This draft will be different for us...

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
...now that our SuperBowl window is officially open. The entire offseason, really. My first blush is that we will work FA for our immediate, pressing needs and we spend most of the draft on depth. I would waaaaaaaaaaay rather get a top 2-3 WR (decent draft class) at 25 than anything else. I'm still personally praying for someone like Cordarrelle Patterson at 25. If he's there, we have to grab him.

It's just so much better economically and far less risky to go DE/DT through FA and WR/TE at the top of the draft. I just can't see it any other way yet.

If we really can't sign a nice, available DT through FA, then they guys will have themselves a little predicament. BPA at that time. My guess is we'll make a play for Starks or even Melton, and then draft the best WR they can get at 25. They know- and so should we- that Sid is too risky from an injury standpoint to depend upon looking forward more than another year or two.

Thoughts?

chris98251

Reaction score
It will not be ANY different, we have built thru the draft and using serviceable FA till we get our guys, won't change this year either. Consider that we kept Wilson in a box 8 games and still managed to get 11 wins this year he will be cut loose for 16 next season. That may not equate to more wins but it will give us better chances to win games we should. Only reason I say that is due to the huge improvement I expect from the division opponents. Rams will be better, 49ers are going to be as good or better. Arizona is a wild card till we see what they put together, but I expect a better offense and a tough defense still.

OP
OP
LoneHawkFan

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
I believe our top pick- or two- will be studs at their respective positions and not necessarily expected to start immediately. That's markedly different than any of the last three drafts w these guys.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I don't think it's going to be any different. This whole program has been built around competition. No one has been guaranteed a starting spot due to draft position. Everyone has had to earn their way, including 2 of our best players-- Wilson and Sherman.

Like it or not, we've still have holes- Most pressing is at WLB, nickle CB, DT, and DE, on defense and depth at WR, OL, and TE on offense.

We'll draft the players and give them a chance to contribute this year. We may end up cutting a few more this year than in year's past but the approach won't be any different.

Latest posts