Favorite NFL Draft Pick Cliche's

SEC FAN

Reaction score
Just sitting here watching the Vegas Bowl and I was thinking what are the most generic NFL Draft Pick comments you here out of the Mel Kipers, Todd McShays, etc?

Instinctive
Fast Riser
Value Pick
High Motor
Film Junky
Student of the Game
Character Issues
Combine Wonder
Downhill Runner
Football Smarts
Intangibles
One Year Wonder
Road Grader

Now with this bakers dozen of cliche comments you can act like you know something about every player in the draft.

Example: Hey bro did you hear about Donald Onkeypunch has declared for the NFL Draft?......Yeah man. I love him. We should totally draft him. Dudes got a high motor, downhill runner, instinctive, awesome intangibles, and we could get him late since he's a one year wonder and he'd be such a value pick. My only problem with him is his character issues and he's not much of a film junky from what I hear.

Anyone got anymore cliche's?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
You already mentioned it but my favorite is "high motor" for basically every white defensive linemen ever drafted.

One that you didnt mention: "he's like a basketball gym rat" usually when discussion white WR's.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
My favorite is "good bubble". There is also body bad, waist bender, violent hands, good frame, and west coast QB.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I hate 'high floor.' First off, there are no guarantees in the draft (thank you Aaron Curry) and any pundit using the description is just blowing hot air. I want a good player. I could care less about some make-believe floor.

kearly

Reaction score
Most of these aren't cliches, they're colorful adjectives. My dad is an engineer and he often forgets to speak in plain English when talking about work. A lot of these adjectives are really attempts at explaining a complex idea in a few words without being overly confusing to the uninitiated.

Scouting is both subjective and science all at once. Describing a complex internal scouting process in a few words is basically like trying to recreate the Sistine Chapel with a box of crayons. That lends itself to statements that at times can seem broad brush.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
"he's football smart"
" high IQ"
"Workhorse"
"Has a lot of upside"
"Seahawks reached once again"

NYCoug

Reaction score
Excellent thread! I absolutely LOVE all of these and have for some time now. Some of my favorites have already been covered but I'll add

"Wide base"
"Loose in the hips"
"Light in the ass"
"Coach on the field" (reserved for white DB or receiver with limited upside in college)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
And when I watch prospects this winter and spring, I an going to use cliches all damn day.

Latest posts