranked UW and WSU. I would be shocked if they could stay with any of the teams in the top six or seventh ranked.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:00 pm

Thanks for the heads up. At least I know I'm not going mad.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:28 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT ]

Information