TE Vance McDonald probably won't be a late round pick

kearly

Reaction score
Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage thinks Rice TE Vance McDonald will be a second-round pick.
CBS Sports's Dane Brugler is confident in a top-100 selection.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/130 ... e-mcdonald

I wish there was more stuff out there on him. I scoured youtube and basically found 2 plays of him. Have to say, I "get" the Gronk comps based on his build. He's tall and has a thick muscular frame, dude has tree trunks for arms. He actually almost looks like a Tom Cable OL. I could definitely see Seattle showing interest, but now it sounds like they might have to draft him in the first four rounds if they want him.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I really really really doubt that McDonald is drafted before the 4th. This is a Very Strong TE class. Just because he had a strong senior bowl week, does not jump him 4 rounds in the rankings. With Ertz, Eifert, Escobar, Reed, Sims, and Kelce all seemingly guaranteed in the top 100, I cannot see McDonald being drafted ANY higher than those six. My guess would be 4th or 5th round

Isn't that the same Phil Savage that was the horrible GM for those crappy Browns teams a few years back? No wonder the Browns have had such horrible teams

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
It is a deep TE class. I think for that reason, we will probably see the Seahawks put TE on the back burner until the later rounds.

I really trust both Matt Waldman (football outsiders) and Scottemojo. Both have come away with very positive reviews of McDonald. I really wish I knew more about McDonald, but the pieces I've put together paint the picture of a guy that could be the highest upside TE in the draft. Even Gronk was a 2nd rounder, and Jimmy Graham was a late 3rd. Evaluators are aware that very high upside TEs are not exclusively 1st round material.

Should be interesting to see if McDonald can continue his momentum during the underwear olympics.

cubbyhawkfan

Reaction score
Something that irks me when reading these supposed "experts" is how they make conclusions based on one postseason event when most work is done way before then by scouts and gms. I've heard reports that said he was good,some that said he was ok,some saying he had several big drops.Sounds like the dude is raw and this TE class is deep,for him to make it into the top 100 he'd have to have a huge combine while having several of the other rising TE's have not so great combines.This part of the year is great but way too many "experts" forget that one solid week in the post season more than likely won't have a "huge" effect on a prospect.If he could back that up with reports from several high ranking scouts and gms and such i'll believe it a little more.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Body control. The guy plays with body control that is rare in a TE. people can say raw, they cans say small school all they want, but it was watching the guy run a few routes at the Senior bowl, he has that Golden Tate kind of body control.

He gets football concepts too. they had WR's running sideline routes at the senior bowl, and he was with them. Every receiver ran the route where the QB had to be perfect with his throw, but this guy used his mass to move the press corner in towards the numbers, then ran the out where he had given the QB some grass to work with. Easy throw, easy catch.

34.5 inch arms, big hands. Creates separation like Gronk, even without awesome speed. (the separation I don't see as much as I should from guys like Cook)
And a guy who got his body into great shape long before the combine at a small school that likely doesn't have pro level workout schedules. That means he works.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Was looking for info on him and found this about another Rice TE.

Rice

Luke Wilson, TE

Vance McDonald may get more of the attention and more targets at Rice, but Wilson is the better NFL prospect. Wilson is a well rounded TE and a very good athlete. At 6’5″ 250 pounds he has the size NFL scouts look for. Wilson is also a very good baseball player and is in the Toronto Blue Jays minor league system.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/06/ ... c-usa.html

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
When I looked up McDonald I saw more of #82 (Wilson) than #88 (McDonald). Wilson looks very skinny- he might convert to WR at the next level unless he adds size.

Starrman44

Reaction score
ivotuk":7yj3jbsr said:
Was looking for info on him and found this about another Rice TE.

Rice

Luke Wilson, TE

Vance McDonald may get more of the attention and more targets at Rice, but Wilson is the better NFL prospect. Wilson is a well rounded TE and a very good athlete. At 6’5″ 250 pounds he has the size NFL scouts look for. Wilson is also a very good baseball player and is in the Toronto Blue Jays minor league system.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/06/ ... c-usa.html

First name Luke, last name Wilson? And he plays baseball? Coincidence, I think not...

cover-2

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":204uzv2e said:
I really really really doubt that McDonald is drafted before the 4th. This is a Very Strong TE class. Just because he had a strong senior bowl week, does not jump him 4 rounds in the rankings. With Ertz, Eifert, Escobar, Reed, Sims, and Kelce all seemingly guaranteed in the top 100, I cannot see McDonald being drafted ANY higher than those six. My guess would be 4th or 5th round

Isn't that the same Phil Savage that was the horrible GM for those crappy Browns teams a few years back? No wonder the Browns have had such horrible teams

I have scouted all of the TE's you mentioned except Reed and if you want an athletic TE that is a willing blocker then I would rate McDonald #3 or #4 behind Ertz, Eifert, and maybe Escobar. Sims is a better blocker, but he is not a threat to stretch the seam. Kelce is a good receiving TE that showed a bit of a attitude when he had the ball in his hands, but he does not have the want-to/willingness as a blocker; Kelce showed the worst effort when asked to block since Shaun Alexander.

Latest posts