Positions of immediate impact

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
A lot depends on the individual player, but there are certain positions in the NFL that take players longer to provide impact. The learning curve on some positions is just steeper than others. Obviously punter and kicker are positions of immediate impact for rookies. I believe there is only really one other position that by nature allows a rookie to have a potential immediate impact on their team, and that is RB. A RB that is an instinctual runner can use that to his strength as a rookie to help his team.

Because of the higher learning curve for most positions, it’s why we don’t often see players contributing to their potential until their 2nd or 3rd years. Hence the number of “first round busts”. If a guy is picked in the first round, regardless of position, he is expected to be an impact player right out of the gate. If he’s not, fans label him as a bust or wasted pick. Once that label is attached, the players psyche may never be the same and what was once a great deal of potential has now regressed into a lost cause.

Players that contribute at a high level right from the start are much rarer than the guys who take a year or two to get up to speed. I think this might have a little to do with Pete and Johns philosophy of trading out of the first round for additional picks. There truly are no can’t miss prospects in the draft. I can name dozens who were labeled can’t miss and just ended as a miss. With the draft a couple weeks away, I’m not looking for any saviors to add to the team, but just getting ready to sit back and dream about the potential they might bring to the team. It’s the last two rookie classes that I’m really looking forward to seeing how they progress.

Chawker

Reaction score
Staying put at 27 and taking Jonathan Taylor would be a nice addition to the Seahawks, one I could get behind rather quickly . :179417:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect Taylor might be had in the first 6-8 picks in the 2nd.

Seafan

Reaction score
Without an off season it's doubtful many rookies will have an impact. IMO that's why John went after vet OLs. It's possible a WR and LB could have impact with little OTAs but those positions aren't huge needs for the Hawks.

I expect the Hawks to trade down and tap into some of the depth of this draft.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Seafan":1xpx8usb said:
Without an off season it's doubtful many rookies will have an impact. IMO that's why John went after vet OLs. It's possible a WR and LB could have impact with little OTAs but those positions aren't huge needs for the Hawks.

I expect the Hawks to trade down and tap into some of the depth of this draft.

WR is one of the toughest positions to transition to from college to NFL. Being as we have 3-4 legit guys on the roster, maybe not so much. That said we did draft 3 WRs last year and added Dorsett this year. That said theyll probably draft a WR in the first rd.

nwHawk

Reaction score
This year is a complete wild card. Draft prospects can't be fully vetted, and draft picks may not be able to get the normal amount of preseason training and seasoning. Lots of risk. We know if a guys got "it" his game will translate. We need a PR/KR. One who can wiggle and run, unusual those are fearless young guys. One that can eventually turn into a solid or better receiver. Think of Tyler Lockett, or Antonio Brown. Most forget Brown was an excellent returner in college. Outside of Tyler we need an upgrade.

RB, LB, TE and Guard can be a positions filled with draft picks. But fit, and attitude are big keys. WR, QB, DE, LT are tough to plug and play. Often skill positions take 2 or 3 years to click. With the way things are going this off season, I'd be tempted to trade down and go Brandon Aiyuk or a running back (not Jonathan Taylor due to his fumble problems).

Subzero717

Reaction score
nwHawk":3e6df0f4 said:
This year is a complete wild card. Draft prospects can't be fully vetted, and draft picks may not be able to get the normal amount of preseason training and seasoning. Lots of risk. We know if a guys got "it" his game will translate. We need a PR/KR. One who can wiggle and run, unusual those are fearless young guys. One that can eventually turn into a solid or better receiver. Think of Tyler Lockett, or Antonio Brown. Most forget Brown was an excellent returner in college. Outside of Tyler we need an upgrade.

RB, LB, TE and Guard can be a positions filled with draft picks. But fit, and attitude are big keys. WR, QB, DE, LT are tough to plug and play. Often skill positions take 2 or 3 years to click. With the way things are going this off season, I'd be tempted to trade down and go Brandon Aiyuk or a running back (not Jonathan Taylor due to his fumble problems).

I think OL is actually harder to plug and play than we may think. I also think that may be why we signed several Ol vets this offseason. It seems it was a point of emphasis. I also think that may be the reason we haven't done anything with Britt yet. I think we do eventually but there is just too much uncertainty at this point.

DE in this system is virtually plug and play. The LBer and back end is a little more involved. Curry really struggled with assignments. KJ is a really smart guy, he wasn't retained for his athleticism.

If we draft a RB in the first 2 rounds I will probably throw something at my TV.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Are we talking first round picks here? There is a pretty big difference between a top 15 pick and a 16-45 overall pick. What prospect range are we talking here? My guess is, we might be surprised if we take a quick dive into the last three drafts.