Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some Thoughts on the Pick

Discuss your thoughts about anything College Football or NFL draft. Recruiting, Projections, and Mock drafts, Etc. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Some Thoughts on the Pick
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:55 am
  • Being a Seahawks fan is frustrating sometimes... Sometimes all the time... and it's all the time frustrating in the first round.

    In general, I try to understand the process behind decisions. In Project Management, so long as the good process behind a decision, I'm pretty forgiving of mistakes that happen in execution. Process is what matters, because process is what can be controlled.

    And man, I am struggling to wrap my head around the the Jordyn Brooks pick and the process that drove the decision.

    And it's not even that I hate the player. He's a fine player. But it makes understanding what they are doing more difficult.

    It's pretty clear that, in their minds and by their board, they went BPA. They have not done that for a long time and it kind of goes in the face what John Schneider has done in the past. I believe JS when he says that in his press conference yesterday because it was evident that they have no plan for where they are playing him. The answer was pretty much "We'll bring him in and see where he fits."

    Collier had a plan right away and didn't work out. And this idea of picking BPA seems like an over correction from last year.

    That being said, it is clear that Seattle is prioritizing team speed over all else at the moment. Going up against SF, Arizona and LA six times a year is making them commit heavily to team speed. It makes sense. Brooks and Barton are both very fast LBs. Barton is better in coverage and Brooks is better against the run, but both are fast guys. John also talked about having played in the Big 12 as being an advantage for Brooks which speaks to the proliferation of the spread into the NFL. So I think Seattle is taking inputs from the college game and slowly incorporating that into their defense.

    You also have the reality that KJ and Bobby are getting older and if they start to lose a step, Seattle will need Brooks and Barton on the roster. It's not a 2020 pick, it's a 2021 and on pick.

    It's also clear to me that Norton has heavy fingerprints on the roster construction and that bugs me. Norton needs extremely good LB play in his system and Pete and John are trying to give him quality guys at the position. But that doesn't necessarily make me feel better because I don't think Norton is a quality DC in this league.

    The last thing that it teaches me is that, I don't think Pete and John have a grand roster construction plan at the moment. I think they are recognizing where the roster is aging and planning for that, but not in terms of a vision for what they want this team to look like. Taking a step back and hearing John and Pete talk about throwing Brooks in and seeing where he'll fit, tells me they are identifying guys that are talented by their definition, bringing them in and are going to let things play out in Training Camp and through the year. It's almost like the Seahawks organization switched to Agile, which in a nutshell is a work flow process where you operate in short sprints of work. In other words, it feels like there is no grand plan of roster construction, but rather a focus on maximizing FA, stopping, surveying the roster. Then do the same thing with the draft. And when Training Camp comes around, let competition run it's course. It's probably less extreme than I'm making it sound, but it really does feel that way. Why else would we sign so many OL? Why not address their biggest need in FA? Why invest your biggest draft capital into a position that you have solidified starters at? It very much feels like, identify talent, bring it in, and we'll sort it out later. On the good side, it feels very Belichickian, but I do wonder if Pete's coaching staff has the chops to actually make that work.

    Not saying any of this is true, but these are some thoughts I've had since last night... When again, I feel like Seattle passed on better talent to select a player I didn't expect.
    Yxes1122
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 308
    Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:49 pm


Re: Some Thoughts on the Pick
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:45 am
  • relax, take a deep breath. re watch some of the game and see how awful our LB play was. Wagner was a shell. KJ has lost more than a step. teams ran on us and we couldn't tackle. You cant stop the run, its over, the whole thing falls apart. gotta fix the LB play now. We''l get Griffen in FA and a couple good guys in the 2nd and 3 round in the draft and be VASTLY improved.

    My concern is that our D coordinator is just not good. Schneider and Carroll most definitely have a plan and they are executing on it. Run the ball and play great defense. the 2 biggest needs are pass rush and LB.
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2604
    Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:14 pm


Re: Some Thoughts on the Pick
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:51 am
  • How is playing in the Big 12 an advantage? There is Oklahoma and ..... not a lot of other talented teams. I guess you have a point about the use of spread offenses but even that is a stretch. I'm thinking this move is more likely a negotiating tactic against BWags. Hope i'm wrong though and they turn him into a bad arse safety.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4370
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:50 am


Re: Some Thoughts on the Pick
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:04 am
  • Yxes1122 wrote:It's pretty clear that, in their minds and by their board, they went BPA. They have not done that for a long time and it kind of goes in the face what John Schneider has done in the past. I believe JS when he says that in his press conference yesterday because it was evident that they have no plan for where they are playing him. The answer was pretty much "We'll bring him in and see where he fits."


    Agreed.

    Yxes1122 wrote:That being said, it is clear that Seattle is prioritizing team speed over all else at the moment.


    Also agreed. And I think that's getting back to where they did their best work in 2010/11/12.

    Yxes1122 wrote:You also have the reality that KJ and Bobby are getting older and if they start to lose a step, Seattle will need Brooks and Barton on the roster. It's not a 2020 pick, it's a 2021 and on pick.


    Absolutely. I've mentioned before they have to start drafting ahead of imminent need if they can. Brooks is that kind of pick.

    Yxes1122 wrote:The last thing that it teaches me is that, I don't think Pete and John have a grand roster construction plan at the moment. I think they are recognizing where the roster is aging and planning for that, but not in terms of a vision for what they want this team to look like. Taking a step back and hearing John and Pete talk about throwing Brooks in and seeing where he'll fit, tells me they are identifying guys that are talented by their definition, bringing them in and are going to let things play out in Training Camp and through the year. It's almost like the Seahawks organization switched to Agile, which in a nutshell is a work flow process where you operate in short sprints of work. In other words, it feels like there is no grand plan of roster construction, but rather a focus on maximizing FA, stopping, surveying the roster. Then do the same thing with the draft. And when Training Camp comes around, let competition run it's course. .... Why invest your biggest draft capital into a position that you have solidified starters at? It very much feels like, identify talent, bring it in, and we'll sort it out later. On the good side, it feels very Belichickian, but I do wonder if Pete's coaching staff has the chops to actually make that work.


    Totally. I'd go even further. Seattle did the same thing when they came here. Simply adding everywhere that opportunity presented itself. It feels very much like a fundamental change from the 'grade against the roster' philosophy they've been utilizing since 2013.

    I'd say this FO has evolved.

    First, it appears that Seattle may no longer be willing to put up with the extreme learning curves associated with OL draftees. Not to say they are out of the market totally. But they haven't been willing to put up early picks to 'fix' the OL issues. And the last few UFA periods seems like they decided to add a bunch of Giacomini type vets to fill out depth.

    Second, they are seeming to be moving away from needs based drafting, and taking a longer term approach. Adding better talent where they may already be solid/strong at best, or shortly approaching need in the next 12 months. They drafted at their best, when the entire roster was in need. They collected talent everywhere.

    I'm not totally bummed about this pick. I still don't see Brooks as being a can't leave the draft without kind of talent. Honestly though, I can't really start to offer an opinion on this pick until we see what day two brings. Because it's possible -- even likely -- that taking Brooks was part of an overall talent/tier strategy where other prospects may afford exceptional value relative to the players we passed on to take Brooks.

    It's also a wierd draft. The trade back values were just wonky. Teams playing it safer. Lack of certainty/information stunting the trade market. Kind of felt similar to 2011, when we took Carpenter because trade back values just weren't there.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2449
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 pm


Re: Some Thoughts on the Pick
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:15 am
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    Yxes1122 wrote:It's pretty clear that, in their minds and by their board, they went BPA. They have not done that for a long time and it kind of goes in the face what John Schneider has done in the past. I believe JS when he says that in his press conference yesterday because it was evident that they have no plan for where they are playing him. The answer was pretty much "We'll bring him in and see where he fits."


    Agreed.

    Yxes1122 wrote:That being said, it is clear that Seattle is prioritizing team speed over all else at the moment.


    Also agreed. And I think that's getting back to where they did their best work in 2010/11/12.

    Yxes1122 wrote:You also have the reality that KJ and Bobby are getting older and if they start to lose a step, Seattle will need Brooks and Barton on the roster. It's not a 2020 pick, it's a 2021 and on pick.


    Absolutely. I've mentioned before they have to start drafting ahead of imminent need if they can. Brooks is that kind of pick.

    Yxes1122 wrote:The last thing that it teaches me is that, I don't think Pete and John have a grand roster construction plan at the moment. I think they are recognizing where the roster is aging and planning for that, but not in terms of a vision for what they want this team to look like. Taking a step back and hearing John and Pete talk about throwing Brooks in and seeing where he'll fit, tells me they are identifying guys that are talented by their definition, bringing them in and are going to let things play out in Training Camp and through the year. It's almost like the Seahawks organization switched to Agile, which in a nutshell is a work flow process where you operate in short sprints of work. In other words, it feels like there is no grand plan of roster construction, but rather a focus on maximizing FA, stopping, surveying the roster. Then do the same thing with the draft. And when Training Camp comes around, let competition run it's course. .... Why invest your biggest draft capital into a position that you have solidified starters at? It very much feels like, identify talent, bring it in, and we'll sort it out later. On the good side, it feels very Belichickian, but I do wonder if Pete's coaching staff has the chops to actually make that work.


    Totally. I'd go even further. Seattle did the same thing when they came here. Simply adding everywhere that opportunity presented itself. It feels very much like a fundamental change from the 'grade against the roster' philosophy they've been utilizing since 2013.

    I'd say this FO has evolved.

    First, it appears that Seattle may no longer be willing to put up with the extreme learning curves associated with OL draftees. Not to say they are out of the market totally. But they haven't been willing to put up early picks to 'fix' the OL issues. And the last few UFA periods seems like they decided to add a bunch of Giacomini type vets to fill out depth.

    Second, they are seeming to be moving away from needs based drafting, and taking a longer term approach. Adding better talent where they may already be solid/strong at best, or shortly approaching need in the next 12 months. They drafted at their best, when the entire roster was in need. They collected talent everywhere.

    I'm not totally bummed about this pick. I still don't see Brooks as being a can't leave the draft without kind of talent. Honestly though, I can't really start to offer an opinion on this pick until we see what day two brings. Because it's possible -- even likely -- that taking Brooks was part of an overall talent/tier strategy where other prospects may afford exceptional value relative to the players we passed on to take Brooks.

    It's also a wierd draft. The trade back values were just wonky. Teams playing it safer. Lack of certainty/information stunting the trade market. Kind of felt similar to 2011, when we took Carpenter because trade back values just weren't there.


    Im very appreciative to read your thought Attyla.

    The speed on Defense specifically in the LB core was MIA last year.

    There is not a better position on the roster to cut the average age of our team down with. Speed is connected with age, Bobby can play longer but KJ is on his last legs. KNDRX tore an acl and was clearly not the same speed as his youth.

    This GUY f*** FLIES Sideline to Sideline.

    Our Team stops the run, and makes you pass.

    At some points I had thought Willie G4Y might be the 1st pick. If we had full testing on Brooks he might have been athletically superior to G4Y and easily would have been on the popular thought Draftniks boards.
    titan3131
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1587
    Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:19 am




It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:16 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests