Khaseem Greene -- Could he be the Seahawks Target at #25?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Like most of you, I've been studying the draft intently -- taking a look at the Seahawks needs and the projections of who will probably be available for the Hawks at the #25 pick. The more I study this puzzle ... taking a look at just who will probably be available in Free Agency ... and taking a look at what Seattle needs ... and factoring in value at the #25 Spot, the more I'm convinced that Khaseem Greene (OLB from Rutgers) could be the Seahawks pick.

Now follow me here for a second ...

The Seahawks run defense was increasingly more and more of an issue as the season wore on. AND opposing teams also found increasingly more success in those short to middle zones in underneath coverage. Now part of the Seahawks issues in coverage had to do with the fact that Marcus Trufant just doesn't have the quickness and speed anymore to cover slot receivers, so opposing QB's took advantage of that. [Finding Nickel CB will be a focus for Schneider and the Hawks this offseason] BUT, the other part of that is simply the fact that Leroy Hill has gotten old. He no longer has the required quickness and speed necessary to get to those spots in coverage anymore and to stone the run. That lack of speed and quickness was also part of the Seahawks issue in terms of their lack of penetration, as he just doesn't have the wheels to really penetrate in to the backfield ... to get those running backs in the backfield (rack up those Tackles for Loss) ... and to bring down the opposing QB. Yes, finding a 3 Technique DT and Pass Rushing DE have to be right there at the top of the Hawks needs this offseason (Priorities 1A and 1B) ... BUT getting that replacement for Leroy Hill has to rank up there as Priority 1C.

Given all of that, most mock drafts out there are projecting a lot of the top Defensive Lineman to be long gone by the time the Seahawks draft at #25 (Star Lotulelei, Sheldon Richardson, Bjoern Werner, Damontre Moore, Keke Mingo, Sharrif Floyd, Ezekiel Ansah, etc.) it might make sense for the Seahawks to shift to looking for an Outside Linebacker.

Schneider has talked in the past that linebackers have historically fallen in to 2 different categories:

1) Those 220-225 Pound guys whose game really relies upon speed and quickness.
2) The 250 Pound+ guys whose game relies upon strength and overpowering opposing players.

He admitted that they tend to choose a middle ground -- to target those guys who are a bit of both. And if you take a look at the Seahawks roster, you'll see that nearly all of their LB's fall in to that 230-240 range and are exactly that -- they have a bit of both (speed and quickness ... but also strength and power as well).

So, I submit to you that Khaseem Greene is a guy that could potentially address all of the issues I listed above and has "Future Seahawk" written all over him. He was converted to linebacker from safety prior to the 2011 season. He was the Big East's most dominant player in 2011, leading the conference in Tackles (141) including 10.5 Tackles for Loss, 5.5 Sacks, and 6 Forced Fumbles. He has a great amount of athleticism and speed ... and as you'd figure for a coverted safety, is pretty good in coverage.

I don't know how many of you follow him or not, but Rob Stanton runs the website Seahawks Draft Blog and does a great job. He tracks draft prospects (with an eye on the Hawks) pretty intently throughout the year ... and he believes that Greene could be the guy. I would highly recommend his write-up on Khaseem Greene -- which is complete with some phenomenal video clips and interviews with him. Tell me that this guy couldn't possibly be Russell Wilson from the LB position ...

Khaseem Greene -- the next quirky Seahawks first round pick?

j hawk

Reaction score
I like Greene but not our first pick. The age old adage of war won in the trenches. Im in the DL,DE,or OL camp. JS and PC have done great in later rounds to get their LB talent. What JS does in FA will make a great impact on the draft. I think the right side of the OL could use some help, RW needs protection and can always improve the run game. My hope is that at least two of our greatest needs are satisfied in FA. Much of the best DL/DE talent will be gone by #25.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'm a huge Greene Fan. I made a post a couple weeks (found here) breaking him down a bit. I want him as a Seahawk, but I also gave him an early 2nd rd pick. If this team views him as a first round guy, then Id be more than fine with adding the player that Greene is.

There are a couple of things holding me back from wanting him in the first, though, such as Malcolm Smith performing admirably in spot-duty, and the fact that this front office has done well acquiring linebackers after the first that fit our system. Maybe main thing holding me back is the positional value at the spot and opportunity cost.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
skater18000":f1ap2bxp said:
I'm higher on Sio Moore at this point.

Yeah, I'd have to think after his performance at the Senior Bowl that he's certainly in the mix there.

j hawk":f1ap2bxp said:
I like Greene but not our first pick. The age old adage of war won in the trenches. Im in the DL,DE,or OL camp. JS and PC have done great in later rounds to get their LB talent. What JS does in FA will make a great impact on the draft. I think the right side of the OL could use some help, RW needs protection and can always improve the run game. My hope is that at least two of our greatest needs are satisfied in FA. Much of the best DL/DE talent will be gone by #25.

I understand that sentiment ... and believe me I'm all for nabbing a quality DT or DE if they're there. The problem from what I'm seeing of how things are projected to go is that most (if not all) of the really top end talent on the DL will be gone by the time the Hawks pick at #25.

Now, I would say that they MIGHT look to trade up there to grab (say an Ezekiel Ansah) if he gets down to that #17-#19 range ... but that would cost them probably their 3rd Round Pick (and maybe another pick) to do it. At that point I find myself asking value questions (what they'd be giving up vs. the value of the player that they'd get).

As far as OL is concerned, guard is a position that this organization seems to have a propensity to find in the later rounds.

Also, I'm completely agreed with you that this team will probably address some of those needs through Free Agency. On the DE side, my hope is that Michael Bennett doesn't get franchised (he would be my dream pick-up). Unfortunately, Tampa Bay has a ton of cap space, so I don't believe he's going anywhere. Osi Umenyiora I would say is far more likely.

On the DT front, here are a couple of names that I threw out there a few weeks ago ...

DT – Desmond Bryant (6’6” 311 Pounds) (who turns 28 in December) is another stealth bomber who could go undetected by many. After Richard Seymour went down with a season ending injury, Bryant took over as the starter for the last 8 games of the Raiders season. He had 0 sacks through Week 13 … but finished the season with 4.0 Sacks and 6 Tackles for Loss. Although he went undrafted in the 2009 Draft, this highly intelligent Harvard graduate appears to know what he’s doing, as he’s developing in to a solid pass rusher and run defender. He made $1.927 Million last season, and stands to improve upon that as the Raiders view his re-signing as a priority this offseason. As stated above though, that could be easier said than done, as the Raiders are currently $4.5 Million over the Salary Cap. Given the perpetual disarray of the organization, a team like the Seahawks could be a more attractive alternative for him.

DT -- Vance Walker (6’2” 304 Pounds) is another young Defensive Tackle (he turns 26 in April) who could be deserving of an extended look by the Seahawks. In a part time role with the Falcons (he played on 51.9% of their defensive snaps this year), Walker notched 3.0 Sacks and 2 Tackles for Loss. Those numbers don’t exactly going to set the world on fire, but Walker was considered an unsung hero and a fairly integral part of the Falcons defense this year. In fact, head coach Mike Smith went so far as to call Walker the Falcons “most productive defensive tackle in terms of pass rush statistically.” Walker’s job this season was to do the dirty work of taking up space by occupying more than one blocker – a job that he did very well this year. At Georgia Tech, Walker was considered an extremely good run stuffer and he demonstrated an ability to consistently get in to opposing backfields to disrupt and put pressure on the quarterback. He made $1.26 Million in the last year of his rookie deal and will certainly draw some interest from other clubs. Though the Falcons want him back, they will have other priorities in free agency like re-signing Strong Safety William Moore and Left Tackle Sam Baker. Walker could be just the kind of young defensive tackle that the Hawks might want to swoop in and carry back to their nest … and it realistically shouldn’t cost a wing and a talon to do it.

Should definitely be interesting to see how things go with the draft for sure.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1wih4zl3 said:
I'm a huge Greene Fan. I made a post a couple weeks (found here) breaking him down a bit. I want him as a Seahawk, but I also gave him an early 2nd rd pick. If this team views him as a first round guy, then Id be more than fine with adding the player that Greene is.

There are a couple of things holding me back from wanting him in the first, though, such as Malcolm Smith performing admirably in spot-duty, and the fact that this front office has done well acquiring linebackers after the first that fit our system. Maybe main thing holding me back is the positional value at the spot and opportunity cost.

I have a couple of thoughts regarding all that ...

1) From what I'm hearing, Khaseem Greene is climbing up draft boards. I highly doubt that he'll still be on the board when Seattle picks again in the 2nd Round. Now, IF (Big hypothetical IF) Greene is truly the guy that they're targeting ... and they're thinking that they could get him a bit lower ... I could see them trading down and picking up an extra pick or two. I could see that scenario playing out for sure.

2) I'm a big fan of Malcolm Smith's -- I absolutely LOVE the speed and the intensity that he brings out there. But frankly his lack of size could be a bit of an issue, as he could have difficulty shedding blocks, get swallowed up by opposing linemen, and possibly wear down as the season went along if he were a starter. Watching him, I'm reminded of Rufus Porter, who had a similar build and crazy speed ... but got neutralized often by more powerful linemen. Greene is just a bit bigger and I believe would have less issues in that department than Smith. Now, rotate Smith in there from time to time? -- absolutely. Starter? -- no. Just my opinion.