Your 2013 First round wish list

lukerguy

Reaction score
It's no secret that we need some help rushing the passer, nickel corner, WR, and LB (who can preferably help rush the passer)....Initially who are some guys you are hoping for around our 1st pick spot?

The guy I really want is Alec Ogletree. I see him solidifying our run game while being able to get to the passer from the SLB position. Here's my current top 5:

1)Alec Ogletree LB Georgia
2) Kawann Short DT Pur (7.0 sacks as a DT)
3) Justin Hunter/Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tenn (both special)
4) Sheldon Richardson DT Miz
5) M. Elam (move Chancellor to LB) S Florida

Man Star Lotulelei is ridiculous- I know he's not going to make it out of the top 10 but man, the kid is dominant & exactly what we need.

skater18000

Reaction score
lukerguy":16j55skw said:
It's no secret that we need some help rushing the passer, nickel corner, WR, and LB (who can preferably help rush the passer)....Initially who are some guys you are hoping for around our 1st pick spot?

The guy I really want is Alec Ogletree. I see him solidifying our run game while being able to get to the passer from the SLB position. Here's my current top 5:

Man Star Lotulelei is ridiculous- I know he's not going to make it out of the top 10 but man, the kid is dominant & exactly what we need.

Don't you just wish we could have them all...

kearly

Reaction score
Assuming the stud DL are off the board (Werner, Jones, Richardson, etc):

1... Ezekiel Ansah

2... Zach Ertz

3... DeAndre Hopkins

4... Arthur Brown

5... Alec Ogletree

I'd only draft Ansah if this means he replaces Red Bryant. I think he could be a stellar 5-tech. As a 3-tech, he'd be Jason Jones caliber. If Carroll insists on keeping Bryant as a starter, then Ansah drops to 5th on the list. I grade Hopkins ahead of Ertz but Ertz would see the field more than Hopkins would. Ertz is going to be a sub-elite TE. Hopkins is the next Roddy White. I grade Ogletree over Brown but Brown is a better fit for what Seattle is looking for at WLB. A lack of speedy LBs pushes the position into strong early consideration.

kearly

Reaction score
lukerguy":13mkdne8 said:

Elam's tape and measurables look 2nd or 3rd roundish to me. If he goes in the first it's more an indictment of this safety class. Not sure he fits Seattle's size requirement for an in the box strong safety, but maybe Seattle wants to upgrade on Chancellor's coverage ability. This pick would really surprise me.

Richardson won't make it, but if he slides a little he could be a trade up target.

Short is a good player, but will be a 1-tech in the NFL, 1-tech skillset with sacks- similar to Mebane when he came out. If drafted by us and put next to Mebane, it would look a whole lot like Branch + Mebane the last two years. That's not a bad thing, but I think Seattle wants more from the pass rush than that.

Not a huge fan of Hunter (as a 1st round pick) and Patterson almost seems like the exact opposite of what Seattle is looking for at WR (he's very talented though). Seattle needs a route running wizard that can work himself open. Patterson is the least polished WR that will be drafted in the first several rounds.

Ogletree has great game tape some weeks and bad tape other weeks. Good potential as a pass rusher, looks like a high upside player physically, and is Chancellor-esque as a tackler. Looks lost in zone coverage though, and can be pushed around by blockers a bit. Makes a lot of mental mistakes. Not sure he fits what Seattle wants at WLB, though Carroll might think he can coach Ogletree up. Really a damn shame Seattle couldn't get both Wagner and David last year. Looks like a weak year for LBs in 2013 draft. I would take Lavonte David the prospect over any traditional 4-3 LB in this draft hands down.

GCrow

Reaction score
If were staying at 25, any interior pass rushers here aren't all that intriguing and I hope we look more to free agency to solve the issue to get us someone who will have more of an immediate impact. FWIW like everyone else my two dream picks would be Richardson or Ansah but gonna assume their off the board.

1A - Deandre Hopkins
1B - Zach Ertz. Literally a toss up between the two as I think they would both be tremendous additions and would be great here. Then (obvs depending on how the draft goes) there is quite the drop off of who i'm liking atm.

2 - Jonathon Cooper

3 - Alec Ogletree

4 - Shariff Floyd

5 - Sam Montgomery - Not all that keen on this but am SLOWLY starting to get on board
*Wildcard - Manti Te'o, just a real high character guy!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
1) Ezekiel Ansah (if we can end the Red Bryant experiment)
2) Cordarrelle Patterson
3) Deandre Hopkins
4) Zach Ertz

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
You guys are crazy about this Ezekiel Ansah pick- it shows terrible understanding of what our needs are.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
lukerguy":3v6j1ykh said:
You guys are crazy about this Ezekiel Ansah pick- it shows terrible understanding of what our needs are.

You must feel that John Schneider and Pete Carroll don't understand what the needs of the team are either then. They both specifically said this team needs pass rushers. :141847_bnono:

mistaowen

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1kts26wr said:
lukerguy":1kts26wr said:

You must feel that John Schneider and Pete Carroll don't understand what the needs of the team are either then. They both specifically said this team needs pass rushers. :141847_bnono:

RIGHT! We need to draft corner backs in rounds 1-3. Then a new fullback.

Ansah will be a great pick for us at 25 if we can ditch the Red Bryant strategy. Even when he wasn't hurt he didn't do much besides show how obvious our run stopping packages were. If we can have a base four man front while getting Bruce Irvin out there for pass pressure, we will be in a lot better shape.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Ansah had 4.5 sacks as a DE...Yeah, that's a real pass rush? Also, we need pass rush in the INTERIOR. Ansah got eaten up on the interior against non NFL competition. We have a shot at the SB next year, you don't draft a project who may or may not be great in 2 or 3 years.

How can you say that I feel that JS and PC don't understand our needs 3 of my top 5 are designed to increase our pass rush (Ogletree, and two elite pass rushing DTs)

If you draft a DE when are you going to rush him? If so you sit a guy we are paying 6M to in Clem or last year's 1st round pick that we are invested in. This is why I said you lack understanding. There are really only three other spots we can increase our pass rush from:
1) our inside DT technique (A la Jason Jones).
2) Sam LB position (Ogletree)
3) our other DT technique (mebane)

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
lukerguy":mxgtk56p said:
Ansah had 4.5 sacks as a DE.
Jason Pierre-Paul had 6.5 sacks in his final college year. Would you take Jason Pierre-Paul on the hawks? Its about projecting players to the NFL.

In addition to that.....You said those saying Ansah don't understand the "NEEDS" of the hawks. Thats not true. You don't like Ansah, but he or someone who would play that same role would address a "NEED". Your real response should have been that you do not like Ansah, not "you guys don't know anything about hawk needs".

If you draft a DE when are you going to rush him? If so you sit a guy we are paying 6M to in Clem or last year's 1st round pick that we are invested in. This is why I said you lack understanding. There are really only three other spots we can increase our pass rush from:

Do you understand where Red Bryant plays? Kearly, mistaowen, and I are the only people in this thread saying Ansah. We both said "1) Ezekiel Ansah (if we can end the Red Bryant experiment)" I think your problem may be you are skimming the posts versus actually reading them. Seems there is a disconnect somewhere.

Double :141847_bnono:

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I'm not really feeling Ansah either, his age and rawness being another factor when we already have a Irvin who is older. If I was more confident Ansah could come in and create pressure/rotate with Red on running downs as well as nickel/pass rush packages then I would be down. If you think he can do that and contribute immediately then go for it. Most of the players we have a chance on are going to be very raw along the defensive line I think, unfortunately.

Richardson falling to us would be best, my 5 would be.

1. Richarson, Damontre Moore, or Mingo. (Richardson - not gonna happen but a guy can dream, Moore - not gonna happen but would be perfect in the Clemons role I think, Mingo - possibly available at 25 and could play Clemons spot I think.)
2. Hopkins - Polished outside receiver can lineup anywhere and have an impact.
3. Ertz - Become a 2 TE juggernaut, run or pass in TE sets with Miller but can also get down field as a deep threat for Wilson.
4. Dion Jordan (assuming they think he could play OLB and cover TE)
5. Jonathan Banks (Worst case scenario, still a good pickup to add to the secondary)

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
1. Sheldon Richardson (nearly impossible he makes it to 25)
2. DeAndre Hopkins > Cordarelle Patterson
3. Dion Jordan
4. Sam Montgomery
5. Zach Ertz > Tyler Eifert

(You do all realize that the player that we select has not yet, and never will be named in this thread right?)

12th_Bob

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":73lr2bph said:
1. Sheldon Richardson (nearly impossible he makes it to 25)
2. DeAndre Hopkins > Cordarelle Patterson
3. Dion Jordan
4. Sam Montgomery
5. Zach Ertz > Tyler Eifert

(You do all realize that the player that we select has not yet, and never will be named in this thread right?)

Totally, draft is a long ways away so this is going to change a whole lot.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":36q7ygpy said:
lukerguy":36q7ygpy said:
Ansah had 4.5 sacks as a DE.
Jason Pierre-Paul had 6.5 sacks in his final college year. Would you take Jason Pierre-Paul on the hawks? Its about projecting players to the NFL.

In addition to that.....You said those saying Ansah don't understand the "NEEDS" of the hawks. Thats not true. You don't like Ansah, but he or someone who would play that same role would address a "NEED". Your real response should have been that you do not like Ansah, not "you guys don't know anything about hawk needs".

Do you understand where Red Bryant plays? Kearly, mistaowen, and I are the only people in this thread saying Ansah. We both said "1) Ezekiel Ansah (if we can end the Red Bryant experiment)" I think your problem may be you are skimming the posts versus actually reading them. Seems there is a disconnect somewhere.

Double :141847_bnono:

I truly don't think you understand our needs, it's not that I don't like Ansah...

Red Bryant is our Elephant, he plays our DE position on early down, which we swap him for Irvin on passing downs. We also have two DT, Branch and Mebane who play on early downs as well. Our top 4 man pass rush included clem, mebane, Jones, and Irvin...that's who would normally be in on say 3rd and 8...

My problem with Ansah is that you are giving up on Bryant...He had one bad year, and was surely injured. Why would you give up on a guy you just committed to long term, when there are much greater team needs? If you draft Ansah, you're drafting him to be another pass rush specialty on 3rd down in the Jason Jones technique model? That's not his strength, and nor is it Pierre Paul.

I'm floored that you guys would want to end the Red Bryant experiment...he's what made our offense tick in 2011...He's our team leader on D, and he clearly wasn't right. So you would rather give up on a guy who's showed the potential he had in 2011, and pick his replacement when there are about 4 other spots that we need much more? SMH

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
lukerguy":1uyh5vxm said:
I truly don't think you understand our needs, it's not that I don't like Ansah...

Red Bryant is our Elephant, he plays our DE position on early down, which we swap him for Irvin on passing downs. We also have two DT, Branch and Mebane who play on early downs as well. Our top 4 man pass rush included clem, mebane, Jones, and Irvin...that's who would normally be in on say 3rd and 8...

My problem with Ansah is that you are giving up on Bryant...He had one bad year, and was surely injured. Why would you give up on a guy you just committed to long term, when there are much greater team needs? If you draft Ansah, you're drafting him to be another pass rush specialty on 3rd down in the Jason Jones technique model? That's not his strength, and nor is it Pierre Paul.

I'm floored that you guys would want to end the Red Bryant experiment...he's what made our offense tick in 2011...He's our team leader on D, and he clearly wasn't right. So you would rather give up on a guy who's showed the potential he had in 2011, and pick his replacement when there are about 4 other spots that we need much more? SMH

That is why I have to stop having a conversation with you. At this point its pretty clear you don't understand team needs or what you are even talking about. There is too much wrong with that post and the others you have made. If you won't read what others are writing it discourages people from having conversation with you.

kearly

Reaction score
lukerguy":bs0mhv0l said:

Even if I was pro-Bryant, I would be worried about his lengthy injury history. Branch might not be retained in FA. Seattle has to be looking at 5-tech candidates in this draft almost no matter what. Ideally, it would be a player that offers things Bryant can't.

I think Pete is delusional if he thinks he can get a top pass rush with a base 4 man rush that includes Bryant. We are still far away from that goal, and I really doubt we'll get another 11 sacks out of Clemons next year. IMO, an overhaul of most of the line is needed to make this a reality, and perhaps even a philosophy shift. When our zone coverage couldn't cover for shit in 2010, Pete switched to a press-man centric cover system in 2011 and 2012. He is capable of being schematically flexible. I think he'll need to be to solve this problem.