Zaviar Gooden OLB Missouri 4.4 40 (Supposedly)

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
I am intrigued just simply by the speed of this guy. He's not really on anyone's radar either this guy could be another 4th or 5th round LB that Carroll could and have Norton coach up into a starter. We know Carroll likes speed on defense. There is even a site that predicts he could run a 4.38 at the highest. 6'2" 230. Anyone watched any tape on this guy? He was also recruited to play saftey originally. Here is the link on the info on this on this guy i gotta say i really like his on paper looks right now.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=82769

OP
OP
K

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Tell you what after watching the Youtube video on that page i am extremely impressed with how he plays. With some coaching from Carroll and Norton i think this is our Hill replacement. This dude is going to be a beast. He plays physical and down hill from what i seen he just needs to get a little better at recognition. THis guy is going to be an animal.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":3j7lkyio said:
We already have our Hill replacement.

I doubt it for two reasons:

-Even when Hill was clearly past his prime, Seattle still kept Smith on the bench. If you add up all of Smith's reps he's probably got 3 games worth in 3 years. Smith missed 2011 with injury, and he has a long injury history in college.

-John Schneider went out of his way to talk about junior linebackers in the next draft during his radio appearance. Seattle has 10 draft picks. After drafting Wagner they still drafted Toomer last year. It seems very likely that Seattle will draft another LB or two in 2013.

kearly

Reaction score
A pointer for anyone that doesn't know how to link a youtube video, you just want the part that comes after the = sign. Sometimes you'll have to cut off a little extraneous stuff, but it's basically common sense (you'll know something doesn't look right when you see it), and I say this as someone who is hardly a genius when it comes to coding.

In this case "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF_nkE3iqUQ" becomes "XF_nkE3iqUQ". Then you apply the youtube tag to it like you are quoting it:

[ youtube]XF_nkE3iqUQ[/youtube] Pretty simple.

[youtube]XF_nkE3iqUQ[/youtube]

[youtube]Uy6zt1-4Wgo[/youtube]

hawksfan515

Reaction score
kearly":o2uxtrgw said:
McGruff":o2uxtrgw said:
We already have our Hill replacement.

I doubt it for two reasons:

-Even when Hill was clearly past his prime, Seattle still kept Smith on the bench. If you add up all of Smith's reps he's probably got 3 games worth in 3 years. Smith missed 2011 with injury, and he has a long injury history in college.

-John Schneider went out of his way to talk about junior linebackers in the next draft during his radio appearance. Seattle has 10 draft picks. After drafting Wagner they still drafted Toomer last year. It seems very likely that Seattle will draft another LB or two in 2013.

3 games in 2 years actually. And maybe it was because they trusted Hill's run stopping abilities more? Anyways, I think Malcolm could win the job next training camp, I honestly don't see how anyone on this roster, a FA, or a rookie with no experience of Pete's system could beat him out, even though we are getting a new D-coordinator.

kearly

Reaction score
Oops, got him mixed up a bit with Dexter Davis. Davis was the one who missed 2011.

I think the fact that Hill looked like a liability late in the season and yet still sent Smith back to the bench when he returned from injury says a lot. I think Pete views Smith as a backup and special teams contributor.

McGruff

Reaction score
The only thing keeping Smith from taking the job has been injury.

I'm more than fine with added competition, but I don't see it as a first two day need.

OP
OP
K

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
I think we could get his guy in Round 3 or 4 possibly. Depends on how much his stock rises come draft time due to his speed. So earliest he could go is probably the second round but then again he is coming off a hamstring injury. Telling you this guy could be a steal in the 3 or 4th round. Bobby Wagner never played in Pete's system before this year and he had a learning curve but he still played great. You don't think the combination of Carroll and Norton could get this guy up to speed on how they want him to play. Seen a lot of people talk about Lavonte David recently. This guy is about the same size but faster. His tackle for loss and sack stats are average but i think if Pete and Norton got ahold of him and taught him when he needs to take on blockers to let someone else make the play and get it through to him this dude would make Kaepernick think twice about the read option crap against us. Not to mention if he is that fast and explosive he could cause all kinds of issues for people trying to run on the edge against us.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Wasn't it Mike Morgan who had spot duty filling in for LH, or was that only on certain pkg's?

I though Malcolm smith filled in at CB?

OP
OP
K

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
GoHawks":1grwgrsh said:
Wasn't it Mike Morgan who had spot duty filling in for LH, or was that only on certain pkg's?

I though Malcolm smith filled in at CB?

Nope Malcom Smith was in at times for the most part in passing situations at Leroy's spot.

GoHawks

Reaction score
A few other LB prospects - not sure if specific to LH's spot

Sean Porter
Jelani Jenkins
Keith Pough
Khaseem Greene

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":2kvncqwt said:
The only thing keeping Smith from taking the job has been injury.

I'm more than fine with added competition, but I don't see it as a first two day need.

If your starter can't hold his job because of injury concerns, that's a need. Seattle is not deep at LB, especially if Hill goes and I expect he will.

I would bet money that Seattle will draft a LB in rounds 1-4. After Seattle grabbed their immediate needs in rounds 1-4 (DE, LB, QB, RB), their next pick was a DT, then another LB. Grabbing that second speedy linebacker told us that the overhaul wasn't finished with Wagner.

Then again, this speedy LB group isn't the best. I guess it's possible they might avoid the position early this year.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Trial YouTube Video Imbed for Jelani Jenkins 2011 Highlight Vid

[youtube]nsyzuBgt7wI[/youtube]

kearly

Reaction score
GoHawks":1tq7th2l said:
A few other LB prospects - not sure if specific to LH's spot

Sean Porter
Jelani Jenkins
Keith Pough
Khaseem Greene

Just watched some Keith Pough, he does not look all that fast. But he does look small.

I think Sean Porter has my vote right now. I really hope he's there in round 3.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Rob has some Missouri tape. I brought up this guy to him on his blog a week or so ago, solely based on that same rumored 4.38 time. He said he'd check him out, so hopefully when he gets the chance to do so since I couldn't find any tape out there.

GoHawks

Reaction score
kearly - I actually thought he looked fast on tape, compared to the nfldraft scout #'s posted.

I did feel similarly about jelani jenkins: he seemed too small compared to Pough and not as quick a get off or speed in general

GoHawks

Reaction score
Here's some info I dug up on Pough

nfldraftscout Link

Player Interview

Scouting Article

Howard LB Keith Pough measured 6-foot-1 3/4 and 241 pounds at this week's East-West Shrine all-star event. Pough was listed at a lankier 6-foot-3, 225 by Howard University. A favorite of Rotoworld's Josh Norris, Pough is built like an NFL middle linebacker and also has an impressive 79-inch wingspan, which will help for pass coverage purposes. Through two East-West Shrine practices, Pough has been a standout on the field. Jan 15 - 11:19 PM Source: National Football Post

Keith Pough Scouting Report by Damond Talbot

"Pough probably has the best first step in the MEAC, he anticipates the snap especially well. He gets up to top speed in a flash, and while he's still raw, Pough is beginning to develop some nice pass rush moves. Unless he adds an additional 15 pounds he will never be able to bull rush an Offensive lineman. Pough is an extremely disruptive pass rusher, is great at collapsing the pocket and forcing quarterbacks to step into pressure, forcing bad decisions. He plays with a lot of energy, and is an inspirational leader for the Bison's. He never quits on a play and is always working hard on the field and in the film room. Pough will chase down the ball carrier all over the field and is getting a better understanding of the game.

If he has another season like 2010, he could be in the running for the Buck Buchanan award where he was a semi-finalist last season. Pough had an offer from LSU, a partial offer from Clemson, Vanderbilt and New Mexico State and all the teams in the MEAC were scouting him, but he chose Howard because his mother's influence.

He is a gym rat and is always working on building his core muscles, If Keith can add additional weight without taking away from his first step he could be something special. He needs to work on pass coverage this season and being able to read the Offense better on slant plays. In addition to leading or tying the MEAC in three statistical categories, Pough led the entire nation in tackles for losses, was sixth nationally in forced fumbles, tied for 8th in sacks and tied for 23rd in total tackles. He now has a chance to break the school record for tackles for loss.

Latest posts