Sam Montgomery LSU

HighlandHawk

Reaction score
He only really projects as a LEO in our defense and even then he lacks the instant snap getoff that we need there. I believe we can pick up someone in the later rounds for LEO depth if required. I'd be very surprised if we pick him up in the first two rounds but 3rd on there wouldn't be a problem (though it's unlikely he'll last into the bottom of the third).

Check a standard game and watch how he's pretty much always last off the snap, that might be OK in college but a fraction of a second can make a huge difference in the NFL.

http://youtu.be/C5TM_epok5M

I think one reason he gets linked to the Seahawks is simply because Travis Jones had a couple of years at LSU (don't rate him as a d line coach mind you but that's another thread)

kearly

Reaction score
There are more than a few top 25 prospects that I just don't get at all- and both of LSU's DEs are among them. I guess Mingo could be a 3rd down rusher like Irvin or a 3-4 DE, but Montgomery brings nothing. No fast step, no hand fighting, no power, no speed, no production. I'd grade him a 4th rounder, maybe worse. He's almost like Landry Jones the DE- physically he looks the part but everything else firmly tells you "stay away."

Scottemojo

Reaction score
More and more I am convinced LSU is a school where you have to identify players with tools and talent, because I am pretty sure they aren't being coached up or taught a lot of work ethic. And they all seem to declare early, so that makes it tough to evaluate them too.
Montgomery does not have wheels, and he seems to instinctively two gap, which is pretty bad when you can't get off blocks (FWIW, my big problem with Irvin is that he is playing like a two gapper half the time, engaging a lineman head on instead of using his one real tool, speed).

I liked his instincts, though. He recognized screens in the game against south Carolina, and filled gaps well. I see a 3-4OLB linebacker when I watch him, not a LEO pass rusher.

two dog

Reaction score
Has anyone else read that Montgomery's work ethic is off the charts?
Literally OFF the charts, as in didn't register.

Apparently disinterested in practice with a big-timers attitude.
I'm unable to tell you where, or when, I read this but I'm not making it up.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Thanks, Rob.

So, yeah, there you have it. LSU's coaching staff has since gone back and said that this was posted before the season and the Montgomery has since improved his attitude and work ethic, but that seems more a PR move and protecting their own ass (which recruits will want to play for LSU if they blatantly harm their draft stock like this?)

I haven't studied Montgomery, but if these comments are true, than I don't predict Pete and John as wanting him on their team.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
For such a loaded/talented defense, Mingo and Montgomery sure underwhelmed statistically this year. Now, stats are not everything, but it is a huge concern with me when you can't put up numbers with the supporting cast they have.

It would be like a RB at Stanford who averages 3.5 YPC, but can run a 4.3 and weighs 220 (all hypothetical). Shouldn't he be able to produce more in college with that system and OL? Stupid analogy, but that's how I feel.

Does that mean avoid these players? Of course not. Simply put, I wouldn't feel great about investing premium draft capital in a bunch of underachievers.

hawksman53

Reaction score
I would be happy with him at #25. I love a guy like him with some attitude and fire

Latest posts