Trading back into the 1st round

Would you trade back into the late first if it meant trading the 2nd pick and 2014 1st?

• Yes

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 80.0%

• Total voters

Hawkspur

Reaction score
According to many draft experts, it appears that the end of the first round is very strong this year and is likely to contain many players who could make a big impact on the Seahawks roster. As the Seahawks showed this season, they have as good a chance as anybody to win right now; we are no longer rebuilding.

So, if the 25th pick rolls around and there are 2 players who could give the team an instant upgrade (eg Hopkins, Ertz, Richardson, Floyd, Ogletree, Short, Warmack, Cooper), would you be on board with a trade for the 26th pick, or one of those following, in order to have 2 1st round picks this year, if the price is this year's second round pick and next year's first?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I dont think that kind of ridiculous price tag is likely to be the asking price, so I would say hell no to the offer you laid out.

kearly

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2ek9e9yv said:
I dont think that kind of ridiculous price tag is likely to be the asking price, so I would say hell no to the offer you laid out.

Actually that's pretty standard. When the Saints traded for the 28th pick in 2011, they paid a 2nd rounder (#56) and a 2012 first. That's almost identical to the scenario above (we'd be giving up a #58 and a 2014 first to get the #26).

As far as the trade itself, no thank you. Trading two good picks for one isn't good for business. This is a really deep draft too. At least when the Saints did that deal in 2011, it was in a not-so-deep draft (the then "BPA" options at #56 sucked that year), but this year, you are looking at a really nice pool of players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Some positions will still have good finds on day 3. If anything, I see a ton of incentive to trade down. Deep drafts are the best kind for stockpiling picks in.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So the next pick in a deep receiver pool would be the late third round? No thanks.

In the scenario proposed, Seattle is likely to be the team giving up the first round pick for a second and next year's first. Not the one moving back into the first.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
Eh, I'd only do it if we got our DL pick and Hopkins was still on the board somehow!

McGruff

Reaction score
S your want to trade a future first for a first in a weak draft?

No. That's the opposite of what we want to do. I'd rather trade out of this years first for future firsts than accumulate picks in a weak draft.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm with Scottemojo on this, unless, somehow S. Richardson/K. Short, Ansah or Hopkins was still there. After getting a DT at 25' either one of those guys would put us over the top. We would be giving up a pick that is close to being a 3rd and next years 1st might as well be a second round pick. So, looking at it through rose colored glasses, we would be giving up a 2nd and a 3rd for an elite player.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Depends on who they would pick I guess...but hey, trading the 32nd pick next year is not the end of the world

OP
OP
Hawkspur

Hawkspur

Reaction score
ivotuk":1311hdk9 said:
I'm with Scottemojo on this, unless, somehow S. Richardson/K. Short, Ansah or Hopkins was still there. After getting a DT at 25' either one of those guys would put us over the top. We would be giving up a pick that is close to being a 3rd and next years 1st might as well be a second round pick. So, looking at it through rose colored glasses, we would be giving up a 2nd and a 3rd for an elite player.

That's pretty much my thought too. If there's a guy who you know would be a great addition now then you're essentially losing out on a second rounder and getting that player from near the top of your draft board rather than risking what appeared to happen with the Carpenter pick (ie the value at a position of need might not be there next year). I think that given the strength of our squad at the moment, if we can add 2 first round players to immediately fill gaps and give us a stronger chance or winning it all next season that a late 2nd could be a small price to pay.

However, I agree with those of you who think that we're more likely to trade down. English has been projecting someone like the Bills or Chiefs trading back into the 20s for a QB and I'm sure that Schneider would be all over that possibility. And frankly, at this stage, whatever Schneider decides is a winner in my book.

12evanf

Reaction score
JS views the draft like a dart board and his picks as darts. The more darts he gets the more likely he is to hit the bullseye. I see us trading our 1st or 2nd round pick for even more picks rather than the opposite.

edit: Like Scott said.

ivotuk

Reaction score
12evanf":39oz1ilu said:
JS views the draft like a dart board and his picks as darts. The more darts he gets the more likely he is to hit the bullseye. I see us trading our 1st or 2nd round pick for even more picks rather than the opposite.

edit: Like Scott said.

That is an adorable picture. The look says "We just got Russell Wilson! In the third round!"

JKent82

Reaction score
Warmack/Cooper and Ogletree or maybe Richardson would be fine by me. The only reason I'd say guard is ok is the value is probably pretty damn good at that point even if we don't have need. Ogletree and Richardson would be the other option. Or maybe just both.

Personally if that's all sitting on the board I'm calling to trade back a few spots and still get a good player.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I have the sense that John and Pete will end up trading Matt Flynn on draft day by swapping either 2nd round or 3rd round picks with one of the QB-needy teams picking at the top of each round like KC or Jacksonville... or the Browns.