Could we trade up for Jarvis Jones?

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
I know his history with Pete isn't great, and he's more of a 3-4 fit, but seeing as he is an outstanding pass rusher from OLB and we run a 43/34 hybrid anyway, he's an intriguing prospect. I see him as a Von Miller type player who, interestingly enough, got drafted into a 43 defense in Denver.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
No, Pete had him at USC in college, and when he found about his spinal stenosis, he wouldn't let him play. He still has that, so I doubt Pete is gonna trade up for him now.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I don't think JS likes to trade up. Against his tiger blood. I think if anything he will trade down.

skater18000

Reaction score
What's wrong with Bruce? We already have difficulties finding ways to get #51 on the field let alone a replica

polarbill1999

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions.

Does Bruce have the ability to play a hybrid OLB/DE or is he a one trick pony that is a straight hand in the ground DE(undersized)?

If Bruce is a one trick pony does he have the ability to add 10-15 pounds to where he could play Strong Side DE in passing situations?

My suspicion is that while Bruce has elite straight line speed he doesn't have the agility, awareness, instincts to play as an OLB some in addition to DE. If this is the case then will Bruce only ever be a situational pass rusher? I don't necessarily feel that is bad thing because a situational pass rusher who can get us 10+ sacks a year is still a very valuable player. If Bruce can put on 10+ pounds of muscle I could see him rotating with Red depending on situation. At that point we need a true 4 down LEO/Elephant to replace Clemons(I would like to see Clemons work load cut back to extend his career or possible even trade him if we find the right Elephant replacement). I would really like to see someone that is good at rushing the passer but can also play off the line of scrimmage. This can allow that player to stay on the field all downs as well as make it even harder to defend as that player could drop in coverage or rush the passer. More looks=more confusion for the opposing offense.

Looking at cbssports.com I see some good candidates for this type of player. I would like to see someone at least 6'3" and at least 235-240. Here are some guys I see that are listed at OLB that seem to have the ability to rush the passer.

Jarvis Jones-only 6'2" but pretty stout and has both tackle numbers and sack numbers
Barkevious Mingo-not sure if he has much OLB ability but he is big and fast and a good pass rusher I believe.
Chase Thomas-Great size at 6'4 248. Seems like a well rounded player who could rush the passer and play effective at LB.
Anthony Barr-This kid is a little light for being 6'4" right now but would but would be perfect. Sounds like he might stay another year though.
Brandon Jenkins-At 6'3" 260 he is a beast and a very good pass rusher. Not sure his ability to play OLB. Aparently he is an injury concern.
Jamie Collins-6'3" 240 and productive as a pass rusher.
Travis Long-6'4" 245. I really like Long. He was by far the best defensive player on a terrible defense and according to cbs he is a 4th rounder. I think he would be a steal as a 4th rounder. He has been very productive as a pass rusher and can play OLB I believe.

I think I would take Long in the 4th over any of those other guys where they are graded by CBS.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
Also, I feel like Bruce might be kind of like Josh Shirley for UW. Both are good pass rushers but kind of one trick ponies. Both are undersized DE's who are huge risks against the run but also don't have the ability to play as a hand off the ground OLB. They are basically situational pass rushing DE's. That isn't necessarily a bad thing as someone who can come in on 2nd and 3rd and long and produce 10+ sacks is a very nice luxury to have.

Basis4day

Reaction score
polarbill1999":1j7scg37 said:
I have a couple of questions.

Does Bruce have the ability to play a hybrid OLB/DE or is he a one trick pony that is a straight hand in the ground DE(undersized)?

If Bruce is a one trick pony does he have the ability to add 10-15 pounds to where he could play Strong Side DE in passing situations?

My suspicion is that while Bruce has elite straight line speed he doesn't have the agility, awareness, instincts to play as an OLB some in addition to DE. If this is the case then will Bruce only ever be a situational pass rusher? I don't necessarily feel that is bad thing because a situational pass rusher who can get us 10+ sacks a year is still a very valuable player. If Bruce can put on 10+ pounds of muscle I could see him rotating with Red depending on situation. At that point we need a true 4 down LEO/Elephant to replace Clemons(I would like to see Clemons work load cut back to extend his career or possible even trade him if we find the right Elephant replacement). I would really like to see someone that is good at rushing the passer but can also play off the line of scrimmage. This can allow that player to stay on the field all downs as well as make it even harder to defend as that player could drop in coverage or rush the passer. More looks=more confusion for the opposing offense.

Looking at cbssports.com I see some good candidates for this type of player. I would like to see someone at least 6'3" and at least 235-240. Here are some guys I see that are listed at OLB that seem to have the ability to rush the passer.

Jarvis Jones-only 6'2" but pretty stout and has both tackle numbers and sack numbers
Barkevious Mingo-not sure if he has much OLB ability but he is big and fast and a good pass rusher I believe.
Chase Thomas-Great size at 6'4 248. Seems like a well rounded player who could rush the passer and play effective at LB.
Anthony Barr-This kid is a little light for being 6'4" right now but would but would be perfect. Sounds like he might stay another year though.
Brandon Jenkins-At 6'3" 260 he is a beast and a very good pass rusher. Not sure his ability to play OLB. Aparently he is an injury concern.
Jamie Collins-6'3" 240 and productive as a pass rusher.
Travis Long-6'4" 245. I really like Long. He was by far the best defensive player on a terrible defense and according to cbs he is a 4th rounder. I think he would be a steal as a 4th rounder. He has been very productive as a pass rusher and can play OLB I believe.

I think I would take Long in the 4th over any of those other guys where they are graded by CBS.

Pete is on the record that he drafted Irvin to eventually be the Leo.

Rat

Reaction score
GeorgeKush":1l22tw4n said:
do not touch. look what happened to marcus mcneill with his spinal stenosis.
Doesn't Rob Gronkowski have that too? I might be imagining that, but I could have sworn he did have spinal stenosis, or something comparable.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Rat":3f2ntm70 said:
GeorgeKush":3f2ntm70 said:
do not touch. look what happened to marcus mcneill with his spinal stenosis.
Doesn't Rob Gronkowski have that too? I might be imagining that, but I could have sworn he did have spinal stenosis, or something comparable.
There was a lot of talk that he did at least, not sure if it was ever confirmed or if it really can be.

zayden185

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1ee4z0lw said:
No, Pete had him at USC in college, and when he found about his spinal stenosis, he wouldn't let him play. He still has that, so I doubt Pete is gonna trade up for him now.

Doctors wouldn't let him play...not pete

And for those reasons he may slip...past the first round for that matter

That's a first round pick. Like bowers. He was top 10 pluck before injury concerns