My new crush

McGruff

Reaction score
After the senior bowl, I only the Seahawks linked to one potential first round player. And it didn't make sense, cause he's a massive dude, and I didn't think we needed a massive dude.

So I decided to dig deeper, and after looking at several hours of full game clips, I'm seeing what they are buying into.

Jonathan Jenkins is a massive man that can move.

He is easy to find on film, not just because of his size, but because he is the guy also moving upfield . . . Whether by brute strength, first step, or slicing through the blockers, he's almost always 5 yards deep in seconds.

When he's not gassed he's relentless, with surpassingly agile feet. He played all overGeorgia's line, including NT and at RED's LDE position (albeit in a 3-4). He reminds me of a bigger, more athletic version of Red.

When I watch Jenkins, I see the Seahawks. A unique and versatile player. Pit him in the middle and I don't think tea,s will have a choice but to double team him.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5qmC0zfxoM

vs. Alabama so legit NFL talent for both teams.

I think he started of really well but faded as the game went on, keep in mind a guy that is 358 lb will need some rest to get through an entire game. Also, I didn't like the pick at first but monster nose tackles can be as hard to find as pocket collapsing 3 techs and a guy that can spot fill rotate with Red, Mebane, and sometimes the 3 as a goal line guy isn't something to just write of on it's face. I just don't know if that would be something the front office would pick in the first round. It is why Floyd would have be great though I think, he could be a good swing guy but also his age and upside for a 3 down DT seem perfect for Seattle.

Also, Seattle had some trouble toward the end of the season stopping the run with Bryant, Mebane, and less so but noticeably from Branch; they seemed to get injured slow down after all those snaps. Maybe a guy that can take some snaps stopping the run downs could be a valuable asset and one that is cheaper deal than resigning Branch is. I still like Branch, he could rotate with all 3 and adding him and Quinn could be good but Jenkins allows Seattle to try even more front 7 matchup looks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Wow! Jonathan Jenkins looks great. He reminds me a bit of BJ Raji. That was the guy the Seahawks should have taken with their pick in the 2009 draft instead of Curry. Guess who got him? The Packers and Schneider was a part of that org then. It did wonders for the Packers DL in drafting him. So who knows, Jenkins may do the same for the Seahawk line too.

Seahawks909

Reaction score
What's Up Seahawks Faithful!!!

I am pumped, we are so close, but with Clemons going down I do not think it's a secret that we need to target a pass rusher in the draft. Luckily this draft is loaded with them.

I just found this really interesting and in depth Big Board that was just released by Sportsmasher.com (Link Below) and it looks like plenty of good pass rushers will be available when the Seahawks are on the clock.

Who do you want?

Do you agree with pass rusher as our top need???

http://sportsmasher.com/2013/02/08/2013-nfl-draft-big-board-version-1-0/

Decimation

Reaction score
Seahawks909":9cbevqva said:
What's Up Seahawks Faithful!!!

I am pumped, we are so close, but with Clemons going down I do not think it's a secret that we need to target a pass rusher in the draft. Luckily this draft is loaded with them.

I just found this really interesting and in depth Big Board that was just released by Sportsmasher.com (Link Below) and it looks like plenty of good pass rushers will be available when the Seahawks are on the clock.

Who do you want?

Do you agree with pass rusher as our top need???

http://sportsmasher.com/2013/02/08/2013-nfl-draft-big-board-version-1-0/
First poster woot woot. Keep posting man it's great having more posters around.

On topic: Never heard of Jenkins till now. But after watching a few videos, I came away quite impressed.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
A lot to like. I did not see much speed but for a 350lb beast he did hustle. He pushed the pocket a lot. If he could do that while Irvin forced the qb's to step up we would end up with many more sacks. Funny how every wants a DT pass rusher but nobody mentions just pushing the pocket. Guys like Wilfork, Hampton, Ngata, the DT from Miami, and a few others have had a lot of success disrupting things by pushing the pocket.

Neither Mebane or Branch could clog the middle like this guy. And he would not put up the numbers but I think he would vastly improve our DL to the point Mebane, Irvin, Clemons and our LB's sacks and production would go way up. Mebane and Irvins sacks numbers could double if he drew double teams and was still pushing the pocket.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't see it. I watched him against Alabama, vs guys who are going to play in the NFL, and he got upright and pushed around most of the time, particularly against the run.

garydrake425

Reaction score
He looked alright from what i seen. I just kept seeing Jarvis Jones tear it up in Jenkins videos. I wish we could get Jones but he's probably gonna be gone.

Guardian

Reaction score
Sorry, but I just don't see it. At his size, I expected to see enough power/force to give offensive linemen trouble, but for the most part all I saw was a good first step right into the blocker.... and then nothing. No churning, no high motor, no force. More often than not, on running plays, he had little impact, allowing blockers to turn and get their angles so the running back can get by easily. I mean sure, there were of course better plays were he became disruptive and had an impact, but I just don't see him transitioning well to the NFL where his size advantage will diminish.

I might look at Shariff Floyd, or Kawann Short instead. I know, I know; these guys are more 3-techs, and Jenkins is more of a 1-tech, but we already have Mebane, and what we really need is interior passrush. Disruption. Both Floyd and Short have that ability to wreak havoc against the line, and both have a much higher motor than Jenkins.

[youtube]Zvuno4Ocezo[/youtube]
[youtube]z0_ueLOWGdU[/youtube]

Chawker

Reaction score
The true talent at DT on that team is'nt Jenkins, its Geathers! #99 I was watching some clips on Ogletree and they where double teaming Geathers almost every play, and when they didn't the OL went fling backwards. 6'6" 350 jr. projected 4th round pick. check him out!

Latest posts