The Apple Cup

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I know there are plenty of UW fans here. Is there not a single WSU alum or fan here willing to step out and talk a little smack or predict the upset?

I'm guessing it will be close for the first quarter but UW should pull away and win fairly big. I'll say 42-13.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Q: What do you call a good looking girl on the University of Washington campus?
A: A visitor.

No smack to talk this year, huskies have a good squad. I'm just hoping for a good, close game. I root for UW 11 games a year so I'm the wrong guy to start smack. Got plenty of bad jokes though.

Throwdown

Reaction score
-shrug-

Apple Cup has lost is allure over the years after Willingham and the crap WSU has gone through. I'm sure in the future these games will be fun like they were in the 90's to early 00's. But right now its all about a Washington program rising from the ashes that are left from Willingham, Gilbertson, ect... WSU is going to be fine once they get Leach's vision in place.

But this weekend I'll predict an ass whooping because WSU looks, i dunno how to describe it.

Huskies: 36
Cougs: 17

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
No one takes WSU seriously. They're the high school tag-along little brother you have to bring to the party because the parents are out of town and you can't leave him home alone. Sure you can embarrass him, strut around, and talk shit, but what's the point? He's not in the same league so picking on him is just pathetic.

UW is the measuring stick against which WSU will compare itself in perpetuity. Without UW WSU has no identity.

kearly

Reaction score
Well, at least WSU fans get excited for the Apple Cup. So there's that. Every time I watch the game at Big Al's it's 80% WSU fans even though this is western Washington, probably because of there being a WSU campus here. I guess. Anyway they are the loudest most obnoxious fans. In a good way, though still it's kind of painful watching a game around them. They FREAK OUT if WSU shows even the smallest signs of hope.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":2vparjgg said:
Well, at least WSU fans get excited for the Apple Cup. So there's that. Every time I watch the game at Big Al's it's 80% WSU fans even though this is western Washington, probably because of there being a WSU campus here. I guess. Anyway they are the loudest most obnoxious fans. In a good way, though still it's kind of painful watching a game around them. They FREAK OUT if WSU shows even the smallest signs of hope.

Sounds similar to the Civil War. For Oregon State fans it means everything. They (most of them) seem to hate the Ducks more then they love their own team. I had a friend who was at the Beavers game the other night and they said the loudest cheer of the game is when they showed the Oregon final score on the big screen. Meanwhile, the Ducks consider the Huskies and Trojans as our main rivals, and don't really care too much about the Beavers.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think as Husky fans it's a matter of pride, beating a dead horse or umm cougar isn't a bad thing, kick um here kick um there. It's just you don't brag about beating up someone that has their hands tied behind their back and is bound and gagged.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
There are a lot of WSU fans that hate UW more than they love WSU. It's kind of disgusting, but, if you want one of the reasons why the program has never excelled, that's one of them. Too many WSU fans are in love with the lovable loser "Aw shucks we tried our best" kind of thing, I've always hated it. Hence the cultural battle between the fan base over Wulff getting replaced by Leach a year ago.

An example of this, 2011 I go over there for the opener against Idaho State, WSU is just killing Idaho State, and you'd think that the crowd would be loving it, they'd won 5 games combined the last three years. At halftime, I go to one of the bars for some alcoholic refreshment, and the bar is packed, absolutely packed, is the Coug game on? No, its UW, and the crowd is going nuts with every first down Eastern Washington got in that game. The second half of WSU's demolition of Idaho State is conducted in a symphony of silence, the stadium is maybe a third full, but the bars are packed, grown men, standing on chairs cheering as Eastern pushes UW to the final seconds. I questioned these people, loudly, angrily, and condescendingly, when asked, "Why aren't you watching YOUR team WIN, instead of watching UW hoping they lose?" I got shrugged, wall shaking chants deriding the Huskies.

I don't get it and I never have.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The Cougs already Couging it. What the hell is that QB thinking sliding 2 yards short of a 3rd down when if he puts his head down he probably gets it?
Then should have punted and played the field position game, imo.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Typical Huskies first half. Penalties, KP ineffective, good but not great defense.

pinksheets

Reaction score
When Keith Price makes a run like that and doesn't slide, Cougars need to be taking his damn head off.

Latest posts