Kiper's first mock

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Kiper likes him?

Pass.

/obligatory Aaron Curry 'sure thing' reference, Russell Wilson dismissal

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Not all bad but some teams are taking a QB, they have too and I don't care who says otherwise. Someone will reach for a Glennon just like the Vikings reached for Ponder.

Jenkins doesn't really fit us, he would be a great pick for a team like the Steelers but a waste for us unless we want more 2-gap DT. We need DE's and 3rd down rush tackles with length and speed, Jenkins isn't one of those.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3pj09l93 said:
Well, from what I can gather, Jenkins is just a big fat body that will draw doubles and stuff the run. Doesn't really seem like a fit.

I actually think this may be just the type of player the Hawks will go after. A huge D-lineman who will eat up bodies. Not sure they will do it in the first round, but definitely could see it. Our run D was NOT good this year. Branch, Red, Mebane, and McDonald were getting run over in the last half of the year, especially. We ranked in the 20's for run defense. That is not acceptable for a Carroll Defense.

We need a good run stuffer who can absolutely clog the middle. Branch is not this type of player, Red is not this type of player, McDonald is not this type of player, mebane is not this type of player. Jenkins could be the guy who stuffs the run up the middle and allows these other D-linemen to make some plays.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3bqjbich said:
Well, from what I can gather, Jenkins is just a big fat body that will draw doubles and stuff the run. Doesn't really seem like a fit.

So Colin Cole 2.0?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Kiper will NEVER hit on a draft pick that Pete Carroll/John Schneider actually want, especially in the early rounds.

His mind just cannot wrap itself around our out-of-the-box philosophy.

kearly

Reaction score
I wonder what his reasoning was. Jenkins is 351 pounds. Pretty clearly, he's a run stopper only. Mebane is doing a bang up job and Seattle can retain Branch easily if they choose. I'm all for thinking about life after Red Bryant, but Jenkins wouldn't really make a lot of sense as a 5-tech.

Seems like Kiper failed to do his homework.

And no QBs in the top 3? Right...

OP
OP
Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":8grrlxre said:
I wonder what his reasoning was. Jenkins is 351 pounds. Pretty clearly, he's a run stopper only. Mebane is doing a bang up job and Seattle can retain Branch easily if they choose. I'm all for thinking about life after Red Bryant, but Jenkins wouldn't really make a lot of sense as a 5-tech.

His reasoning is that Seattle needs a defensive tackle. Therefore he saw a player with DT next to his name that he rated well and put the name down and moved on. Scheme fit, meme spit.

Subzero717

Reaction score
kearly":boeijrcv said:

Did I not read it right? I didn't see any QB's. Maybe I missed something. There is an increasing number of draft talking heads with Barkley out of the first however, which I don't know if I can imagine. Although the word of a "brawl" after SC's bowl game due to younger players questioning his leadership may indicate something too.

lukerguy

Reaction score
kearly":2afrl13o said:

I saw another article on Kiper's mock and thought the exact same thing. Initially it makes sense from the logic, "Seattle struggled to stop the run, and Jenkins is the biggest run stopper in the draft". However, as you mentioned Kearly, basically all this pick does is replace Branch's technique IMO. You don't draft a NT to be a 5 tech...soo really all this pick does is leave us about the same position as it would if we were to just re-sign Branch (which he said he wanted to do already).

I think what it boils down to is if you go DT, you go with a guy to replace Branch on passing downs- not on the roster.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
ESPN's draft service included Todd McShay describing Whitney Mercilus as a 360lbs nose tackle last year shortly after the end of the college season. It included a full break down of his skills as a massive nose tackle too. Which either means McShay doesn't write up everything that he lends his name to, that he doesn't scout every player he passes comment on or the whoever wrote that piece doesn't watch much college football.

I'm surprised they got away with it so lightly.

This is just a classic case of filling a need with 'any' defensive tackle. We do not need a big nose tackle who doesn't pass rush.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":1xmhq22u said:

Not entirely out of the question IMO kearly. This might sound crazy, but I can see KC trading for Nick Foles - who I don't think fits Chip Kelly's scheme whatsoever.

Then who knows, maybe the Jags trade a low pick for Flynn .. and even if they don't.. two high 1st round picks spent on QB's in the last 3 years? I don't see that .. and the Raiders need to go D in a bad bad way. They won't go QB at 3.

No QB's going in the first 3 picks isn't too far fetched this offseason IMO.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2u4mmuq1 said:
peachesenregalia":2u4mmuq1 said:

So Colin Cole 2.0?

Cole didn't draw doubles.

Chawker

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":rhk26era said:

I thought Kwame Geathers got more doulbe teams then Jenkins, leading to the success he had this season. One on one Geathers can push the pocket better then any other DT in this draft. Geathers will excell at the next level. As far as Kiper..... nice hair.

HUGGY

Reaction score
kearly":1wiq74kv said:

Seems Jenkins failed to do HIS homework... LOL

ivotuk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3npx53st said:
ESPN's draft service included Todd McShay describing Whitney Mercilus as a 360lbs nose tackle last year shortly after the end of the college season. It included a full break down of his skills as a massive nose tackle too. Which either means McShay doesn't write up everything that he lends his name to, that he doesn't scout every player he passes comment on or the whoever wrote that piece doesn't watch much college football..

All of the Above. McShay is a pretty boy who knows a little about football. Figurehead for the guys who work for him and do the real work. But they aren't very good either. I've watched their little videos and read their tweets/articles and it's always as if they glossed over the player, read somebody else's report then regurgitated it with a few changes here and there. Zero originality.