Marquess Wilson vs Mike Leach and the Cougs

JSeahawks

Reaction score
This could get good... This kid is a primadonna though. And I think Leach is sort of going the Boot Camp route with the Cougars. Tear them down completely, get them at the lowest point possible, and then rebuild them in the image you want. I think if he's given enough time he'll make the Cougs respectable. I'm not sure if he's going to get the time when his "star" player is coming at him like this though.

“Dear Cougar Nation:

“It is with a heavy heart that I announce my decision to forgo playing football for Washington State University. I realize the school is saying that I am suspended for violating team policies and may return next week, but this is a lie. This is an attempt by the athletic department to cover up what is really happening in that locker room.

“It is been a privilege to be a Cougar, to perform on your field and wear the Crimson and Gray. I would like to thank Washington State University for giving me the opportunity to do what I love most, to play football and receive a quality education for the past three years. I’m grateful to the athletic department for the coaching, care and encouragement I have received prior to this season.

“This was going to be our year. My teammates and I were aspiring to be the winning team you deserve. Unfortunately for all, the new coaching staff has destroyed that endeavor. I believe coaches have a chance to mold players, to shape men, to create greatness. However, the new regime of coaches has preferred to belittle, intimidate and humiliate us. This approach has obviously not been successful, and has put a dark shadow on this program.

“My teammates and I have endured this treatment all season long. It is not “tough love”. It is abuse. This abuse cannot be allowed to continue. I feel it is my duty to stand up and shed light on this situation by sacrificing my drams, my education and my pride. I resign from this team. I am deeply sorry to those I am letting down. I am not a quitter. I was raised by my family, and many previous coaches to exhibit dedication and embrace sacrifice, but there comes a time when one has to draw a line in the sand.

“Lastly, I thank my fellow teammates, those who also have left the program this year, and those we are leaving behind. I hope our departure will bring awareness to the physical, emotional and verbal abuse being allowed in the locker room and on the field. I pray for healing and recovery for all those who have been hurt by this treatment

“Sincerely,

Marquess Wilson”

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/articl ... |Frontpage

JKent82

Reaction score
Oh damn! That's some stuff right there!

The "regime" of coaches! :lol:

Shit's about to go down then. Interested to see how much truth to the abuse there is and how it gets handled by WSU and the media.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
JKent82":2ybmgplr said:
Oh damn! That's some stuff right there!

The "regime" of coaches! :lol:

Shit's about to go down then. Interested to see how much truth to the abuse there is and how it gets handled by WSU and the media.

I read it like this. "Boohoo, my coaches yelled at me and expected me to bust my ass at all times. Waaaahhhhhh. :428226_SadEmoticon: "

seahawk2k

Reaction score
What a coddled, weak, entitled child who was treated like an untouchable god by the previous staff doesn't like having to work hard and be accountable. What they want out of Wilson and everyone else is simple, your absolute best effort at all times. Welcome to the real world kid. Grow up.

kearly

Reaction score
I know in my heart this is a lazy comparison, but Marquess Wilson is starting to remind me of Randy Moss back in the '98 draft. Obviously with less potential, but the similarities are a little eery.

JSeahawks":2een524o said:
I read it like this. "Boohoo, my coaches yelled at me and expected me to bust my ass at all times. Waaaahhhhhh. :428226_SadEmoticon: "

I don't know about that. It's not like Wilson ever locked one of his players in a storage room to make a point. Or bring his players to press conferences to embarrass them. Or call them "zombies" or "lifeless corpses." Wilson is what he is, but if it's Wilson's word against Leach's, I'm probably leaning Wilson.

It pains me to say it, but WSU needs to fire Leach. He deserved to be fired for what he did at Tech and it looks like he's only doubled down since then. It's a shame, because he truly is a talented mind. Kind of like the Bobby Knight of football. Another lazy comparison.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Still believing that Craig James spewed bs kearly?

You obviously haven't watched the Cougs a lot if you think Wilson is anymore than a spoiled lazy little shit. And if you haven't watched them a lot, I don't blame you.

kearly

Reaction score
seahawk2k":1tpfz34r said:
Still believing that Craig James spewed bs kearly?

Shouldn't I?

As far as Wilson goes, he's very talented as a deep WR. He's a little like Mike Wallace in that he only does one thing well but he does it really, really well and it helps carry his overall game. I'd take him on UW in a heartbeat. The Seahawks would make good use of him too.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
No, you really shouldn't, but, ignorance is bliss, that whole story was blown up as essentially a farce.

I don't, nor have I ever, doubted Wilson's talent, but his attitude, the fact that he gives up on his routes, is lazy, and consistently shows up his quarterbacks, will get in the way of him being as good as he could be. When he wants to, he runs great routes, when he wants to, he makes great catches, its all about whether he wants it or not. Can't trust a guy like that.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Knowing what I know of Leach (which is quite a bit... I've never steered you guys wrong, and he is a BYU alum and was a graduate assistant here), then there is a lot more fire than smoke here.

There is no doubt in my mind that Wilson isn't the greatest in the attitude area, but I also know for a FACT that what he is saying here is 1000000% true about how the coach treats people. I know folks that have no reason to belittle Leach that have worked for and with him and will say the exact same things about him. Many have gone on to bigger and better jobs because they were part of Leach's program, so it isn't sour grapes and Leach hurt their value any, but they left not being able to stand the man. They felt that he was one of the worst human beings on earth.

I also know somebody that is a direct family member of Leach and they say the same things. He is a pretty big turd and has been for many years. He has manipulated himself into pretty much every position he's been in. He's misrepresented what he's actually done when looking for jobs, he's flat out lied during negotiations, he's claimed he was going to job interviews that didn't really exist in order to get his contract reworked, he's thrown everybody and their dog under the bus at some point.

Personally I've enjoyed his offense and what he's done, but could never get over the fact that the guy is a total POS. This isn't something new. This is like 20 years worth of stuff. Initially I just blew it off, but when you hear the same thing over and over from different sources that are not talking to each other or related in any way then you start to piece together the situation. The reason he lasted so long in Lubbock was because they were willing to overlook everything because they were winning. Eventually it got to a point where his backbiting, creepy behavior just came to a head and when they had an opportunity to fire the guy you notice they hopped on it in a hurry. They were still a good team. That tells you a lot. They just wanted him gone so desperately because he's a flat out dickhead. Sorry to say it... but it's true and anybody who knows the guy will agree with me. The guys who stick by him are doing it in the hopes of getting even a lateral movement job to somewhere else to get away from the guy, but they know that Leach is good enough at offensive design that he'll get some victories and then they'll get their chance to run far far away from him.

The only person I knew who could stand him was a bigger a-hole than Leach, which makes him the biggest a-hole on earth, and even he took a gig to get away from him (not even a lateral move... he took the same position and a significant paycut). This guy lost his job 100% for attitude problems, not performance. He was Leach Jr. and just couldn't get along with anybody, players in particular. He was more than a tyrant or a "hard-nosed" coach. He was just an ass.

So, take that from somebody who has watched Leach from close and afar for many many years and knows many people and have heard a great deal firsthand. Don't write Marquess Wilson off yet. I give him some kudos for stepping up and telling the truth from his viewpoint. Knowing what I know I believe him fully and find no benefit to him personally or professionally to say these things. They will undoubtedly make him look bad, as many of you have stated and pointed out. I have many reasons to believe him. Just trying to give the flipside of the coin.

kearly

Reaction score
seahawk2k":t5wqbo5h said:
No, you really shouldn't, but, ignorance is bliss, that whole story was blown up as essentially a farce.

Considering that James recently ran for a Republican senate primary, it should hardly be surprising that he'd tell a lie to get a result he wanted. (sorry, I couldn't resist). Thanks for the correction.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Sharkhard, all acceptable points, and I won't argue with them, as I have no basis to dispute them. But I'll point out that HIS players at Texas Tech loved him, he had high graduation rates and, from what I know, is a brutally honest person, which is why everyone thinks he's an asshole, because he tells the truth, which in this PC world, many people construe as him being an asshole. That Craig James situation was BS, that's what I know and have heard.

As a WSU alum and a guy who is closer than some and less closer than others to the goings on in the program, Wilson was a lazy entitled bitch before Leach showed up, he got away with it because the previous staff spoiled THEIR players and treated the previous players like garbage. Its funny that Leach is being accused of that behavior by the some of the players that benefited from that treatment from the previous staff. I'm going off what I know and what I've seen about Marquis Wilson. He's lazy and has coasted on his talent.

In my book, well, if I had a book, my opinion on Wilson was sealed after I watched him repeatedly dog it and stand there and show up his quarterback during the BYU game this year. As much as that assclown professed in that asinine statement that he loved his teammates, there is never an excuse to show up your quarterback like that, or what he did last week as well. There's no excuse for that, there's no excuse for refusing to run routes to the middle of the field the last couple years, and there's no excuse for giving the half assed effort he has given over the last three years. No excuse.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
No disagreement on the Craig James situation, or on the fact that Leach deserves a big load of cash from ESPN for how they handled that whole situation that was essentially their creation. I was 100% in Leach's corner on that one, and could tell it was just a steaming pile from day 1. James is an entitled punk and his dad is too. His dad was on the best team money could buy at SMU. The joke was that Craig James and Eric Dickerson had to take a paycut to go pro, and I only think it was a partial joke.

I don't think this is the same type of situation. I also don't think Leach's players loved him at Texas Tech as much as you'd think. They hoped that he'd get them into the NFL and was pretty good at doing that by showcasing them. But he used a lot of really questionable tactics in how he treated people. He's a worse version of Norm Chow. If you know anything about Chow, then you'll understand. He plays mind games with people. He's got a masters in psychology and messes with people's heads. Leach is significantly worse. Leach can coach. I'm not doubting that. He's not a bridge builder though. He's a spoiled child and a master manipulator. He is good at firing guys up, brainwashing them into buying into his "system" and so on and so forth... but he's also a pompous windbag and that act wears thin pretty quickly to people who have a good BS-o-meter.

He'll recruit the moldable and impressionable kids and probably do fairly well at Wazzu. It will take time though. He won't have anybody question him, whether it be coaches, players, friends, his children, opponents, etc. He's sort of a wackadoodle. You see he does well with guys that are pretty mentally weak like Michael Crabtree. Yeah, I said it and mean it. Crabtree is a typical baby that needs coddling, and you see he's got talent, but he's a guy that plays much better when he has somebody ordering him around and telling him what to do at every step of the way. Physically he's got talent, but mentally he doesn't seem to have that edge unless somebody forces it into him. He's one of those guys that fit well with Leach for the same reason that he seems to be a pretty good player under Harbaugh. Similar situations in my mind. Harbaugh is also a complete butthead and tyrant that plays head games with people.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
SharkHawk":2j52c2b5 said:
No disagreement on the Craig James situation, or on the fact that Leach deserves a big load of cash from ESPN for how they handled that whole situation that was essentially their creation. I was 100% in Leach's corner on that one, and could tell it was just a steaming pile from day 1. James is an entitled punk and his dad is too. His dad was on the best team money could buy at SMU. The joke was that Craig James and Eric Dickerson had to take a paycut to go pro, and I only think it was a partial joke.

I don't think this is the same type of situation. I also don't think Leach's players loved him at Texas Tech as much as you'd think. They hoped that he'd get them into the NFL and was pretty good at doing that by showcasing them. But he used a lot of really questionable tactics in how he treated people. He's a worse version of Norm Chow. If you know anything about Chow, then you'll understand. He plays mind games with people. He's got a masters in psychology and messes with people's heads. Leach is significantly worse. Leach can coach. I'm not doubting that. He's not a bridge builder though. He's a spoiled child and a master manipulator. He is good at firing guys up, brainwashing them into buying into his "system" and so on and so forth... but he's also a pompous windbag and that act wears thin pretty quickly to people who have a good BS-o-meter.

He'll recruit the moldable and impressionable kids and probably do fairly well at Wazzu. It will take time though. He won't have anybody question him, whether it be coaches, players, friends, his children, opponents, etc. He's sort of a wackadoodle. You see he does well with guys that are pretty mentally weak like Michael Crabtree. Yeah, I said it and mean it. Crabtree is a typical baby that needs coddling, and you see he's got talent, but he's a guy that plays much better when he has somebody ordering him around and telling him what to do at every step of the way. Physically he's got talent, but mentally he doesn't seem to have that edge unless somebody forces it into him. He's one of those guys that fit well with Leach for the same reason that he seems to be a pretty good player under Harbaugh. Similar situations in my mind. Harbaugh is also a complete butthead and tyrant that plays head games with people.

Soooo, what you're saying is that Leach gets the most out of those players by making them work.....? And that's a problem?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
No.... I'm saying first and foremost that Leach is a complete asshole. Let's just make that clear. He is the bully on the playground that nobody likes and maybe pretends to like if they feel he can benefit them, but will run away from him as fast as possible. He's got a real complex about the fact that he never played sports, so he acts like a douche to everybody to try to compensate for the fact that he was a terrible athlete and likes to think of himself as some sort of genius like the bad guys in Bond movies. Leach used to sneak into practices at BYU and basically lied his way into a graduate coaching position with Lavell Edwards, but meanwhile is stabbing anyone and everyone in the back the entire time.

My point on the players, was that he isn't a coach that has the ability to take a guy with even the slightest bit of attitude or questioning of him to do well. He has no people skills really. So instead of being able to take a group of diverse individuals and lead them to wins, he instead needs a bunch of drones. It's the sad truth. Pete Carroll has shown a knack for being able to take guys from every walk of life and attitude and relate to them. Leach can't do that. He treats people like shit. Pete gets blasted for his "rah rah" routine, but he knows each player and what each player needs to succeed. Leach doesn't care. He forces all players into his mold or they are gone. It has worked in the win-loss department I guess, but he has burned every single bridge he's ever had. There's a reason that when he got jobbed at Tech that nobody came calling.... because nobody would speak up on his behalf. Sad but true.

So if you want a coach that will run a gimmick and win a few and then will take off at his first opportunity or use your school and milk the boosters by faking job interviews with high profile programs then good luck. I wouldn't hire the guy at this point if my life depended on it, even if I knew he was going to win me a conference title within 3 years. He's just that off-putting. I've tried to be nice about him before this post. I'm still only at 50%. Knowing him he'll probably file a lawsuit against me for this post. Watch what happens at Wazzu. He'll crash and burn and come out of it with a nice pocket full of cash and a gutted program and with nothing but a bunch of harsh feelings. The guy is a borderline sociopath.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think most big time successful college coaches are assholes.

Saban. Yes.
Kelly. I love him, but fans of other teams think so.
Urban Meyer. Yep.
Lane Kiffin... hahahaha, oops, i just called Lane Kiffin a big time successful college coach.

Throwdown

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3s0gauvc said:
I think most big time successful college coaches are assholes.

Saban. Yes.
Kelly. I love him, but fans of other teams think so.
Urban Meyer. Yep.
Lane Kiffin... hahahaha, oops, i just called Lane Kiffin a big time successful college coach.

I think what was said was, he's really not an asshole, but is actually insane.

Dude wouldn't of lasted at UW even after the Tyrone Willingham era and I'm absolutely confident about that. I don't know if this has a good ending for Wazzu with Leach, something seems off with that marriage.

justafan

Reaction score
Every new coach needs his players to buy in 100% and chase off the players who won't.You need 1 plan and everybody following it.Even if its not the best plan it has to be 1 plan.Call them mindless or drones but almost every football player and every team needs detailed structure and discipline to be as good as they can be and to succeed as a team.Very few people want to do the things it takes to be successful especially when they are 18 or 19 but they need someone to kick them in the ass to make them do it.
Everybody should have expected Leach to come in and cut the dead wood and open up spots for his kind of players.Right or wrong it will open up scholarships and speed up the rebuild.
The players that get pissed and leave are the ones that were happy with 3 or 4 wins.
Leach probably is a dick but seems like there are some gossip columnist feel to some posts here.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Let me be clear about one thing.... Marquess Wilson isn't clear of fault here. He is certainly a spoiled, lazy, prima donna. But that doesn't change the fact that Leach is a wackjob. The two aren't mutually exclusive, or even related. They are entirely separate situations. I'm just saying that Wilson's attitude made it easy for him to "out" coach Leach. Don't disregard what Marquess said just because of his reputation. I think in this case he's on the money, and shouldn't be ignored just because he happens to be a fool. In fact, I think this is a case of "it takes one to know one."

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Sharkhark, if he is the kind of guy that leaves at first opportunity then why the decade at Texas Tech? Or does that not fit with your narrative? He's eccentric, and a little insane, but it seems like some of your accusations are bordering on hyperbole. A lot of coaching and teaching, at any level, is manipulating behavior, if Leach is manipulating their behavior, in whatever manner, to teach those guys to be disciplined, play hard all the time and be accountable, does the end justify the means?

Btw, link to the truth about the Craig James thing,

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/craig-jam ... logy-29972

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Quote from 4 star WR Sebastian LaRue who was visiting WSU this weekend:

Just prior to his visit, there was a bit of controversy when star receiver Marques Wilson quit the team saying some not so flattering remarks about Mike Leach.

“I talked to the players on the team and they all love Coach Leach,” Larue said. “They said the Wilson incident was strictly all on him and he made the decision to walk off the team because he didn’t want to put in the work. That whole episode won’t play a role for me at all, I like Coach Leach and I don’t think he would be hard to play for."

http://washingtonstate.scout.com/2/1239224.html