My draft pick if I'm JS/PC. I want SPEEEEEED!

SharkHawk

Reaction score
This kid is one I've talked about a lot. I want you to notice one thing if you watch this. Notice how he makes certain he has secured the ball, and then is moving. He never (at least in my watching of him) is running before he has the ball, and he also doesn't hit the deck or look to go immediately out of bounds. He is so fast to secure the ball, turn on a dime and get himself up field that it is crazy. Leon will be phasing out, and who better to learn from? This kid can play WR and RB, as well as return kicks and punts. Imagine if we had him as a threat across the middle on that last play against Atlanta. There is no reason to think that he couldn't have taken a short pass and run to the house. He is that type of player. His downfield speed reminds me of Darryl Turner (most prolific TD catcher in his short Hawks history). His hands remind me of Largent, his speed reminds me of Devin Hester, and his moves remind me of Barry Sanders in a way. I don't see anybody out there that would add so much playmaking ability to an offense on the cusp. Size be damned. This kid can flat out get it done.

[youtube]HAotwrBWXfg[/youtube]

chris98251

Reaction score
Height5-9
Weight174 lbs.
Is the scary part, not a tall guy or a big guy, would have to be very situational or change of pace Kick returns yeah I can see that. I think he will be a later round guy that we could get size will be the only detractor.

pehawk

Reaction score
His speed will put him MAYBE a 3rd rounder. Kind of a faster Tate.

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
He's almost the same size as Brian Blades (ok, officially about an inch and a half shorter, and 10 pounds-ish lighter, but he can carry another ten pounds without much issue) and that guy had a long and strong career and made many teams look like fools by his willingness to go across the middle and grab anything. If we are able to draft a Brian Blades with amazing speed, then I think you do it. He's your "gadget" guy, but I think he scares teams into having to soften up coverage on others. He was catching 10-12 balls a game for WV, and then they started using him as a RB just to get the ball in his hands more. I think he's elusive enough that he won't take the huge hits and should be ok.

I think with all of the underclassmen that declared that his stock has dropped some. I wouldn't mind at all if we dropped a first or second on him. Seriously. Get the players who will make your team better, and get them wherever you can. Hester is a guy that most definitely made the Bears a better team, and he didn't even play a position. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice and snag a guy like this and know that he's going to scare other teams and make them look like fools often enough that it's worth it.

chris98251

Reaction score
If he can accelerate in two step he makes that bubble screen a game breaker. I can see that being one use, strech play off the read option another since defense will have to stay back and not converge to quickly which also gives him a step or two and a cut back lane.

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Exactly... plus the threat of him doing those things maybe makes guys soften up their coverage on Golden, Sid, and Baldwin (if you're moving Austin around between RB or we're going 4 wide). I look forward to seeing what he does in the NFL regardless, I just hope it's not against us. I honestly feel he's much more of a pro player than that kid from Oregon, who has been out of favor in San Francisco, so I don't like that comparison, but a lot of folks are using it. He was more of a guy that took the handoff and blew by everybody through a big hole on misdirection. Austin is an actual WR who is very good at running routes and getting open, and then making a lot of yards after the catch. He's quite a player.

kearly

Reaction score
I like me some Tavon Awesome, but I don't expect him to be high enough on our draft board. He will get drafted in the early to mid 2nd round, and I don't know if Seattle would seriously consider him before their late 3rd. That's how things look right now, and it's only January. Maybe things will change.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I would be ecstatic if we got this guy. At the very least he would be an electric kick and punt return guy for a long long time. However I see him as a guy we could use for bubble screens and to stretch the field with his top end speed. He reminds me of Percy Harvin but I think he is actually faster and definitely more elusive. Would love, love, love to get Tavon, he is a legit playmaker tilt the field type of guy.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
[youtube]bVWm9pNiXYY[/youtube]

Would rather have Hopkins, this guy catches with his hands well and has the speed to get deep.

Austin seems more McCluster/LeMichel James than a Desean Jackson or Cobb.

I believe Austin was a RB in HS, we already have one of those in Tate and we saw how long it has taken for him to get up to NFL speed. I know Russ and Tate are buddies and Tate had a good season for us but I really think we can improve over Tate in this draft. Tate is not the type of WR that scares defenses or is a game breaker. Neither Sid, Tate, or DBfresh have deep speed so I think a fast but nfl size WR should be a top priority along with pass rush

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I like Austin but for me he's a package type player. Not the type to run traditional routes even make a lot of plays downfield. Big YAC qualities. I'm concerned he could be another Dexter McCluster.

The more I think about it, the more I think Seattle will covet a big target at receiver. Possession type. We don't have that. And we kind of tried to find it with Edwards, Williams. I fully expect Keenan Allen to fall much further than most people expect and he might well be a guy we consider in R2. But then I can also see Zach Ertz being drafted in R1 as a receiving tight end for the same role.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Does Austin beat jams wellvat the LOS? That was Deon Butler's problem.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":kgli5nff said:
I like Austin but for me he's a package type player. Not the type to run traditional routes even make a lot of plays downfield. Big YAC qualities. I'm concerned he could be another Dexter McCluster.

The more I think about it, the more I think Seattle will covet a big target at receiver. Possession type. We don't have that. And we kind of tried to find it with Edwards, Williams. I fully expect Keenan Allen to fall much further than most people expect and he might well be a guy we consider in R2. But then I can also see Zach Ertz being drafted in R1 as a receiving tight end for the same role.
:13:

I don't mind him..... he made a lot of plays at the college level, but I think at WR we would look for a big target. If Rice goes down we are really thin.

drrew

Reaction score
I see Percy Harvin when I look at Austin. Harvin has a inch or two on him, but they're similar sized and Harvin is a legit game changer when healthy, the when healthy part being the key.

Being as close to the SB as this team is, I'm ok going situational. I don't see your standard WR beating out Rice/Tate/Baldwin in season one, but someone different like Austin I could see getting on the field.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
drrew":1kc7yr8y said:
I don't see your standard WR beating out Rice/Tate/Baldwin in season one, but someone different like Austin I could see getting on the field.

This is a good point. I am of the opinion that we need to upgrade Tate and get a guy who could take over for Rice in a few years as our #1.

I do think we are soo close to a superbowl and getting a rookie who could bring something diffrent to the table would be nice too. WE will have to see I still think I'd be surprised if we drafted a small wr over a bigger one. Unless they have their eye on a big late round WR they think can develop and I don't think we use a high pick to draft a small quick wr just for slot and ST duties