Best TE for us in the draft: Ertz, Eifert, Escobar or Reed?

Edit: Who is the best tight end for us in the draft?

• Zach Ertz

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Tyler Eifert

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Gavin Escobar

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Jordan Reed

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters

seahawks875

Reaction score
I see us drafting a TE in either the first or second round to play across from zach miller as the U tight end. There are 4 options in the first 2 rounds, Zach Ertz, Tyler Eifert, Gavin Escobar or Jordan Reed. I say Tyler Eifert is the best tight end but its close between all 4 of them and I would be happy drafting any one of them. So who do you think is the best tight end in this draft?
Edit: who is the best tight end for us in the draft?

McGruff

Reaction score
Best TE in the draft, or best TE for us?

Because the answers to those questions are different.

OP
OP
S

seahawks875

Reaction score
McGruff":2wdgoazc said:
Best TE in the draft, or best TE for us?

Because the answers to those questions are different.
I should refrase that, best for us. Because I think Zach Ertz is the best tight end but Tyler Eifert is the best tight end for us because of his ability to win jump balls and make big plays without many opportunities.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think Reed is the best for us, because he offer the mst big play potential, something we lack from all of our receivers.

OP
OP
S

seahawks875

Reaction score
McGruff":1gq5nr08 said:
I think Reed is the best for us, because he offer the mst big play potential, something we lack from all of our receivers.
And we could get him in the second round while the other 3 would have to be 1st round picks, or we would have to trade up in the 2nd.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
McGruff":28a0quqc said:

GOLDEN freakin TATE hellooo

skater18000

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":cuo8240p said:
McGruff":cuo8240p said:

GOLDEN freakin TATE hellooo

He was the worst of all the receivers, as far as big plays... :sarcasm_on: :34853_doh:

OP
OP
S

seahawks875

Reaction score
DistantHawk":fieu975n said:
No love for Tavis Kelce?
I don't think Travis Kelce is as good of a reciever and is similar to zach miller, we need a receiving tight end or a "U" tight end.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
seahawks875":323ig14n said:
DistantHawk":323ig14n said:
No love for Tavis Kelce?
I don't think Travis Kelce is as good of a reciever and is similar to zach miller, we need a receiving tight end or a "U" tight end.
As much as I want to utilize a Jimmy Graham-type tight end receiver, I'm not sure Seattle wants to heavily feature a "U" tight end unless as more of a situational role player taking partial snaps as the #3 guy. If the idea is for Seattle to stick with mostly 2 "Y" tightends like they've done so far, it's not out of the realm of possibilities they'd draft a TE, not to upgrade Moore, but to upgrade McCoy. Personally I'd think it was awesome to have a Miller and Graham, but I'd be just as happy having two Miller's.

OP
OP
S

seahawks875

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3h3okk2g said:
seahawks875":3h3okk2g said:
Check out this article for more on tight end class and our need for one. http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... he-varying

Great article, though the writer pretty pretty much said a Zach Miller "Y" type tight end should be the teams highest priority.
It also had tyler Eifert and zach Ertz listed as guys that are U tight ends but are good enough blockers to play as a Y tight end, we could draft one of them in the first round

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
seahawks875":b7gf89ga said:
Recon_Hawk":b7gf89ga said:
seahawks875":b7gf89ga said:
Check out this article for more on tight end class and our need for one. http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... he-varying

Great article, though the writer pretty pretty much said a Zach Miller "Y" type tight end should be the teams highest priority.
It also had tyler Eifert and zach Ertz listed as guys that are U tight ends but are good enough blockers to play as a Y tight end, we could draft one of them in the first round
I agree. I wouldn't be against that. They're both receiving threats but can stay inline and block.

I think the joker tight end will be more addressed in the mid-rounds. Escobar or Reed falling to the 3rd would be an ideal pick to fill that role.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Here's my bottom line with TEs this year:

If you go TE in R1, he better have the ability to REPLACE Zach Miller in the future. This player should have the ability to be a consistent pass catching threat whilst becoming a good to great blocking TE. To me, the only person who has this ability/growth is Zach Ertz.

Now, if you want a strictly receiving TE, who can compliment the run game (blocking wise), then a) you don't spend a 1st rounder on him & b) you make sure this prospect has the athletic ability to consistently separate from S & LBs. To me, this is Jordan Reed. He has premiere athletic ability, even if he doesn't run a 4.4. I was actually surprised how I did see effective blocking from him, even if it wasn't pretty/mauling. He had plenty of chips and good angles to create enough lanes for the RB to get positive yardage. Again, you aren't drafting him for blocking, but I was genuinely surprised by his effectiveness (see TAMU game for some examples of this).

I've really paid attention to most of these TEs throughout the year. TE is not only my favorite position, but I also knew this could be a position of need/interest this year. After watching all of these guys, I have to say my favorite TE in this draft (relative to perceived draft value) is Jordan Reed. He won't run a 4.4, but he has elite athletic ability for a TE and was surprised how much better his blocking was (it's still not 'good') than what I had heard. He is not a mauler (never will be) but he's athletic and just big enough to create enough space in the blocking game to not "show" the Seahawks hand when he is in the game. Quite honestly, I like him a lot more than Aaron Hernandez (coming out) and I could see the Seahawks really loving him as a prospect. He was a former QB which gives him a unique ability to better understand the passing game. I could easily see him becoming the go to guy of Russell Wilson on 3rd down and in the RZ. I don't know anything about his attitude/work ethic, but for a former QB, he made a very nice transition to the TE position, especially when you realize he played in the SEC.

OP
OP
S

seahawks875

Reaction score
At first glance, I thought Escobar and Eifert were the two best tight ends because of thier physicality and highlight reel catches, but after watching more tape, I prefer Zach Ertz and Jordan Reed because of thier superior athleticism and route running ability. Of the two, I would choose Jordan Reed because I think he has better hands, is more athletic and does better after TE catch than Ertz.
Here are my new tight end rankings:
1. Jordan Reed
2. Zach Ertz
3. Gavin Escobar
4. Tyler Eiffert

smashmouth59

Reaction score
Jordan Reed. Though i doubt he will last till our 2nd round pick, which is another reason i see us moving around a lot in this draft.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I really like Escobar, players that stand out on teams without a glut of powerhouse talent would seem to mesh with this teams mentality. I think they could all add something to Seattle but I would pick Escobar given the choice unless he came across as a diva or something when interviewing.

OP
OP
S

seahawks875

Reaction score
12th_Bob":22y8fhpk said:
I really like Escobar, players that stand out on teams without a glut of powerhouse talent would seem to mesh with this teams mentality. I think they could all add something to Seattle but I would pick Escobar given the choice unless he came across as a diva or something when interviewing.
I've seen some of his interviews, seems like the opposite of a diva