Unorthodox draft idea

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
We all know the biggest need on this team is probably at DE. A pass rusher. A guy that single handedly can change an entire offensive gameplan with his disruption.

In 2013.. there isn't such a guy. In 2014 though, there will be. This man..

clowney1-1-1-13.gif

We don't have a whole lot of needs.. not like say a Jacksonville, Kansas City, Oakland, etc.

So why not trade a couple of this years picks to a possible bottom feeder in 2013 in return for their 2014 1st rounder? In a sense it'd be like a gamble that we could possibly find ourselves with the 1st overall next season with Jadeveon Clowney available to be selected.

CPHawk

Reaction score
You would be gambling on the teams future hoping they are still bad, and you are betting that he comes out early. Either way you could easily get bit in the ass. The Dolphins where horrible for years then somehow won 10 games. Detroit 0-16 and won what 8 games the next year. The NFL is the easiest to turn a bad team into at least a mediocre team of any of the sports. Seems like a huge gamble to me, when you could very likely end up with a 12 pick instead of the number 1 you hoped for.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
This is always an idea that is in my head...but I think if we look at how this year played out, I know I was freaked about the Rams having 2 first round picks in the top 12. Now they pick 18 & 22. So, you'd inevitably get your value back, but I think we have such a good team now that playing too far in the future isn't the best idea.

I also think we will see supreme value at 25 this year. This is a unique draft where the talent at 40 isn't too drastically different than 15 (barring a player like Warmack doesn't slip that far). Not to mention, how certain positions are valued, we will be looking at the top talent when we pick that fits a big need (sans DT, but WR & WIL).

lukerguy

Reaction score
CPHawk":2ke491dt said:
You would be gambling on the teams future hoping they are still bad, and you are betting that he comes out early. Either way you could easily get bit in the ass. The Dolphins where horrible for years then somehow won 10 games. Detroit 0-16 and won what 8 games the next year. The NFL is the easiest to turn a bad team into at least a mediocre team of any of the sports. Seems like a huge gamble to me, when you could very likely end up with a 12 pick instead of the number 1 you hoped for.

Only teams that I'd be willing to bet on would be Oakland and Tennessee.

Oakland because it's Oakland..

and Tennessee because they aren't very good, and on top of that have to play Houston twice, Indi twice, Seattle, STL, SF, and AZ