Whiner's draft Prowess

O-LineFan

Reaction score
I'll begin by saying I don't want any 9er homerism here.

I was wondering what folks think about the current 9er FO's ability in the draft. While Kaep and Lamichael James have been decent picks, I haven't delved into their drafts to really evaluate.

I hope they're not great so they'll crawl back into mediocrity after the 87 year old Davis and Gore retire.

whatcha think?

Jville

Reaction score
O-LineFan":1un6sp70 said:
I'll begin by saying I don't want any 9er homerism here.

I was wondering what folks think about the current 9er FO's ability in the draft. While Kaep and Lamichael James have been decent picks, I haven't delved into their drafts to really evaluate.

I hope they're not great so they'll crawl back into mediocrity after the 87 year old Davis and Gore retire.

whatcha think?

I think that the current run on personel additions dates back to 2005. That was Mike Nolans first year and the year Scot McCloughan left Seattle to head up the 49er draft team. Scot went on to become the 49er GM before departing a couple of years ago. I think the current 49er player talent is a strong reflection of the job McCloughan did for the 49ers. Also, the current 49er GM was a McCloughan choice along with many of the pro and college scouts. The current 49er success in many ways is a Scot McCloughan legacy. I doubt the benefits of McCloughan's legacy will disappear any time soon. The Seahawks will have to continue to compete.

OP
OP
O-LineFan

O-LineFan

Reaction score
exactly the sort of info I was hoping for. Thanks a bunch!

Gotta say though, the Willis' (Willisi? Willisen?) of the world are a once in a generation type of player. Can't see them picking up that sort of talent on a regular basis.

Erebus

Reaction score
Their only first round pick since 2005 not on the team anymore is Manny Lawson from 2006, but they also got Vernon Davis that year. They've done remarkably well drafting in the first round.

OP
OP
O-LineFan

O-LineFan

Reaction score
Thanks all! It'll definitely be an interesting off season.

Hawks46

Reaction score
While you can say Willis is a once in a generation player, and the Niners won't get more like him, they then went out and got Bowman, who's possibly better.

Wasn't Bowman a freakin 3rd round draft pick or something ?

two dog

Reaction score
Drafting late in the round has a cumulative effect which coupled with all the success on the field
may cause them problems with players aging, feeling underpaid, not appreciated, etc. Meanwhile,
they are not adding those elite pieces drafting high put into place.

This cycle of rising and falling through the draft seems to be a design to promote parity.
Some of the teams, however, seem to have figured out how to maintain a pretty high
level of excellence despite that. The Pats, Giants, Ravens and Pissburg spring to mind.

Don't know about the 49'ers, but the Seahawks are showing signs of being one of the teams
who have figured it out. Pete and Jon have added quality in the early, middle and late rounds.
Jon won't let them get too old and if a player's head got too big, I don't think Pete would
hesitate an instant before giving him an apple and a road map.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Their last two drafts (with the new GM) produced Keap and Aldon Smith. Those are the only two that really have had a big impact and Smith disapeared without Just Smith on the field. They also grabbed Hunter and Culliver but neither have really been dominant and Culliver was the one publicly gay bashing recently and got owned in the super bowl.

Last years #1 pick was AJ Jenkins who looks like a complete bust. Picked #30 overall, couldn't get activated for more than three games and recorded zero catch's on the year. The rest of this last years draft class equal's about zero production beside Lamicheal James who the question is still out on.

With Frank Gore and Justin Smith both hitting the twilight of their careers, they should be looking for answers for both of them. Smith turns 34 in September and was injured this year. When he went out Aldon completely disappeared. If they don't find an answer for Smith (and he is a perennial allpro) the Aldon Smith pick becomes much more questionable and those elite LB's will also take a step back. Their secondary is average right now with one of the best front sevens in football. If that front seven declines their secondary will start to look well below average.

They have 14 picks this upcoming draft and I wouldn't be surprised to see them package some of those to try and grab a replacement for Justin Smith as this class is suppose to be pretty weak beyond the very early tackles.

We will see but he new GM so far has varied results and I don't believe he is elite at finding top talent, I think it is more a thing that the guys that have looked good have done so do to surrounding talent.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm confident in the staff Scot McCloughan left behind. However, the arrival Jim Harbaugh and Jed York after Scot left does change the dynamics and probably effects the results.

By the way ..... although Scot McCloughan still lives and works out of Northern California, he works for the Seattle Seahawks as a Senior Personnel Executive.