Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who's in - Who's out

Discuss your thoughts about anything College Football or NFL draft. Recruiting, Projections, and Mock drafts, Etc. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Who's in - Who's out
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:47 pm
  • Coming down to wire:

    Teams in

    LSU

    Ohio St.

    Clemson

    These three are in no matter what - next?

    Georgia: They are in provided they either beat LSU, or some combination of Utah, Oklahoma, and Baylor losing (edit). Of course there are a number of scenarios where if either of those three win big they could leapfrog the Bulldogs with a possible loss to LSU.

    Utah: a Georgia loss could get them in but some are saying it has to be convincing. I don't buy that, they are the most complete team of the three behind Georgia.

    Oklahoma: They get more press than Utah with Jalen Hurts and company being closer to the east coast media machine BUT Oklahoma is NOT a complete team and most of their games are boat races.

    Baylor: They are two spots down from Utah at #7 but at least they have a defense.

    In my opinion Utah should be in with a win over Oregon.

    Go Utes!!!

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/06/us/colle ... index.html
    Last edited by DomeHawk on Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2663
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am
    Location: Ravenna


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:46 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:Coming down to wire:

    Teams in

    LSU

    Ohio St.

    Clemson

    These three are in no matter what - next?

    Georgia: They are in provided they either beat LSU, or Utah, Oklahoma, and Baylor all lose. Of course there are a number of scenarios where if either of those three win big they could leapfrog the Bulldogs with a possible loss to LSU.

    Utah: a Georgia loss could get them in but some are saying it has to be convincing. I don't buy that, they are th³e most complete team of the three behind Georgia.

    Oklahoma: They get more press than Utah with Jalen Hurts and company being closer to the east coast media machine BUT Oklahoma is NOT a complete team and most of their games are boat races.

    Baylor: They are two spots down from Utah at #7 but at least they have a defense.

    In my opinion Utah should be in with a win over Oregon.

    Go Utes!!!


    Oklahoma and Baylor can't both lose. If Georgia and Utah both lose, the Big XII winner is in, no matter what.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6464
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:48 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:Coming down to wire:

    Teams in

    LSU

    Ohio St.

    Clemson

    These three are in no matter what - next?

    Georgia: They are in provided they either beat LSU, or Utah, Oklahoma, and Baylor all lose. Of course there are a number of scenarios where if either of those three win big they could leapfrog the Bulldogs with a possible loss to LSU.

    Utah: a Georgia loss could get them in but some are saying it has to be convincing. I don't buy that, they are th³e most complete team of the three behind Georgia.

    Oklahoma: They get more press than Utah with Jalen Hurts and company being closer to the east coast media machine BUT Oklahoma is NOT a complete team and most of their games are boat races.

    Baylor: They are two spots down from Utah at #7 but at least they have a defense.

    In my opinion Utah should be in with a win over Oregon.

    Go Utes!!!


    Oklahoma and Baylor can't both lose. If Georgia and Utah both lose, the Big XII winner is in, no matter what.


    Right, not paying attention.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2663
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am
    Location: Ravenna


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:42 pm
  • I can't think of a year where being the #1 seed versus the #2 seed has been more important. Get the #1 seed and it's a pretty weak #4 team. Get the #2 seed and you get Clemson. Ouch.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 107065
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 pm


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:34 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:I can't think of a year where being the #1 seed versus the #2 seed has been more important. Get the #1 seed and it's a pretty weak #4 team. Get the #2 seed and you get Clemson. Ouch.


    There's no denying Clemson had an easy schedule, that's not all their fault. But there is no way I believe they are only the 3rd best team in the country.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6464
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:22 pm
  • Utah $h!t the bed. Oh joy, another year watching Oklahoma get smoked in the semis.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 24077
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:29 pm
  • I'm gonna say Georgia pulls off the upset and your end up with OSU, Clemson, Georgia and LSU.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4225
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:30 am
  • 4 teams is just stupid! I don't know what the answer is but had i'm ready to go to 8 if not 16. Get rid of 2 of the fluff games add two more weeks to the playoffs and your good.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4225
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:43 am
  • getnasty wrote:4 teams is just stupid! I don't know what the answer is but had i'm ready to go to 8 if not 16. Get rid of 2 of the fluff games add two more weeks to the playoffs and your good.


    5 automatic conference champions, with three additional participants selected by the committee. Match-ups still determined by rankings.

    In the event of conference realignments, the committee would have discretion to arrange things differently until new policies can be established.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2447
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:10 am
  • This season there are three deserving teams. For lots of seasons there are 2. Moving to 8 teams won't be an improvement.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 107065
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 pm


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:22 am
  • HawkGA wrote:This season there are three deserving teams. For lots of seasons there are 2. Moving to 8 teams won't be an improvement.


    This is about giving fans what they want. It would be interesting to see if giving more teams an opportunity to recruit as possible playoff contenders worked toward improved parity.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2447
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:17 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:This season there are three deserving teams. For lots of seasons there are 2. Moving to 8 teams won't be an improvement.


    Yeah there are about 5 teams that are deserving in the NFL but they end up sending 12 and that seems to work just fine. Whats the down side of expending?
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4225
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:30 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:This season there are three deserving teams. For lots of seasons there are 2. Moving to 8 teams won't be an improvement.


    Yeah there are about 5 teams that are deserving in the NFL but they end up sending 12 and that seems to work just fine. Whats the down side of expending?

    Particularly since your fav conference would nearly always get 2 teams HawkGA.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 24077
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:19 pm
  • Looking pretty clear now with Utah losing, Oklahoma beating Baylor, and LSU up by 14 at the half against a Georgia team that can't do anything on offense.

    Ohio St, LSU, Clemson, and Oklahoma.

    Oklahoma is gonna get smoked by any of those teams. The other semifinal should be a great game.

    I'd love to see Ohio St vs LSU for the championship, just because I feel like that would be the most entertaining game.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3368
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:15 pm
  • I agree.
    Oklahoma jumps into 4th for a chance.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 19854
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:25 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    getnasty wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:This season there are three deserving teams. For lots of seasons there are 2. Moving to 8 teams won't be an improvement.


    Yeah there are about 5 teams that are deserving in the NFL but they end up sending 12 and that seems to work just fine. Whats the down side of expending?

    Particularly since your fav conference would nearly always get 2 teams HawkGA.


    Just two? Oh come now. With 3 at-large bids I would think they would get at least 3. :twisted:
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 107065
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 pm


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:46 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    getnasty wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:This season there are three deserving teams. For lots of seasons there are 2. Moving to 8 teams won't be an improvement.


    Yeah there are about 5 teams that are deserving in the NFL but they end up sending 12 and that seems to work just fine. Whats the down side of expending?

    Particularly since your fav conference would nearly always get 2 teams HawkGA.


    Just two? Oh come now. With 3 at-large bids I would think they would get at least 3. :twisted:


    As they should, i hate the Sec but they probably have 4 of the top 8 teams in the country.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4225
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:42 pm
  • Looks like it's set. LSU should get Oklahoma, and Ohio State will take on Clemson.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6464
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:27 am
  • Im fine with four teams. The unique thing about college football is every week really is a championship week. Every team in the top conferences have had a whole season to earn a playoff berth. I dont need to see Memphis play Ohio state. Or Baylor play LSU.

    What I would like to see is 5 play 6,7 play 8 and 9 play 10 and so on but Utah will get some 3rd rate team in some scrub bowl. Let them play an Alabama or Penn State. Let Oregon play Georgia or Florida. See where the they stack up.
    justafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1864
    Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:37 am


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:46 pm
  • You know the funny part of this is that we went away from the "subjective" rankings that determined NC's before the playoff system and we're still right there.

    .....the more things change, the more they stay the same
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2663
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am
    Location: Ravenna


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:39 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:You know the funny part of this is that we went away from the "subjective" rankings that determined NC's before the playoff system and we're still right there.

    .....the more things change, the more they stay the same


    There was an early version of the BCS that put a lot of weight on strength of schedule. But they tinkered with the formula every year and made it worse. But I liked the early versions of the BCS.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 107065
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 pm


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:40 pm
  • justafan wrote:
    What I would like to see is 5 play 6,7 play 8 and 9 play 10 and so on but Utah will get some 3rd rate team in some scrub bowl. Let them play an Alabama or Penn State. Let Oregon play Georgia or Florida. See where the they stack up.


    This is what I would like too. The conference tie-ins and every conference wanting to make sure they are included is what screws this up.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 107065
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 pm


Re: Who's in - Who's out
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:49 am
  • justafan wrote:Im fine with four teams. The unique thing about college football is every week really is a championship week. Every team in the top conferences have had a whole season to earn a playoff berth. I dont need to see Memphis play Ohio state. Or Baylor play LSU.

    What I would like to see is 5 play 6,7 play 8 and 9 play 10 and so on but Utah will get some 3rd rate team in some scrub bowl. Let them play an Alabama or Penn State. Let Oregon play Georgia or Florida. See where the they stack up.

    Not quite as they are going to the Alamo Bowl, still a 2nd tier bowl though.. HOWEVER, who cares one iota about seeing Virginia in the Orange Bowl? Answer: no one outside that state. Utah would've been a far better choice. Virginia is ranked freaking 24th!!

    I love your idea of 5 vs. 6, 7 vs. 8 and so on. The traditional bowl game system has been dismantled anyway, let's change it up totally for the sake of the matchups you described. The only downside would be the Committee playing past and loose with the rankings but it would still be better than a $h!t Virginia team in the Orange Bowl.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 24077
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA




It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests