2020 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl: Standouts from Day 1 of practice

ivotuk

Reaction score
2020 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl: Standouts from Day 1 of practice

Small school, big game

Arkansas State's Omar Bayless woke up Monday as the nation's leading receiver for the 2019 season. But he knew as he walked off the practice field that afternoon that his status was tenuous at best. LSU's Ja'Marr Chase, who won the Biletnikoff Award, trailed Bayless by 94 yards and would be competing in the College Football Playoff National Championship.

Both players averaged well over 100 per game. Sure enough, Chase surpassed Bayless before halftime of LSU's victory.

"It's all good," Bayless said. "I wasn't fortunate enough to play as many games as him. He's a great player. Hats off to him."

Bayless, though, is grateful to have another game to play this weekend, even if the stats won't count toward his magnificent season.

"It's a great opportunity to compete with people outside my conference, give myself another chance to show people what I can do," Bayless added. "I've been doubted a whole lot. I just want to change people's point of view."

Bayless began that process some time ago. After putting up modest numbers over the previous two seasons, Bayless returned for a fifth season and caught 93 passes for 1,653 yards and 17 touchdowns. That put him on the radar of several scouts and paved the way for his participation in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... endingNews