Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford and my first 4 round wish list

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Woudl look great in blue and green as a 3rd or 4th round pick. I dont know all of his measurables but the kid is just a stud, an animal and a great football player. Would make a great back up to Wagner and a great special teamer.

1. DeAndre Hopkins, WR Clemson
2. Will Sutton, DT/DE Arizona State
3. Kiko Alonzo LB, Oregon
4. Shayne Skov, LB Stanford

And a few o'linemen in free agency.

kearly

Reaction score
I like Skov but based on how fast he looks on the field I'd guess that he will probably run around 4.7, maybe 4.6 tops. All the LBs Pete has acquired since coming here have been very fast, so something tells me he won't be on Seattle's board barring a surprise combine performance.

Can you tell us more about why you like Alonzo? Just Duck homerism or do you think he's a great fit? If you are drafting him in the 3rd round, you might as well pencil him in as the starter so he'd need to be a great fit.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":10h5eu04 said:
Can you tell us more about why you like Alonzo? Just Duck homerism or do you think he's a great fit? If you are drafting him in the 3rd round, you might as well pencil him in as the starter so he'd need to be a great fit.

Well, I dont really watch football as a scout and try to look at all their strengths and weaknesses and how they'd fit. I just know that he's a great football player who makes a ton of plays. And he, more then Skov, fits the athletic profile that you mention Pete looks for in his players.

So I cant give you a good reason, and I dont think its my Duck homerism (i try to be fair when judging talent... i want no part of Kenjon Barner for instance), i just think he's going to be a hell of a football player for somebody in the NFL, so it might as well be us. I can imagine him stepping into Leroy Hill's spot.

Oregon's defense is fairly similar to the Seahawks though if you think about it. They play a 4-3 with a lot of 3-4 tendencies. Dion Jordans drop end position is a lot like our Leo position, although in the Oregon system he does more dropping into coverage.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd be really intrigued by Dion Jordan at WLB. Remember that our GM and coach love LBs with long arms, and they need their LBs to be fast. Jordan might run a 4.4 at the combine, and if moved to LB he would probably have the longest wingspan of any LB in the NFL by a large margin. He also really impressed me a lot in press coverage. He looked Browner-like at it. While I don't buy Jordan as an NFL DE (too stiff, all he can do is rush the edge), he does have special potential as a blitzer. And while Jordan didn't play LB at Oregon, Kelly moved him around a lot and Jordan showed that he could make a difference when dropping back into the 2nd level. Honestly, would not be shocked if PC/JS had him rated insanely high at LB.

I did a little research on Alonso (spelled with an "s" it turns out).

He didn't look very fast in the clips I saw of him. Similar speed to Skov- he'll probably run in the 4.6 to 4.7 range. NFL draft scout (Rob Rang's site?) estimates he'll run between 4.62 and 4.86.

I liked what I saw though. He's got NFL size/bulk and is a good instinctive player. Not hard at all to see him being a good player in the NFL. Most teams don't value speed at LB as much as Pete does- so I think Alonso has a very good chance to leave the board in round 2. He just doesn't look fast enough for Pete though.