It's time to take a WR in round one.

General Manager

Reaction score
Were not that team that just play's good defense and runs the ball anymore, we have a great QB lets get him some weapons . I don't want to see us skunked in the first half again in the playoffs.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Whom do you suggest, GM?

I don't know if a late first rounder is going to be any better than Tate, Rice or even Baldwin. Our guys may not be flashy but they seem to perform when their number is called. If we picked sooner and could get a Julio Jones or a Dez Bryant, I would be more apt to agree. (Although watching Bryant drop every other big catch might drive me to kick a fluffy puppy)

I am more for getting a young, raw DT who we can grow with the rest of our young guys and would look to Free Agency for a 3rd down receiver that can find the open zone (Amendola)

OP
OP
General Manager

General Manager

Reaction score
Hopkins or Williams, right now i looks like your going to get a better WR then DL at 25 but it's early in the process . We need a WR though so it does fill a need. Baldwin didn't do much last year was injured and we know the history of Rice . It's a fairly deep draft at WR so taking a DE or DT is fine with me but Williams is really good so is Hopkins .

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I also don't want to see us give up 20 points in a half, too.

I'm not against taking a WR first round, but depth in this draft class may allow us to fill wr needs in the 2nd or 3rd and draft defense with that first pick.

If we don't sign a DT in free agency, and Jay Howard (DT drafted last year - 4th rd) isn't seen as a legitimate starter, than I'd be hesitant to draft anything other than a DT round 1. It would be a huge need in that scenario and not one I'm sure they'd risk waiting till the 2nd to address.

Hawks46

Reaction score
We're in a great position where we can pick BPA really.

The three biggest needs to me are: DE, 3 Tech DT, WILL, and then WR.

Really, I'm not seeing a big upgrade with Rice or Tate even at the end of the 1st round. So, we're looking to upgrade Baldwin, who is hurt a lot, so the guy needs to be good since he will be playing. I can see us doing that in the 2nd-4th rounds really.

We also brought in a big bodied FA from AZ who could be intriguing at that possession slot position.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
A first round WR seems to be one of the best scenerios for aquiring the best picks for most of the team needs. I'd assume that at least 1 DT or DE is addressed in free agency. Of course, these guys move up and down in rankings frequently, and this is an early mock, but at this time it's the best I can do.
Note: This mock has 5 picks each on offense & defense. Some of these picks will have to really compete to make the team. My "work in process" full 7-round Seahawk Mock Draft, with Alternate picks, as of 1/31/2013.
1/25- *DeAndre Hopkins WR, Clemson Jr 6-1 200 1-2, (Alt. TE-Zack Ertz /or/ WR-Robert Woods)
--------->Solves the "go to guy" need, any of theses guys would work, - Hopkins preferred.
2/57- Khaseem Greene OLB, Rutgers rSr 6-1 236 2, (Alt. OLB-Arthur Brown /or/ OLB-Zavier Gooden)
--------->OLB need can be filled with this pick by any one of these guys IF available.
3/89- Malliciah Goodman DE, Clemson Sr 6-4 272 2-3, (Alt. DE-Cornellius Carradine)
--------->This pick is a PC/JS special (long arm & big hand freaks), + DE is a big need.
4/121- Jordan Hill DT, Penn State Sr 6-1 294 3-4, (Alt. DT-Brandon Williams)
--------->A good 3-tech with a big motor and decent ability, badly needed.
5/131- Jonathan Cyprien SS, Florida International Sr 6-0 209 4-5, (Alt. CB-Leon McFadden)
--------->Find a spot for this tough guy with attitude and let him get after it.
5/153- Matt Scott QB, Arizona rSr 6-2 202 5, (Alt. OT-Terron Armstead + UDFA-QB Colby Cameron)
--------->Probably best potential backup QB with RW similarities. Has a very nice "clutch" gene.
6/185- Ryan Otten TE, San Jose State rSr 6-5 235 6-7, (Alt. WR-Corey Fuller if we get Ertz.)
--------->A pass catching TE to add more arrows to RW's quiver.
7/198- *Brandon Kaufman WR, Eastern Washington rJr 6-4 214 6-7, (Alt. WR-Marcus Davis)
--------->Size/speed WR with good small school #'s and possible big upside.
7/208- Kerwynn Williams RB, Utah State Sr 5-08 196 7-FA (Alt. RB-*Knile Davis)
--------->A kick returner and change of pace back, eventually replacing Leon Washington?
7/217- Quanterus Smith DE, Western Kentucky rSr 6-5 248 7-FA (Alt. DT-Chris Jones)
--------->Falls due to injury but well worth a 7-th round pick & wait for his recovery.
UDFA's-->(if available):
QB-Colby Cameron, DE-Caleb Schreibeis, DE-Joe Vellano, DE-Joe Kruger,
OLB-Phillip Steward, DT-Chris Jones, PK-Dustin Hopkins.

sliv

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":sbp1tubt said:
A first round WR seems to be one of the best scenerios for aquiring the best picks for most of the team needs. I'd assume that at least 1 DT or DE is addressed in free agency. Of course, these guys move up and down in rankings frequently, and this is an early mock, but at this time it's the best I can do.
Note: This mock has 5 picks each on offense & defense. Some of these picks will have to really compete to make the team. My "work in process" full 7-round Seahawk Mock Draft, with Alternate picks, as of 1/31/2013.
1/25- *DeAndre Hopkins WR, Clemson Jr 6-1 200 1-2, (Alt. TE-Zack Ertz /or/ WR-Robert Woods)
--------->Solves the "go to guy" need, any of theses guys would work, - Hopkins preferred.
2/57- Khaseem Greene OLB, Rutgers rSr 6-1 236 2, (Alt. OLB-Arthur Brown /or/ OLB-Zavier Gooden)
--------->OLB need can be filled with this pick by any one of these guys IF available.
3/89- Malliciah Goodman DE, Clemson Sr 6-4 272 2-3, (Alt. DE-Cornellius Carradine)
--------->This pick is a PC/JS special (long arm & big hand freaks), + DE is a big need.
4/121- Jordan Hill DT, Penn State Sr 6-1 294 3-4, (Alt. DT-Brandon Williams)
--------->A good 3-tech with a big motor and decent ability, badly needed.
5/131- Jonathan Cyprien SS, Florida International Sr 6-0 209 4-5, (Alt. CB-Leon McFadden)
--------->Find a spot for this tough guy with attitude and let him get after it.
5/153- Matt Scott QB, Arizona rSr 6-2 202 5, (Alt. OT-Terron Armstead + UDFA-QB Colby Cameron)
--------->Probably best potential backup QB with RW similarities. Has a very nice "clutch" gene.
6/185- Ryan Otten TE, San Jose State rSr 6-5 235 6-7, (Alt. WR-Corey Fuller if we get Ertz.)
--------->A pass catching TE to add more arrows to RW's quiver.
7/198- *Brandon Kaufman WR, Eastern Washington rJr 6-4 214 6-7, (Alt. WR-Marcus Davis)
--------->Size/speed WR with good small school #'s and possible big upside.
7/208- Kerwynn Williams RB, Utah State Sr 5-08 196 7-FA (Alt. RB-*Knile Davis)
--------->A kick returner and change of pace back, eventually replacing Leon Washington?
7/217- Quanterus Smith DE, Western Kentucky rSr 6-5 248 7-FA (Alt. DT-Chris Jones)
--------->Falls due to injury but well worth a 7-th round pick & wait for his recovery.
UDFA's-->(if available):
QB-Colby Cameron, DE-Caleb Schreibeis, DE-Joe Vellano, DE-Joe Kruger,
OLB-Phillip Steward, WR-DeVonte Christopher, DT-Chris Jones, PK-Dustin Hopkins.

WOW good work, to get a true elite defense our front seven has to be as good as are back four and John and pete both know this. I have no idea how they will go about it only that they want the same things that we want and are always working towards that goal............ GO HAWKS!!!

ivotuk

Reaction score
I used to like Goodman, great measureables, but I don't think he's a "football player." I've recently read that his effort has been lacking and that his technique is questionable. IIRC., it ewas a recent Senior Bowel article. Damn tiny ipad keyboard...well maybe some people saw it akin to a bowel movement from a QB perspective.

I'll do some research and see if I can find that article.

Found something by Pauline:

Malliciah Goodman/DE/Clemson: Goodman's natural ability had scouts thinking he was a first-round prospect in September, yet that opinion has changed. Goodman has been a non-factor throughout much of the season and totaled just 24 tackles and three sacks. There's a good chance Goodman is over-drafted based on his athletic ability yet he's a long way from being NFL-ready.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z2JcQB1zAB

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I agree that Goodman is a bit of a risky pick, I previously had Devon Taylor (who has since fallen in the rankings) in that slot but the combination of measureables on Goodman and his decent performance in the Chick-fil bowl game made it make some sense. There isn't a real scouting report on Goodman online that I could find, most of what is written about him is single writers opinions that may or may not be completely valid. I also had the thought that he's a "late bloomer"? Goodman had 9.5-TFL and 7-sacks in 2012 per: http://clemson.scout.com/2/1254439.html As time goes on, things change and I think I may need to switch Rd 4 (DT pick) with Rd 3 (DE pick).

My initial thoughts with a mid round DE selection were to find a good "developmental" DE and hope he out-performs expectations. I'm thinking maybe PC/JS will bring in a vetran FA at DE to be a stop gap against Clemmons healing slowly and that guy should start. The only other highler ranked DE's likely to be available with the 3-rd round #89 pick are probably Corey Lemonier, Lavar Edwards or William Gholston. More study is required I guess. The injured Quanteres Smith in the late rounds would be a high risk/high reward pick IMO and I think they'll bring in a couple of UDFA DE's for competition as well. :49ersmall: