Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Jordan Rodgers---6th/7th round

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Other (write-in below)

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
If Seattle wants to draft a quarterback who can backup Wilson at the #2 spot, either this year or next, which QB do you like best given their current draft stock?

Note: I've used CBSSports.com's grading for each prospect. Three other QBs received 1st/2nd round grades (Glennon, Nassib, & Wilson), but for this poll I'm assuming they go before our #56 pick.

drrew

Reaction score
I'd want EJ Manuel, but if the answer is EJ in the 2nd vs Matt Scott in the 5th, I'll take the latter.

cover-2

Reaction score
I haven't really focused on QB's this year, but the one guy I am intrigued with is Minnesota QB MarQueis Gray; I put him in one of my mock drafts a while back. He is 6-5 250 lbs., athletic, and has experience running some zone option-read stuff. He does not have a lot of experience as a starting QB, but he has a ton of upside. He has some playing experience as a WR, so if he does not develop as a QB we could always switch him to WR. He is a late round prospect, but he is worth taking a flier on.

Here are a few highlights of him, he is wearing jersey #5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8_y6Xs6Kxs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Y3FG0uzVe4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Y3FG0uzVe4

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Lately, I've been on the Zac Dysert bandwagon with our late 4th round pick or early 5th rd. Outside of the Senior Bowl, I really liked his tape.

chris98251

Reaction score
Matt Barkley, seen some mocks where he could fall to the second round. Not likely to happen but I don't think we take a QB till real real late if at all anyway.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Matt is not a good fit if we want a player with a similar skills profile to Russell. He's not going to be a guy who can run the read option fully because he doesn't have the running ability.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":8l8yotvx said:
Matt is not a good fit if we want a player with a similar skills profile to Russell. He's not going to be a guy who can run the read option fully because he doesn't have the running ability.
I've seen this argument a few times as it relates to finding a backup QB. I'm not sure I agree. Consider the Redskins. Carroll and Bevel admitted to borrowing extensively from Shanahan's playbook and how he deployed RG3, so clearly there is some respect for Shanahan's football acumen. But, interestingly, Shanahan was also the one who drafted Kirk Cousins to become RG3's backup even though he was not remotely the same type of player and obviously does not fit the read-option scheme. Why would the Skins draft a traditional drop back passer and why should the Hawks do the same?

1) The Read-Option may be a Fad

The read-option was tremendously effective last year and may continue to be in the short term but we have seen fad schemes like the run and shoot, the wildcat, Martz spread, have momentary success only to be eventually neutralized as defenses caught up. The Patriots broke numerous offensive records last year with a QB that has no running skills but whom can read defenses, make quick decisions and throw accurately. QB's that can operate out of the pro-set, like Brady, will always lead the most prolific scoring offenses. I'm not suggesting that Bradys and Mannings are falling off trees, just that it makes sense to continue to draft players from that template.

2) The read-option creates greater risk of injury

Does the read-option subject QBs to more hits vs a pocket passer? I have nothing empirically to confirm that but logic suggests it is so. RG3 could have just as easily been hurt throwing from the pocket as when he was scrambling and certainly pocket passers have been injured on blindside rushes etc. But, going forward, the #1 way that defenses are going to punish read option teams is by ignoring the option handoff and clobbering the QB. Over the course of a game and a season these will surely effect durability / create injuries. Wilson has been smart in how he has run but he is still at greater risk than traditional QBs. Getting another player like RW that will be similarly exposed just seems like playing Russian roulette with two bullets in the chamber...

3) Scheme diversity

Despite the Redskins tailoring their offense to fit RG3's skillset, Cousins was able to come off the bench and still be highly effective. He threw for 4 TDs, completed 69% of his passes and had a 101 QB rating in relief. How is that possible when he is constrained by an offense designed for a different style player? Obviously, the two schemes can coexist. A playbook can accommodate several different play styles. A big upside to this scheme diversity is it keeps defenses off balance, it forces them to prepare for multiple attacks. In that sense it behooves us to draft something different than Russell 2.0.

With that said IF Barkley really did fall to us in Round 2 I would definitely take him. An argument could be made to even consider him at #25 and potentially trade him for multiple picks down the road although, admittedly, that would be risky. I am a big fan of Barkley and think that last year was an anomaly.

Either way I wouldn't dismiss pocket passers just because of the scheme we are running with Wilson.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Neither would I. But in this case Pete has indicated they'd like to find a guy who has a similar skill set to Russell so they wouldn't have to tweak the offense if said backup had to play.

I'm also not convinced Matt is going to fall as far as some pundits think.

aawolf

Reaction score
I can't believe so many people agreed with me about Matt Scott. Ideally, I'd like EJ in the third round. But, if not him, then I'd take any of those listed after the fourth round. EJ is my top choice in the thrid though.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Meh, I'm not really a fan of any. Manuel and Bray are going to go higher than the Hawks can reasonable think about taking a backup. Dysert I like but not earlier than the fifth, and I don't know how the Hawks will rate him seeing as he's not much of a runner. Scott and Rodgers are the most likely options. Personally I'm pretty "meh" on Scott. I've only seen a few games of his, but the ones I've seen haven't impressed me. He didn't appear all that elusive in the pocket, his accuracy was streaky, and he stares down his receivers. That said he does have some arm talent and makes enough plays and has enough physical gifts to think he can be coached up.

Damn I wish Chandler Harnish was in this draft. He's the ideal Wilson backup.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Ryan Nassib, Round 4.

The oracle has spoken. This kid will be an NFL starter if given the chance.

HawkWow

Reaction score
(not saying anything everybody doesn't already know but....) QBs are at a premium this year and what would have been 3rd & 4th rders last year will litter the first and second this year. After his '12 season, I wouldn't rate Barkley any higher than Foles or Cousins. He will still likely go in the first just because teams just can't help themselves, or admit USC QBs suck as pros. That said, I would just as soon get Flynn to restructure and keep him, unless we could grab Manuel in like the 4th...which won't happen.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
If Matt Flynn gets traded... I think I'd like to see Josh Portis return. Is he on a Roster? The guys that I think are intriguing that could be worthwhile projects / later round players are Brad Sorensen of So. Utah and Ryan Griffin of Tulane. You may watch youtube highlights of Sorensen. Griffin was impressive in the Texas vs. The Nation game.

kearly

Reaction score
I voted for Matt Scott. He is a bit like this year's Darron Thomas in terms of hype- it's completely non-existent despite there being reasons to really like him as a backup/project.

I'm interested in Jordan Rodgers as well. What little I've seen of him, he can extend plays with this feet while keeping his eyes downfield, and can check through reads. Very similar mobility to his brother, and to Matt Scott. Probably taken off a lot of boards because of his size, but I could see him being a really nice backup.