Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Full court shot: Who will Seattle pick in round 1?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:08 pm 
* NET Baller *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
Posts: 17537
Location: Graham, WA
I really love the idea of Ogletree, like really really do.

_________________
Image
3elieve


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Full court shot: Who will Seattle pick in round 1?
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:34 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am
Posts: 2239
SharkHawk wrote:
I picked Tavon Austin, somebody mentioned he's a smurf. Here I am thinking "wait a second... what about Russell Wilson? What about Robert Turbin? Doug Baldwin? Golden Tate? Marshawn Lynch? Obo? Leon W? It seems like the majority of our offensive playmakers aside from Rice and Miller are small and fast. I think you go BIG and fast on defense (or just big), but on offense, being smaller may be a benefit. Look at how bad guys like Darren Sproles and Barry Sanders have made guys look.

I think I'd be worried about our smallish receivers if other teams had our DB's... but they don't. Most teams have DB's that are around 5'10"-5'11" range. So a guy like Austin isn't a big liability. He reminds me of a VERY fast Baldwin that gets tons of catches and YAC.


It just doesn't mesh with PC's philosophy. He wants big outside WRs and it seems we have Baldwin & probably Tate who would be better suited for the slot. Austin seems like a better version of both Tate & Baldwin... but

Q: is that really a need?
A: No.

_________________
The artist formerly known as T-Sizzle


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Full court shot: Who will Seattle pick in round 1?
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:04 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9843
T-Sizzle wrote:
It just doesn't mesh with PC's philosophy. He wants big outside WRs and it seems we have Baldwin & probably Tate who would be better suited for the slot. Austin seems like a better version of both Tate & Baldwin... but

Q: is that really a need?
A: No.


Big WR isn't really a need either, so long as we have Rice/Edwards. Either way, I think a WR selection would be a bit of a luxury pick. Nothing wrong with looking at big WRs, but if JS really wanted that, then why did he poo-poo last year's WR class- one that was LOADED with giant WRs?

To be fair, the last draft didn't have a single WR that screamed surefire NFL superstar (Fitz, Megatron, etc), and this draft doesn't either. Most drafts don't. And unless you are getting a megastar WR, it's probably a good idea to not rely on that pick too much. Imagine how much trouble we'd be in if we had drafted Tate in the 1st round (he had a fringe 1st round grade before the draft) and then banked on him to be a #1? Imagine how much trouble Chicago might be in on offense if they had assumed Alshon Jeffery would singlehandedly turn their offense around? Or Arizona with Floyd or even Jacksonville with Blackmon?

I don't think Shark sees Austin as a surefire #1 or a guy that will make this offense elite- but he is a nifty player that fits an existing role in our offense and could provide solid, safe value.

So in that sense, drafting Austin seems completely sensible to me. Yeah, we don't exactly have a burning need for another short WR, but he would bring tremendous value to special teams and he'd likely be better than Doug Baldwin within a year or two as a #3 WR. I see Rice (if healthy) and Tate as long term fixtures, but Baldwin seems pretty shaky with so-so production and a body that is ridiculously injury prone (including college). So to me, Austin makes sense. I just think he's going to be a round two guy- though probably before our 2nd round pick.


Last edited by kearly on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Full court shot: Who will Seattle pick in round 1?
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:26 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Posts: 5209
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
kearly wrote:
T-Sizzle wrote:
It just doesn't mesh with PC's philosophy. He wants big outside WRs and it seems we have Baldwin & probably Tate who would be better suited for the slot. Austin seems like a better version of both Tate & Baldwin... but

Q: is that really a need?
A: No.


Big WR isn't really a need either, so long as we have Rice/Edwards. Either way, I think a WR selection would be a bit of a luxury pick. Nothing wrong with looking at big WRs, but if JS really wanted that, then why did he poo-poo last year's WR class- one that was LOADED with giant WRs.

To be fair, the last draft didn't have a single WR that screamed surefire NFL superstar (Fitz, Megatron, etc), and this draft doesn't either. Most drafts don't. And unless you are getting a megastar WR, it's probably a good idea to not rely on that pick too much. Imagine how much trouble we'd be in if we had drafted Tate in the 1st round (he had a fringe 1st round grade before the draft) and then banked on him to be a #1? Imagine how much trouble Chicago might be in on offense if they had assumed Alshon Jeffery would singlehandedly turn their offense around? Or Arizona with Floyd or even Jacksonville with Blackmon?

I don't think Shark sees Austin as a surefire #1 or a guy that will make this offense elite- but he is a nifty player that fits an existing role in our offense and could provide solid, safe value.

So in that sense, drafting Austin seems completely sensible to me. Yeah, we don't exactly have a burning need for another short WR, but he would bring tremendous value to special teams and he'd likely be better than Doug Baldwin within a year or two as a #3 WR. I see Rice (if healthy) and Tate as long term fixtures, but Baldwin seems pretty shaky with so-so production and a body that is ridiculously injury prone (including college). So to me, Austin makes sense. I just think he's going to be a round two guy- though probably before our 2nd round pick.


I still want defense! :lol:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Full court shot: Who will Seattle pick in round 1?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:46 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:47 am
Posts: 523
kearly wrote:
T-Sizzle wrote:
It just doesn't mesh with PC's philosophy. He wants big outside WRs and it seems we have Baldwin & probably Tate who would be better suited for the slot. Austin seems like a better version of both Tate & Baldwin... but

Q: is that really a need?
A: No.


Big WR isn't really a need either, so long as we have Rice/Edwards. Either way, I think a WR selection would be a bit of a luxury pick. Nothing wrong with looking at big WRs, but if JS really wanted that, then why did he poo-poo last year's WR class- one that was LOADED with giant WRs.


You can't really count Edwards, no way he is with us next year. Edwards gets little to no reps come gameday.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Full court shot: Who will Seattle pick in round 1?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:02 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:47 am
Posts: 523
Ogeltree for me if he is available. I was kind of suspect when English suggested taking him in the 1st round, but I have changed my tune after having taken a look at his game film. English was spot on when he compared Alec Ogeltree to former Seahawks LB Julian Peterson. Ogeltree looks like an incredibly athletic LB and a natural pass rusher when given the chance. For me the prospects I am most intrigued with are (DE/LB) Dion Jordan, (WR) Brandon Coleman, (LB/DE) Alec Ogeltree, (DT) Star Lotulelei (DT) Jonathan Jenkins.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Full court shot: Who will Seattle pick in round 1?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:31 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9843
cover-2 wrote:
You can't really count Edwards, no way he is with us next year. Edwards gets little to no reps come gameday.


Neither did Obomanu and he's stuck around forever. As long as Edwards remains humble and cheap, I see no reason why he can't stay. Although I suppose it's possible other teams snag him in free agency. Seattle received a lot of interest in Edwards at the deadline.

If Edwards does leave, Seattle could surf FA again for a cheap veteran WR with size to be a backup.

To be fair to your argument, there are some quality big WRs available. Mike Wallace plays big and will likely be a UFA. Patterson and Coleman are big WRs with great upside. Marquess Wilson has a chance to slide pretty far in the draft and become a potential steal.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Full court shot: Who will Seattle pick in round 1?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:53 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 pm
Posts: 1426
If he responds well to the surgery, Brennan Williams. He is definitely a late first round prospect. The fact that he is said to be able to play both tackle spots with his intangibles, but is a true right tackle helps.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chawker, EverydayImRusselin, General Manager and 28 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.