Best DT this year

Chawker

Reaction score
Darvon Hamilton DT Ohio st. 6' 4" 310 lbs.Sr.

He could be available late in round 1 great strength, speed and quickness. I'd be very happy drafting Hamilton.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Definitely should be there end of R1. Should be there end of R2 as well.

Not a speed rusher. Good playmaker though. Would not like the pedigree of talent we'd pass on at 27 to take him. But a solid get in the 55-70 overall range. Not exactly a good need fit.

I have him as better than Nazair, but less than Jarran. Problem will be that he's a fifth year senior who didn't/couldn't start his first 4 years in college. Now that's not a death knell (Cortez Kennedy was exactly the same way). But Cortez was just palpably and demonstrably great his senior season. He dominated. Hamilton is a good player. Not a 'I came to look at Chase Young but couldn't stop noticing Davon Hamilton' kind of guy.

Has great length which we like. Very good strength. Not horribly disruptive in the pass rush aspect. Certainly not when you account for the talent on that line that was getting the focus of their opponent.

Not unlike Reed, who shined when we had Clark, but faded when we had Magoo. I think Hamilton's production has to be viewed with a critical eye.

Some team might reach for him. But I think his real value is around 50 overall. And I fully expect the run on WRs to be in full force by then. He could tumble to the 60-70 overall range pretty quickly.

Additionally, all teams are thirsty for pass rushers. Particularly from the edge. This draft is pretty lean there. I expect reaches at this position. There are plenty of QBs and OT talent to help moderate that. But I think the run on DEs will start mid teens and move into the 20-22 range. Further pushing back players like Davon. If Seattle wants a rookie DE that can hope to make an impact similar to DK -- they're going to have to part with a couple R1s to move up.

Given their track record in the 25-35 overall range, I think I'm totally good with that.

ivotuk

Reaction score
OMG! Pete & John! Please trade both our 1s to move up and get a pass rush talent! Puhlease!

We desperately need a young, pass rush talent on his rookie contract for the next 5 years!

Why shitcan each of those 1st round picks on mediocre talent when you can combine them and get some help for Clowney?

Let L.J. Collier be a lesson!

That said, we need an Al Woods replacement so that we don't get gashed in the run game.

CPHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":3ckd46zv said:
OMG! Pete & John! Please trade both our 1s to move up and get a pass rush talent! Puhlease!

We desperately need a young, pass rush talent on his rookie contract for the next 5 years!

Why $h!t each of those 1st round picks on mediocre talent when you can combine them and get some help for Clowney?

That said, we need an Al Woods replacement so that we don't get gashed in the run game.

The way we draft, they should just trade our 1st rounders for proven NFL defenders.

ivotuk

Reaction score
CPHawk":3py9ld3q said:
ivotuk":3py9ld3q said:

Why $h!t each of those 1st round picks on mediocre talent when you can combine them and get some help for Clowney?

The way we draft, they should just trade our 1st rounders for proven NFL defenders.

Or that.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":icvgl0ym said:

Understand the sentiment.

But really, this rarely ever materializes. For two reasons:

1. Teams don't trade away proven DE talent often. That's why Clark fetched such a high price. And even then, his rookie deal expired.

2. The roster benefits of a productive young DE in terms of salary cap savings is massive. If you draft a player capable of 7-10 sacks a season, then you basically have the equivalent of 18M+ of additional cap space relative to getting a proven commodity. Consider, that Quandre Diggs has a cap figure of 5.2M. One could acquire 2-3 quality starters with that kind of savings.

That's why the 3rd round pick cost for Clowney was such a steal. It basically was your scenario stated above (trade for proven NFL defender), but instead of a 1st, it was a 3rd round pick.

In the end, it's really quite uncommon for a proven NFL anything to be worth the value of a 1st round pick. Unless they are still on their rookie deal. Age/decline and cap hits are low enough and less risky enough to get both the expected productivity and still have cap flexibility to even add or retain more talent.

Edit:

ivotuk":icvgl0ym said:

I would keep an eye on Ross Blacklock (TCU). Looks like a decent prospect that could be had late in day 2. Would provide similar quality, but definitely an upgrade on pass rushing. Has good length and kind of see him as a Tony McDaniel type of player for us. Disruptive, who can get some sacks, but tough against the run as well. Looks more athletic than Tony was. But looks long limbed on tape.

titan3131

Reaction score
I 100% believe that the plan was to draft jeffrey Simmons last year and when the Titans Picked him at 17 it caused a shock to JS PC.

I believe he was clearly the best Non DE DL player in the draft and was a significant contributor to the titans run.

This year the best DL player Ive noticed is Javon Kinlaw and I dont think theres any chance he gets to 27. So I have no idea what the plan is.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3mkeyd5v said:
CPHawk":3mkeyd5v said:
Edit:

ivotuk":3mkeyd5v said:

I would keep an eye on Ross Blacklock (TCU). Looks like a decent prospect that could be had late in day 2. Would provide similar quality, but definitely an upgrade on pass rushing. Has good length and kind of see him as a Tony McDaniel type of player for us. Disruptive, who can get some sacks, but tough against the run as well. Looks more athletic than Tony was. But looks long limbed on tape.

Nice find:

After redshirting his first year on campus, Blacklock became a freshman All-American in 2017, thanks to 27 tackles, including 6.5 for a loss with two sacks across 14 starts.

After being sidelined due to a non-contact injury during training camp in 2018, Blacklock returned to the field this last season and dominated, regularly drawing double and triple teams but still racking up 40 tackles, nine tackles for loss, and 3.5 sacks.

He’s widely expected to be a first or second round pick and should be one of the Combine’s top performers.

https://www.frogsowar.com/2019/12/27/21 ... -nfl-draft

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Chaisson declared. If he makes it past 15, Seattle should move up aggressively for him. Regardless of whatever geriatric solution they chase in free agency.

Need > Talent > Availability intersects.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Speed, speed, speed. That's what I wanna see. I'm sure they can find a fatty to through in the middle of the Dline to do fine.

kf3339

Reaction score
titan3131":1qxhqvls said:
I 100% believe that the plan was to draft jeffrey Simmons last year and when the Titans Picked him at 17 it caused a shock to JS PC.

I believe he was clearly the best Non DE DL player in the draft and was a significant contributor to the titans run.

This year the best DL player Ive noticed is Javon Kinlaw and I dont think theres any chance he gets to 27. So I have no idea what the plan is.

I loved Simmons as well, but doubt he was their number one choice. They never move up in the first, which is pretty much what needed to happen for him. The fact he was there in the mid round one means if they really wanted him it wouldn't have taken much to get ahead of the Titans for him. The hope to get him at 21 would have only been wishful thinking. But I get where you are coming from on him. He would've looked great on our team! :2thumbs:

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
NOTE: This post has been deleted 5/22/20, ------- this comes after multiple unprovoked attacks on me by the asshole acer1240. I will never post here again. This site has officially gone to hell & I'll never return.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
titan3131":3eroo48x said:

Agreed on Kinlaw. He's my single favorite DL prospect this year. He's a beast with a great backstory.